What's new

Aluball

Capitán Bastos

Presanteur
I've had mine a few months now, I shake the crap out of it for 2 minutes with cold tap water. No cracks yet. That said, when I do make a traditional batch with a Fijian strainer or knee highs I use hot tap water. I haven't been able to feel a difference in effects between the two methods. Just more convenience with the ball.
I would say I've been using the Aluball at least 90% of the time since I got it, maybe more.
That's just it, everyone is using theirs and shaking the living daylights out of their balls, but my balls break.
It's just not fair. You know? Makes me want the blanky.

avahZ

YAHWEH Shalom
I am not a heavy kava drinker, so this is perfect for me. The grog from this is nice and smooth. I only use it about twice a week so maybe it won't break on me anytime soon. Granted entropy gets everything, eventually...

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
An aluball tip which may or may not be obvious is to use multiple aluballs with smaller amounts of powder in each. I've got 5 aluballs and a few shakers so if I want to make up one shell of strongish kava rather than try and put 3 tablespoons in one aluball I spread it out over two. This prevents it leaving a dry bit in the middle of the ball which can happen if you're not careful.

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
An aluball tip which may or may not be obvious is to use multiple aluballs with smaller amounts of powder in each. I've got 5 aluballs and a few shakers so if I want to make up one shell of strongish kava rather than try and put 3 tablespoons in one aluball I spread it out over two. This prevents it leaving a dry bit in the middle of the ball which can happen if you're not careful.
I think this is spot on advice.

blindy107

Kava Lover
I have just been packing one ball up to like 30grams of root. It's been pretty solid.

Just for full disclosure, I've never had a stronger shell of kava than I did at BKH @Judd Rench. My wife barely finished half of one. It was incredible. That being said, this little ball has made things easier when I'm in a rush. Maybe it's a little weaker but it's easy! Whether it's mostly sediment or lactone I can't say definitively but I'm sold on it. As @Capitán Bastos mentioned, the screen does seem to get a little flimsy along the edges.

And some eye candy...
image.jpeg

Last edited:

verticity

I'm interested in things
I've been quite satisfied with my (Alu)balls. The prepared kava is not quite as strong as hand kneaded, probably because I use hot water for kneading, but my (Alu)balls are sensitive to hot water, so I use room temperature water. So I need to do a couple washes. (I'm not one of those weirdos who shaves them--I just like having clean (Alu)balls). And the convenience cannot be beaten. The prepared kava does not cause me any more stomach upset than traditional preparation, so it seems that the 70 micron mesh is sufficiently fine. Great product; I recommend that everyone get a pair.

Capitán Bastos

Presanteur
I've been quite satisfied with my (Alu)balls. The prepared kava is not quite as strong as hand kneaded, probably because I use hot water for kneading, but my (Alu)balls are sensitive to hot water, so I use room temperature water. So I need to do a couple washes. (I'm not one of those weirdos who shaves them--I just like having clean (Alu)balls). And the convenience cannot be beaten. The prepared kava does not cause me any more stomach upset than traditional preparation, so it seems that the 70 micron mesh is sufficiently fine. Great product; I recommend that everyone get a pair.
The new pair of (alu)balls really delivered some powerful juice. I find that having an extra pair laying around works wonders for our marriage. That said, one of the new balls busted open the other day and when that happened and I chugged, it was an instant gagfest. I've been drinking mostly mate the past 5-6 days. Only downside is that some mates are deceptively strong and can keep me up at night. That's why I mixed yeti juice and Hiwa 5am this morning l, that in turn is why I was not able to attend a meeting @ 10am...
It's now 6pm and I'm about to have breakfast.

yardcat

Kava Lightweight
+1 on that. You're right about the slight difference in strength, but being I'm too lazy to do second or third washes the traditional way, doing a second wash with my balls more than makes up for it, just add water and shake. Getting a pair is the way to go. Now for a word from my favorite Senior Drill Instructor

yardcat

Kava Lightweight
can you put micronized kava in aluball?
My thought is if it is GHK it is unnecessary because the makas have been removed. Probably most of any micro though would come through the screens anyway. Never tried it though.

Skywalker

Kava Enthusiast
@Judd Rench when I was at BKH I also had the strongest shell I've ever had. I had two and was floored. AMAZING! Whats the secret? Do you use a grip strength test as an interview tool? When I was there I saw small ish women working the bar and couldn't figure out how they did it. Although there was a very large juicing machine behind the counter.

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
@Judd Rench when I was at BKH I also had the strongest shell I've ever had. I had two and was floored. AMAZING! Whats the secret? Do you use a grip strength test as an interview tool? When I was there I saw small ish women working the bar and couldn't figure out how they did it. Although there was a very large juicing machine behind the counter.
Lots of strong root is the secret. We like strong varieties and we use quite a heavy ratio. 200 grams for every 4 quarts, then traditional knead and squeeze for 10 minutes.

verticity

I'm interested in things
can you put micronized kava in aluball?
You could. It would remove any particles larger than 70 microns. Most would pass right through. It might be helpful if your stomach is sensitive to micronized, like mine is; otherwise it is not necessary.

moff000

Kava Enthusiast
You could. It would remove any particles larger than 70 microns. Most would pass right through. It might be helpful if your stomach is sensitive to micronized, like mine is; otherwise it is not necessary.
I wondered if i put the micronized in the aluball would it help with the taste? If not i can get past the taste to enjoy the results!

verticity

I'm interested in things
I wondered if i put the micronized in the aluball would it help with the taste? If not i can get past the taste to enjoy the results!
lol nope it won't improve the taste. The AluBall is pretty cool, but it's not magical. :ROFLMAO: Try mixing with a little citric acid containing drink mix (such as Crystal Light Lemonade mix). Does wonders for the taste. Avoid anything with ascorbic acid though, because that can react with the kavalactones