What's new

Blepharitis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
I can say without hesitation that this is clearly a "side effect" or at least an ancillary effect of Kava drinking. I read the previous thread on this topic and styes thought it was interesting....right up to the point where my eyelid is now three times its normal size. Never had any issue with this before. With the amount of anecdotal reporting on this and styes I think it is time to add this to the list of potential side effects. This along with my dermo may force me to take a break, or at least try traditional prep (I am a microgrind lover...).

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
Yeah its a side effect of the kava energetics . It's so drying if your not adding demulcants and compensating for the mucus loss your gonna suffer. I wouldn't particularly say its a side effect of any chemical in the kava tho

D

Deleted User01

Did you mean Blah-fartis? I had a bad case of that yesterday from some cereal made of sawdust and with 9 grams of fiber. It was a free trial but I won't be dipping into that well again. I don't get too many side effects from Kava but once in a while I might get dry eyes but only with certain strains. I will tell you what I tell everyone. If you get side effects, switch to Nene and see if they subside. At least you can do 1 tablespoon of Nene for a peacful sleep while you recover.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I can say without hesitation that this is clearly a "side effect" or at least an ancillary effect of Kava drinking. I read the previous thread on this topic and styes thought it was interesting....right up to the point where my eyelid is now three times its normal size. Never had any issue with this before. With the amount of anecdotal reporting on this and styes I think it is time to add this to the list of potential side effects. This along with my dermo may force me to take a break, or at least try traditional prep (I am a microgrind lover...).
I had exactly the same problem but found out about a certain chemical which kills the problem. You have staphylococcus in your eye and certain products contain a chemical that will kill it. I forget what it's called and it's on a thread somewhere, I'll have a look. I'm not sure if it's connected but since I used the eye drops and started taking the coconut oil capsules I don't get much problem with my eyes. I was getting pussy spots coming up all the time but for the moment I'm fine, don't get too dry in the eyes either. Probably all related, the coconut oil must be stopping my eyes losing too much oil, or replacing it or whatever.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
I had exactly the same problem but found out about a certain chemical which kills the problem. You have staphylococcus in your eye and certain products contain a chemical that will kill it. I forget what it's called and it's on a thread somewhere, I'll have a look. I'm not sure if it's connected but since I used the eye drops and started taking the coconut oil capsules I don't get much problem with my eyes. I was getting pussy spots coming up all the time but for the moment I'm fine, don't get too dry in the eyes either. Probably all related, the coconut oil must be stopping my eyes losing too much oil, or replacing it or whatever.
Thanks. I will go back and find the thread. I confirmed that it is a stye under my eyelid that is causing it to blow up.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
You probably read about this in the other stye threads...but I went through a period of getting several styes in a short period of time, which never happened before in all my years of kava. Anyway, this what I've learned:

1) You can treat it by buying Wet Ones brand wet wipes, slice em into skinny pieces that wrap over the top of your finger and wipe your eyelids with them...where the eyelashes come out and all along where the top and bottom lid meet. Leave it on for at least 10 minutes...or you can completely leave it on sometimes if it doesn't bother you too much. Do it once or twice a day...but not forever, probably a week or two maximum.

2) Run hot water on you lids and/or lay a hot steamy cloth on your eyes.

3) Buy Murine "Bright & Moist" eye drops on Amazon...they have a dilute dose of the same medicine in 'Wet Ones'...similarly, don't use these every day when you don't need to. Use them once in a while when your're healed as a preventative.

4) Increase your intake of Omega-3 and possibly also vitamin A.

My stye spree ended as soon as I did these things. Oh yeah, it's also good to take some time off of kava sometimes. (Boring)

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Yeah its a side effect of the kava energetics . It's so drying if your not adding demulcants and compensating for the mucus loss your gonna suffer. I wouldn't particularly say its a side effect of any chemical in the kava tho
Maybe not a direct side effect but it is certainly caused by my kava intake. So call it what you will, but folks should be aware of this possible interaction. Just like dermo - and decide if the benefits out way the downsides. If I have go to an eye doctor and get this thing lanced it may just impact that equation for me and I love the benefits.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
You probably read about this in the other stye threads...but I went through a period of getting several styes in a short period of time, which never happened before in all my years of kava. Anyway, this what I've learned:

1) You can treat it by buying Wet Ones brand wet wipes, slice em into skinny pieces that wrap over the top of your finger and wipe your eyelids with them...where the eyelashes come out and all along where the top and bottom lid meet. Leave it on for at least 10 minutes...or you can completely leave it on sometimes if it doesn't bother you too much. Do it once or twice a day...but not forever, probably a week or two maximum.

2) Run hot water on you lids and/or lay a hot steamy cloth on your eyes.

3) Buy Murine "Bright & Moist" eye drops on Amazon...they have a dilute dose of the same medicine in 'Wet Ones'...similarly, don't use these every day when you don't need to. Use them once in a while when your're healed as a preventative.

4) Increase your intake of Omega-3 and possibly also vitamin A.

My stye spree ended as soon as I did these things. Oh yeah, it's also good to take some time off of kava sometimes. (Boring)
Will do. Thanks for the advice!

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
It's technically still dermopathy related, the destruction of properly functioning sebaceous glands stops the normal lubrication and natural cleansing flow of the area, making you susceptible to infection. The most common bacteria to cause the styes already lives on your face and in your nose.

That reminds me, another thing I stopped doing, was cupping my hands full of water and putting it on my face in the shower. I run the water on my face hands free now.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Looks like the active ingredient referenced previously in wet ones is Benzethonium Chloride which is also a preservative used in many eye drops (including Visine and Murine). Not recommended for daily use by most eye doctors but it would seem like limited use, as a preventative maintenance, to kill bacteria would be a good thing. I will also incorporate a more deliberate cleansing of my lids and surrounding area and see how it goes.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
That reminds me, another thing I stopped doing, was cupping my hands full of water and putting it on my face in the shower. I run the water on my face hands free now.
One tip I've gotten from women talking about makeup/face complexion is never touch your face. (also don't lick your lips if you get dry lips from kava like me).

Status
Not open for further replies.