What's new

Aluball

blindy107

Kava Lover
lol nope it won't improve the taste. The AluBall is pretty cool, but it's not magical. :ROFLMAO: Try mixing with a little citric acid containing drink mix (such as Crystal Light Lemonade mix). Does wonders for the taste. Avoid anything with ascorbic acid though, because that can react with the kavalactones
How does vitamin C react with kavalactones? You mean mixing them together directly or consuming at the same time?

verticity

I'm interested in things
How does vitamin C react with kavalactones? You mean mixing them together directly or consuming at the same time?
Mixing them together. Ascorbic acid is a reducing agent. That means it can turn a double bond into a single bond, among other things. So theoretically it could actually change one of the double bonds in kavain into a single bond, giving DHK, or Methysticin into DHM. (And yes kavain is "double-bonded", and DHK is "single-bonded", not the other way around) It could also possibly attack the double bond on the lactone ring, and turn the molecule into something that is not a kavalactone (in other words, it could destroy it)

Now, how efficient these reactions might be, I actually have no idea: it might convert and/or destroy all, or some, or a tiny amount of the kavain, depending on various factors.

Reference from Lebot:
lebot_ascorbic_acit_quote.jpg

Last edited:

blindy107

Kava Lover
Mixing them together. Ascorbic acid is a reducing agent. That means it can turn a double bond into a single bond, among other things. So theoretically it could actually change one of the double bonds in kavain into a single bond, giving DHK, or Methysticin into DHM. (And yes kavain is "double-bonded", and DHK is "single-bonded", not the other way around) It could also possibly attack the double bond on the lactone ring, and turn the molecule into something that is not a kavalactone (in other words, it could destroy it)

Now, how efficient these reactions might be, I actually have no idea: it might convert and/or destroy all, or some, or a tiny amount of the kavain, depending on various factors.
Over my head but thanks for the info. Good to know! I love ascorbic acid. Keeps my guacamole and apple juice green as can be!