What's new

Any stay at home parents that drink Kava?

Ligermeat

Warm and Fuzzeh!
Actually, I'm going to be honest - I've heard the word "heady" thrown around but what does that actually mean? I swear I'm normally a smart cookie ;)
Heady effects:

*Euphoria
*Empathy
*Sensory enhancement/distortion.

Heavy effects:
*Muscle relaxation
*Brain fog
*Sleepiness

I don't know

Kava Enthusiast
I don't get brain fog from heavy kavas and most of them don't make me sleepy unless I take a lot. They do make me lazy though where I just want to chill. I find balanced kavas to be the best because they are both heady and heavy. Also, I find kava to help me in my interactions with other people. My family drives me crazy and I have a teenager who sometimes likes to push my buttons. With kava I don't freak out with the stress and anxiety they give me. I deal with things in a calmer way. Small amounts at a time would be fine and Loa Waka is a good, balanced kava that doesn't make me lazy.

Any input @chandra?

rayken

Kava Enthusiast
you could def try kalm with kavas pre maid drinks or the concentrate, although i think the concentrate is being remade right now. both will taste way better then any other kava root whether it be micro or medium grind and they should work well at taking the edge off and making you feel better without making you overly tired

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Rikki,
While I don't stay at home I do have a pile load of kids that need to be taken all over the place every night. I don't think you will have any issues with Kava and watching the kids. I would recommend microgrind vs. traditional prep at least to start so you can easily adjust your dosage and sneak up on the amount that works for you. The strength of a traditional prep can vary quite a bit depending on multiple factors. Microgind is pretty easy to measure an exact amount and know what dosage you are getting.

Rikki Marie

Kava Curious
I think I will try the microgrind after the next paycheck hits the bank, if you know what I mean. It would certainly be easier for weekends when we are on the go!

chandra

Kava Enthusiast
My favorite is KWK Loa Waka. I usually consume about 4 teaspoons of micro at a time, and it has never interfered with my ability to care for my two year old. Even when I get krunked, I'm still thinking clearly and able to take care of her needs, although that's about all I want to do at that point. I have lots of anxiety myself, and being a stay at home mom is hard. Kava has been a real life saver for me. I've tried headier varieties but the Loa Waka works the best for me. Just start off slow and if you don't feel much affect you can always consume more.

Rikki Marie

Kava Curious
My favorite is KWK Loa Waka. I usually consume about 4 teaspoons of micro at a time, and it has never interfered with my ability to care for my two year old. Even when I get krunked, I'm still thinking clearly and able to take care of her needs, although that's about all I want to do at that point. I have lots of anxiety myself, and being a stay at home mom is hard. Kava has been a real life saver for me. I've tried headier varieties but the Loa Waka works the best for me. Just start off slow and if you don't feel much affect you can always consume more.
Thank you! That was a big help, I can't wait for it to be delivered.

chandra

Kava Enthusiast
You may want to try it in the evening the first time. The first time I try a new one it hits me really hard, and then it kind of levels out. It shouldn't impair your ability to care for your kids, but it may make you lazy. I've also noticed the anti anxiety effects of the Waka last into the next day for me somewhat. Part of it is just experimenting and finding out which one works with your body best, but I would say the Loa Waka is a great place to start. Some of the headier ones can actually cause some people to be more anxious.

Rikki Marie

Kava Curious
Bleh, more anxiety = no Bueno. I think I'll stick with the Fajiian (no idea how to spell that) for a little while. I don't want anything stronger and they seem the be a good middle of the ground type from what I hear. I might eventually be brave and try something else after I've had more experience. But for now I'll stick with that and the candy. My husband works 2nd shift so I will probably try it for the first time on the weekend in case I need a nap or something

chandra

Kava Enthusiast
Yeah the Waka is relaxing, but it's not too sedating unless you drink a lot of it. It never puts me to sleep, but when I get krunk I go into couch potato mode. As long as you start off slow, you should be able to find where you want to be. I would suggest having a shell, and if you aren't really feeling it have another one in 30 mins till you get to where you want to be. You can always drink more, but you can't go back and drink less. If you do get an actual buzz, don't be surprise if your face goes numb or your ears start ringing. I got kinda scared the first time my ears started ringing. I've never drank it and felt the need to go to sleep, but it can put you into ::couch:: potato mode. ;) That being said, it's never sedated me to the point that I couldn't do what I needed to do.

I don't know

Kava Enthusiast
Also, the Kava Candy works really well for me too. If you let it melt under your tongue it works best. I will just pop one at work and feel great. It has other calming ingredients besides kava and I like them as well.

I don't know

Kava Enthusiast
I like to mix some micro in a water bottle and freeze it. Then, drink it as it melts when I am out. A "shell" is 4 oz of water. So, when you see people chatting about it here that's what that means. Well, for people like me who don't actually use half a coconut shell as a cup like the traditional way.

blindy107

Kava Lover
I like to mix some micro in a water bottle and freeze it. Then, drink it as it melts when I am out. A "shell" is 4 oz of water. So, when you see people chatting about it here that's what that means. Well, for people like me who don't actually use half a coconut shell as a cup like the traditional way.
Speak for yourself...hah! I think my half coconut may have been from Chernobyl as it holds like 10oz.

Personally I prefer the well balanced roots. Moderation is the key to initial testing. Haha

Jr. Woodchuck

Lightweight
I just started drinking kava within the past few weeks and as an anxious worry wart, it's been a real blessing. The first night I overdid it and drank about 8 shells but didn't feel much. The next day I was buzzing and felt magical all day. Now I've actually been chugging big cups while on my break at work, and it's completely improved my attitude while dealing with customers. The only thing that scared me is I felt a bit too euphoric and happy to be at work, it felt weird. I personally think it will help with your mood and dealing with your family.