What's new

Anyone try fijifreshkava?

BulamamatoNCIRVCKKPC

Learn to love me, assemble the ways...
I thought the waka was very pleasant. It has a pleasing fresh scent and the taste isn't too overpowering. I felt a noticeable mood lift and more muscle relaxation/muscle spasm pain relief than I have experienced from kava in the past year or so. The higher levels of M and DHM really seem to add to the medicinal aspects. It doesn't have enough DHM to be really sedating, though. I kinda wish it had a 4652xx chemotype. I can see a lot of potential for blending...
Thank you for writing your review! I think I just might brew some up tonight. :)

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
Got mine today. Tried it this morning, but was already very sleepy before trying it so not going to rely on my first impression; that said, my first impression is that it is very nice, and calm dreamy, but not, agitating kava. That is something that I often look for but rarely find; reminds me of the Fiji kava I used to drink in the late 90's. Also, it goes down pretty easy.
@FijiFreshKava, how much do you anticipate the chemotype to change on a week to week basis (given that you are doing this differently than most vendors)? I'm always on the look out for a chemotype with yangonin in the last place (since, I think that might be the reason why some kavas seem so chilled out and non-agitating; though I have a love-hate relationship with yangonin and sometimes like high yangonin).

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
I’m trying the waka tonight. I made it a little too strong! :D I didn’t expect this potency. I like it. I’ll definitely be sleeping well tonight which is what i need. I’m also curious how this will be different in a non sleep deprived state. It’ll be fun to find out.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
To me the waka seems like a medicinal sort of kava. Warm, potent, sedating. Not much in the way of social vibes or energy. I've been out of milk whistle though and kava is making me so tired since i stopped taking it so that could be part of it. I only tried it once so far. The lawena seems kinda like kava vinaka lawena, which is definitely a good thing. Taste is very mild for both.

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
To me the waka seems like a medicinal sort of kava. Warm, potent, sedating. Not much in the way of social vibes or energy. I've been out of milk whistle though and kava is making me so tired since i stopped taking it so that could be part of it. I only tried it once so far. The lawena seems kinda like kava vinaka lawena, which is definitely a good thing. Taste is very mild for both.
Yeah, I noticed that warmth too, and I almost never notice warmth in a kava that people describe as warm. I think it might be nice, socially, for a very small group of close friends just visiting; definitely not something that makes you want to party. But I really like having that super chilled out vibe available in a kava. I don't know, but I think it either has something to do with the very low yangonin or the very high methysticin, or both. I kinda felt that way about the first batch of KT's Kadavu I tried, which also had yangonin in the last place of the chemotype (but the chemotype of that kava has since changed significantly; still a great kava though).

Last edited:

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
I hope it stays the same, because I like the effects. The kava has been consistent over the last two shipments, but I will test the chemotyope on every shipment to be sure.
Thanks for the response. What I was wondering is not shipment of whole roots to shipment of whole roots; but whether you've got dried plants from enough chemotypes and are making small enough batches that the simple fact that you're pounding small batches each week instead of blending everything together from a whole shipment might cause the chemotype of each week to be different. This wouldn't be a bad thing, almost kinda fun. I'm sure that those who go buy fresh waka to pound at a market in Fiji don't know what chemotype they're going to get.

Last edited:

FijiFreshKava

https://fijifresh.com
Kava Vendor
I understand now. There is variation from batch to batch, but not all that much (based on my routine consumption). All the plants are coming from one farm at a time, but the farms will have a variation inherently, because farmers have plants that vary in age somewhat. The only way to be 100% sure would be to test every plant. I assume clones are from adjacent plants and are therefore going to exhibit a similar chemotype. Also adjacent plants may be older or younger by 1-2 years (average 7yrs). Every once in a while I've gotten a sample that seems different, but it's hard to say because kava effects vary with physical state.

But essentially yes, since we pound small numbers of roots at a time, you will have no averaging out over the entire crop. There will be variations from one batch to another.

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
Yeah, I noticed that warmth too, and I almost never notice warmth in a kava that people describe as warm. I think it might be nice, socially, for a very small group of close friends just visiting; definitely not something that makes you want to party. But I really like having that super chilled out vibe available in a kava. I don't know, but I think it either has something to do with the very low yangonin or the very high methysticin, or both. I kinda felt that way about the first batch of KT's Kadavu I tried, which also had yangonin in the last place of the chemotype (but the chemotype of that kava has since changed significantly; still a great kava though).
I almost cancelled tonight because I was feeling so cozy after some of this kava. My friends insisted, and once I was at this bar with games and stuff; I was fine. Had good time, got silly, played air hockey. This is fascinating because it makes you think "nah, I don't want to do anything. I just want to chill." But once you force yourself out, it's actually quite fun.

