What's new

Allergy — itchy rash

blissy

Kava Curious
Thank you Violet :kiss:
The facial swelling sounds miserable, I hope it is all gone by the time you wake in the morning (((HUGS)))
It's not much better, no. But I slept way too much and this normally swell my face anyway :oops:

KavaGurl

The Original Kava Forum Mama
Hiya blissy..Sooo sorry to hear you got a case of the itchy scratchys too!:facepalm: I've been dealing with the dreaded flake monster myself for a while now, although I haven't had any hives..just very dry, flaky nonsense ALLOVER.:wtf: I tried the Amlactin..then decided to switch to instant only and that seemed to help a great deal..even though the effect just aren't the same as good ole root powder:meh:..I need more body melt since I struggle with FM etc..Oh and here's a little tip...Try a nice body scrub..like Softsoap Bodybutter Coconut scrub! It has worked wonders..I'm back to silky smoothness:joyful: I hope you feel better soon!

blissy

Kava Curious
:kiss: Thank you dear Gurl!
I'm surprised to see there are that many skin problems… and none like the other! Good to see you could cope with yours :happy:
For now I won't try scrubbing because my skin is covered with red dots (very glamourous ), but I know what to do if it gets all dry and flaky :)
Thank you all for your support and input

Last edited:

Akava

Kava Enthusiast
Yeah blissy I think it was me who said I was going almost all instant/extract, I use instant and extract interchangeably but right now I use the paradise one

Hand peeling went away completely, itchy armpits went away 90%, soar skin on back went away 100%, the worst I get now is a few red spots when I sweat

So yeah, its a hell of a lot better

blissy

Kava Curious
Good to know Akava ;)
Just one more question if you please. Were you done with reverse tolerance before you changed your kava drinking habits (to instant and extract that is)?

B

Blossom

Hi everybody. I am here to report that I believe I also suffered from hives due to Kava Kava. I haven't taken it since mid-November and am still battling these red "itchy under skin" patches that come and go mostly on hands and feet and armpits. I am really bummed because I loved how the Kava made me feel anxiety-wise. But this is not a trade-off I can deal with. I think I was taking it for about a week when this started. I was taking 4 capsules of Herb Pharm Kava. Says each capsule contains 200 mg. of Kava (Piper methysticum) rhizome and root extract providing 60 mg. of kavalactones. My question to you guys are:

- Have there been individuals that have had this side effect for as long as I have after stopping the Kava? It's 3.5 weeks now!
- Any ideas how to get over these hives other than stopping Kava? How to flush this out of my system?

Thanks, everybody.
Blossom

blissy

Kava Curious
Hello Blossom, I'm sorry for your hives issue :( Mine didn't last that long, but I stopped drinking kava the very next day it appeared. Most of us experience with skin problems due to kava, yours sounds much like this one : http://www.kavaforums.com/forum/threads/suspected-dermopathy. Don't hesitate to copy-paste your message there so you will get answers, sharing of experience and advice.
I had small red spots everywhere except on my hands and inferior part of my legs, and feet. Perhaps due blood circulation problems I have, the rash didn't get there lol
And also for other members wondering:
In exactly a week and a day it was all completely cleared. Now I'm a bit reluctant to try kneading again, although I long to retry and hit that tolerance :arghh: 2 kavaless weeks, hell, I'm doing some tomorrow :shameshame:

yepimonfire

Kava Enthusiast
I actually got this from drinking kava, here's my advice if you want to keep drinking kava, don't take a break, keep drinking it in small amounts daily, I don't think it's an allergic reaction because neither benadryl nor an epipen did anything for it, but a strange form of dermopathy that is temporary. If you take a break, it will return upon resuming kava. Keep drinking it, take benadryl as a precaution daily, it will only cause drowsiness for a couple of days, the rash will clear and you won't get it again, if you take more than a 2 week break from kava, your "immunity" will diminish an you will come down with a mild version of it again for a day. This is all my experience btw, so take it at your own risk, and do be careful.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

D

Deactivated Account

I get the rash big time from powdered kava. I just back off on it...drink plenty of water...take Vit B suppliment & use lots of skin moisturiser for a week or so.

That's it for me...there is no short cut.

Cleverly though, there is still one secret answer...everyone in the forum join me in Port Vila in Febuary for a kava-a-thon because I've never had the rash from fresh kava.

gaia.tree

Kava Curious
I made the egregious mistake of going on a kava drinking run while recovering from scabies. My skin was dry to begin with as I have been taking bleach baths to kill the little fuckers, and taking antiparasitics internally. I am doing okay and feeling nice from the kava, but my skin is terrifyingly dry and scaly on my face and elbows, and the itchiness hasnt subsided. I have been treating my scabies for a couple weeks now, and I am pretty sure most of my itching is the "post scabies" which is the skins allergic reaction to the dead mites and detritus left in the skin (it can take up to a couple months for the itching to stop after successful treatment)

Moral of the story, if you have any condition where your skin is dry and itchy to begin with, I would suggest being very cautious with kava drinking... I had a super crazy scary rash show up yesterday, and since I am pigheaded I just kept drinking my kava...luckily I finished it off this evening/morning and wont be drinking anymore until my skin is fully recovered and moisturized from my bout with the itch mites. I will be waiting till I get back to Hawaii, where I can buy $30 a pound Fiji at the local health food store in the bulk section.

blissy

Kava Curious
Must not be simple to deal with that, take care Gaia :(

2 kavaless weeks, hell, I'm doing some tomorrow :shameshame:
I drank some Hawaiian the other day and so… rash and itch again :bored:
This time it didn't spread unevenly, it was all over at the same time and much less intense. Nothing left by the end of the following night fortunately.
I've just bought some Benadryl-like pills, I will give kava a shot again this evening for I still have some of my last brew. I'm thinking of filtering completely the sand left at the bottom so I have the clearest drink possible.
See you all soon :kiss:

violet

Do all things with love
@blissy since I took my little kava break I've been straining more carefully and allowing the sand to sink to the bottom before I chug my brew, and I no longer drink the sediment. It has helped me immensely, just a little bit of dry flakiness here and there until yesterday. I love how well Melo Melo synergizes with Boroguru, but it just doesn't sit well with me. I'm trying to use it up since I'm running out of Boroguru, so I made my brew yesterday half of each. Not only did it give me severe nausea, but my dermopathy came up a little pink and irritated in places today. It might be okay in tiny amounts, but since my dermopathy first broke out right after starting the Melo Melo, I think I will be trying other strains instead. I am glad your rash cleared for you quickly this time around!

@Ouroboros thank you for that, I'll be jumping into this book once this semester is finished. The idea of "sesquiterpenical lactones" does give me some other things to look at, considering there are a few things that give me skin issues.

blissy

Kava Curious
but I was thinking... if any of us did a crime bloodhounds could find us SO easily
Haha no doubt! Beware you all kava drinking criminals :D
What the book mentions is interesting. I'll see if I can find it somewhere as I always see it referenced here and there.

@violet
I didn't have kava last night but today I'm going to, the way you do, without the sediment :)
Do you feel a big difference as to the effects with and without?

violet

Do all things with love
@blissy I did notice a small difference at first, but then the difference was no longer noticeable. I feel it is a very worthy tradeoff for being able to drink kava without my skin suffering terribly.

burnstrees

in love with the kava
@yepimonfire i'm new to kava, and to this forum actually! i've been drinking instant for the past couple days, and i JUST randomly started breaking out. i've been getting krunk all night, however it was about 5 minutes after taking some 1hr break extract under the tongue that i noticed the symptoms. googled allergic reactions to kava and i found this thread. i was so worried! i really wanted to use kava to fight my alcoholism, and i've had really good results so far, so the thought of not being able to use it was really disappointing. but, i'm going to take your advice and get some benadryl if it gets any worse and hopefully i'll be ok. however, the rash i have right now is barely noticable, along with a few other slightly tingly spots and my eye feels like there is something stuck in it. i still have a few shells of kava left and i'm tempted to drink them, lol. i have a feeling it was the extract that fucked me up though. do different types of kava make a difference of whether or not you have a reaction?

D

Deleted User01

@Burntrees, I'm not a fan of extract because you never know what else is in it or what chemicals were used to create it. Take a few days break from Kava until the rash disappears. Then just try simple kava in water. Instant, Micronized, or Grog. Drink it like the Islanders did for 3000 years, just plant material and water. See if the symptoms return. Also, don't over do it and space out your shells every 20 minutes.
[Begin Rant]
And please make sure that the kava you drink has been tested and is Noble. I tire of Newbies complaining about Kava side effects after drinking kava that has tasted poorly and is "blended" with tudei. It's not the Newbiesr fault, the industry needs some kind of "Testing Stamp of Approval" so consumers know what they are getting. [End of Rant]

burnstrees

in love with the kava
My kava is from GHK. And I've been drinking it with water already lol :) @Deleted User01 the symptoms are slowly fading and it's been maybe 30 min - an hr. i'm hoping it was just the extract because that crap sucked anyways.

D

Deleted User01

That's my point, I hope it was just the extract. Maybe some impurity in there that kicked it off. But I think you gotta give it a day to run its course before you start up again. Hopefully you'll be ok before the weekend starts and the "other temptation" rears its head. I will tell you this, I still have wine or beer about 2 times a week. On those days, I really, really miss Kava sleep. Kava is gentle too and keeps you in a good mood. The dogs don't cringe when they see you on kava. :D What am I talking about, the Wife don't cringe
either. :LOL: Good luck @burntrees, there is always something that is going to attempt to block your path but just put your head down and go for another 5 yards. (y)