What's new

Any stay at home parents that drink Kava?

Rikki Marie

Kava Curious
I'm a stay at home mom of three boys, and I've dealt with anxiety and mood swings for years. I had postpartum depression after each child was born, and I finally caved and got on Zoloft after I had my youngest son a year ago. I'm from a very health conscious family, and didn't like the idea of being on pharmaceutical drugs, but in those dark times I used it to save my marriage from the horrible effects of ppd again. After three months I quit taking it as I couldn't stand the thought of it anymore. My hormones leveled out and I got back to normal after 2 more months. My question is this: the anxiety I've always experienced is still there, so after weeks and weeks of researching Kava, I want to give it a try...is it safe to consume everyday when taking care of children as long as I don't "over consume?" I don't want to be lethargic or sleepy, and I want to stay clear headed. After reading/watching reviews I believe I'll try the Kalm with Kava Faji Loa Waka, it seems to have good reviews for treating anxiety. (I know different kinds affect people differently, but this is the overall concensus I've found)
Any information would be much appreciated, I'd love to find something like Kava that can help me - but my children are my main concern.

Rikki Marie

Kava Curious
I love Loa Waka from KWK. It should be okay as long as you keep it to small amounts. Don't get krunked til the lil ones are asleep, but one shell every 4 hours or so during the day wouldn't be bad if they are not strong shells.
Thank you for responding! I'm nervous but excited to see how it can possibly help. If not I'll just accept being an anxious worry wart, ha!

I don't know

Kava Enthusiast
Thank you for responding! I'm nervous but excited to see how it can possibly help. If not I'll just accept being an anxious worry wart, ha!
You're welcome. I deal with anxiety, depression, mood swings, etc. Kava is really helping me to cope better and to not freak out over everything. It just keeps mellow and doesn't cause a brain fog. I take small amounts at work and can deal with a lot of work without all the stress. I take larger amounts when I am at home for the evening.

Rikki Marie

Kava Curious
You're welcome. I deal with anxiety, depression, mood swings, etc. Kava is really helping me to cope better and to not freak out over everything. It just keeps mellow and doesn't cause a brain fog. I take small amounts at work and can deal with a lot of work without all the stress. I take larger amounts when I am at home for the evening.
That's exactly what I'm looking for. Something that will keep me mellow without the brain fog.

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
Yeah I think micro would be your best bet . Prep can be a mess and takes time and being home. If your running around and end up in some crazy situations having a little micro and a water bottle or whatever drink can be a nice helper . I also suggest getting some candy's, I can say Ive never "crashed" from a candy before, nor from a teaspoon or so every couple hours.
The only time you end up getting lethargic is if you use recreational ly and over consume to quick. Anxiety for me atleast is pretty much gone from a shell, or a teaspoon in micro. Then I feel the anti anxiety throughout the day.

To sum up you will be alset and I doubt you will over consume, if you do you will just not do it next time. Loa Waka sounds like a good choice. Moi too, pouni ono is variable but is very uppy to me as well. Candies are always upbeat if it's daytime but calming at night which is awesome lol
Oh ya and Welcome :)

Rikki Marie

Kava Curious
Well the perk of staying at home will allow me to make it in the morning. Can I make a batch, drink one shell, and keep the rest in the fridge for later in the day? I just feel like I want to give it a good solid try first. I planned on getting a sample order of the candies as well, but I didn't know if they really worked that great. I've read how a few people will drink it and then later use the candy because it isn't as strong, which wouldn't be such a bad thing for me to do. I'm hoping to get my powder delivered by the end of this week/beginning of next week. Thanks for the tips!

blindy107

Kava Lover
Honestly they all make me pretty useless. The problem I run into with kava and family interaction is that, at times, I will find myself LESS patient with the noise of kiddos doing what they do. It's like I'm offended that they would interfere with my mellow and I can get snappy. It's an odd reversal of effects.

Just wanted to point it out in case it happens to you as well. Always prepare!

Welcome! Glad you found us.

Rikki Marie

Kava Curious
Honestly they all make me pretty useless. The problem I run into with kava and family interaction is that, at times, I will find myself LESS patient with the noise of kiddos doing what they do. It's like I'm offended that they would interfere with my mellow and I can get snappy. It's an odd reversal of effects.

Just wanted to point it out in case it happens to you as well. Always prepare!

Welcome! Glad you found us.
Oh no! See that's what makes me nervous about it. Maybe I'll start out on a weekend so my husband will be home in case I don't respond well to it at first. TY!

blindy107

Kava Lover
Oh no! See that's what makes me nervous about it. Maybe I'll start out on a weekend so my husband will be home in case I don't respond well to it at first. TY!
It's not so much that I don't respond well to kava. In fact it works much better for general anxiety and sleeplessness than I ever expected.

It just seems to make me value the calm more. Hahah

Rikki Marie

Kava Curious
It's not so much that I don't respond well to kava. In fact it works much better for general anxiety and sleeplessness than I ever expected.

It just seems to make me value the calm more. Hahah
Hahaha, thats funny! I understand completely. As parents I think we all have a better appreciation for calm post-kids.

Rikki Marie

Kava Curious
Don't forget about the reverse tolerance, it may take you a few days or even a week or more to really feel the effects. You may want to purchase some root that is cost effective to begin with.
Well I don't want to get an inferior kava to begin with and I do want to make sure I get it from a reputable company, so what would you recommend (if you don't mind)?