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
I almost cancelled tonight because I was feeling so cozy after some of this kava. My friends insisted, and once I was at this bar with games and stuff; I was fine. Had good time, got silly, played air hockey. This is fascinating because it makes you think "nah, I don't want to do anything. I just want to chill." But once you force yourself out, it's actually quite fun.
Haha, I actually ended up drinking some more tonight and decided it was in my best interest to see human beings (since I hadn't really talked to anyone since Thursday) and so I went to the bar (a 3 minute walk from my front door). Yeah, it was fine at the bar; I wasn't amped up like I am if I drink alcohol, but I definitely enjoyed the experience.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
Second attempt tonight. This kava gives me an immediate vision effect, like skipping frames when you turn your head. Squanch is another kava that has done this for me too. It's actually kind of clear headed and calm as it sets in though. Not as sedating for me tonight, im back to taking milk thistle so that might help.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
The lawena is pretty nice but i haven't had it by itself yet. I can tell it's pretty good and potent.

Last edited:

ProjectK

Kava Enthusiast
This is some really quality stuff. The waka has such a good taste, best ive ever had honestly. It is very potent and balanced (leaning a bit more heady). Good Fijian kavas are the best man.

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
To me the waka seems like a medicinal sort of kava.
That is exactly how I feel about it. It's not as strongly heady as some others or knock out sedating as the kava I usually enjoy the most. The relaxation is very comfortable and pleasant while not slowing you down as much as some of the others. The fact that I got consistent pain relief is probably what I liked most about it. It's been a long time since I've had a kava that has really helped reduce pain levels rather than just distract me from it with the mood lift or help me sleep through it. I just hope the consistency can be maintained over time. The only thing I would like to see changed would be higher KL% with the same chemotype and KL ratio.

PsyGuru

Kava Enthusiast
This one is stimulating and euphoric without being edgy. Relaxing and calming with no sedation. Very smooth in flavor and effects. Higher doses may give good elevating effects. Actually it tastes really good. Potent but clear headed. Lot of oxymorons at play here but in a positive sense.

I never had fresh kava but this could possibly be the freshest tasting kava I had. The liquid has a mild green hue.

I had to add a little 11 year waka to the last few shells to get some sleep. But it wont keep you up nor will it put you to sleep.

Overall very good kava for day time to early evening. I have to try the lawena.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
I hope it stays the same, because I like the effects. The kava has been consistent over the last two shipments, but I will test the chemotyope on every shipment to be sure.
Thanks for sending out the email! That's what I was wondering about in my previous question. Its pretty cool to be able to get small batch kava with small batch characteristics. Doesn't hurt to do it old school and try it to find out what it's like. When I first drank kava in the 90's I don't remember anyone trying to give more than a very broad country to country generalization about what to expect from a kava.

ProjectK

Kava Enthusiast
This one is stimulating and euphoric without being edgy. Relaxing and calming with no sedation. Very smooth in flavor and effects. Higher doses may give good elevating effects. Actually it tastes really good. Potent but clear headed. Lot of oxymorons at play here but in a positive sense.

I never had fresh kava but this could possibly be the freshest tasting kava I had. The liquid has a mild green hue.

I had to add a little 11 year waka to the last few shells to get some sleep. But it wont keep you up nor will it put you to sleep.

Overall very good kava for day time to early evening. I have to try the lawena.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
This stuff really is one of the freshest roots ive ever had.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Well, I bought a pound each, taking advantage of the generous coupon offer. Very glad I did. Both are outstanding. The lawena in particular stands out at every level and with taveuni’s lawena no longer available, to my knowledge this would be the best lawena I can find to buy at the moment. The waka is also excellent. Both strong and delicious and reminded me of what it was like when I was first connecting with kava, that same excitement of first falling in love.

Neither stands out particularly for the pounded quality. Rather, they seem like very well cleaned dried and processed kava, with a good mix of fine fluff and larger particles, like you find with GHK Kava’s or Kava Time or anything from Forney’s factory. That level of excellence, and that can only be a good thing. On the other hand, the freshness factor is through the roof, like with kava time. This really is kava.

Can’t emphasize enough how good they taste. I would call both nighttime kavas, and also special occasion/honored guest kavas. Good for when you need to feel spoiled.

I especially love the lawena. Excellent taste and probably the strongest lawena I ever had.

Last edited: