What's new

Body effects

Blinkyrocket

Kava Enthusiast
Has anyone noticed if some strains of kava have actually made your muscles more tense instead of less tense? Maybe it's just because of that one time where I felt really anxious after drinking some kava after using the boiling method, but there are some times where I feel even more stress after drinking kava compared to before.

Blinkyrocket

Kava Enthusiast
Actually, I would categorize the feeling I had after drinking too much of the kava from the boiling method as stress, because I wasn't panicking or paranoid, I knew I was going to be ok. I was just tremendously stressed out by the feeling I had in my head, which was overwhelming and felt like it was on fire and numb at the same time. In my opinion, paranoia is required for something to be anxiety, whereas stress just involves your heart beating quicker and basically getting very, very annoyed with your circumstances. But, that might just be my personal definition.

Blinkyrocket

Kava Enthusiast
Hmm, that seems sort of paradoxical, but it would (maybe?) explain why if I drink too much, even over a large amount of time, I'll feel bad and slightly tense. And, boiling releases more of the heavy kavalactones, so I heard in another thread.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I don't find that heavy varieties give me stress or whatever, mostly super heady Fijians generally. I think you just need to try some more types until you hit the one that works best for you. Anything super heady can sometimes cause anxiety, that's a known thing. I've not heard the same about heavy kavas but that doesn't mean it's not true. I find heavy kavas great although some can sometimes give a bit more nausea.

Blinkyrocket

Kava Enthusiast
Maybe it's just because I tried drinking too much, for some reason I was doing just fine at 9 tablespoons of Pouni Ono, but then I have another cup of 3 tablespoons and all the sudden I'm nauseous, anxious, head is burning, sounds are very irritating and overwhelming and all that stuff. It's made even more perplexing by the fact that I ate a bowl of cereal before having the last cup, I would've thought that would slow absorption.

My heart rate was also 105, dehydration?

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Maybe it's just because I tried drinking too much, for some reason I was doing just fine at 9 tablespoons of Pouni Ono, but then I have another cup of 3 tablespoons and all the sudden I'm nauseous, anxious, head is burning, sounds are very irritating and overwhelming and all that stuff. It's made even more perplexing by the fact that I ate a bowl of cereal before having the last cup, I would've thought that would slow absorption.
How long are you leaving between shells? Sometimes it's not the amount so much as how quickly. One thing that took me a long time to get my head round is that the effects are delayed. I find if I just have one good shell I'm still noticing new nuances of effect 45 mins to an hour later so now I space my shells out by at least that much, let the spectrum of effects unfold and then reload.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Did you eat the cereal with milk? I may have mentioned somewhere before ( ;) ) that milk really lifts the effects for me. That could definitely boost the kava you've already drunk and make the last shell hit more. That's why I drink my kava with milk in the first place, your body uses up all the kava at the time you want it rather than leaving it hanging around in your system.

Blinkyrocket

Kava Enthusiast
How long are you leaving between shells? Sometimes it's not the amount so much as how quickly. One thing that took me a long time to get my head round is that the effects are delayed. I find if I just have one good shell I'm still noticing new nuances of effect 45 mins to an hour later so now I space my shells out by at least that much, let the spectrum of effects unfold and then reload.
1 hour and 1/2 to drink all of the shells, I'm not necessarily sure how much time in between individual shells but there were 4 shells. And, I was using milk for all of them so I don't think that the milk in the cereal was the culprit. As the undesirable effects wear off, I find myself without anxiety, although that same sense of calm and tranquility isn't necessarily here. Perhaps you need to not be distracted and you need to be outside to fully recognize that sense of calm and tranquility, and serenity.

I actually started to feel the effects of the first 3 shells amplify right after drinking the fourth so I started to regret drinking the fourth cuz I knew it was gonna end up bad.

EQ

Atman

If you are getting anxious, and high heart rate it is just too much energy. Too much Kava.
Not being distracted is the key to consciousness. It is focus.
Focus isn't willpower but awareness. Learn to let go. Unclench the heart.

The cereal amped it. Food will amp the Kava.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
1 hour and 1/2 to drink all of the shells, I'm not necessarily sure how much time in between individual shells but there were 4 shells. And, I was using milk for all of them so I don't think that the milk in the cereal was the culprit. As the undesirable effects wear off, I find myself without anxiety, although that same sense of calm and tranquility isn't necessarily here. Perhaps you need to not be distracted and you need to be outside to fully recognize that sense of calm and tranquility, and serenity.

I actually started to feel the effects of the first 3 shells amplify right after drinking the fourth so I started to regret drinking the fourth cuz I knew it was gonna end up bad.
That would be way too fast for me. I can spend up to 4 hours over 4 shells but I mix each shell quite strong. When I first started drinking kava I had been drinking alcohol more or less daily for 25 years so I wanted the big rush. Now I am further away from the alcohol I'm getting less and less interested in an intense buzz and more into bringing on calm relaxation so I'm taking my time a bit more, easing myself into it rather than slamming shells to get rooted. You'll find what works for you though, just give it some time and relax with it.

kavamehameha

Magnum's 'awa drinking bird
Not being distracted is the key to consciousness. It is focus.
Focus isn't willpower but awareness. Learn to let go. Unclench the heart.
Honestly, I love your words. Very poetic and so true. (y)
Trying to find the focus is an important ingredience to feel the true effects of kava.

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
If I have a big session - too much - I can end up spending the night with clenched teeth and tight muscles. I haven't had it for years as I am better at knowing when to stop now.

Blinkyrocket

Kava Enthusiast
Yeah, I wasn't actually trying to get krunked or rooted, I was just trying to see how much anxiety I could relieve. Eventually, I drank too much and ended up feeling astronomically depressed, like someone had mugged me and took my happiness (sense of comfort) and left me in a cave.

I think this is largely due to stopping Tianeptine, which I only started using because I was anxious about alcohol withdrawals.... So... It's all very convoluted.

Sorry if I'm using this forum as a deposit box for my short stories, but the crap I've been going through lately is of the sort that you have to get off your chest somehow. :shifty:

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Yeah, I wasn't actually trying to get krunked or rooted, I was just trying to see how much anxiety I could relieve. Eventually, I drank too much and ended up feeling astronomically depressed, like someone had mugged me and took my happiness (sense of comfort) and left me in a cave.

I think this is largely due to stopping Tianeptine, which I only started using because I was anxious about alcohol withdrawals.... So... It's all very convoluted.

Sorry if I'm using this forum as a deposit box for my short stories, but the crap I've been going through lately is of the sort that you have to get off your chest somehow. :shifty:
Yes, I definitely tested my boundaries with it and then dialled it back to what feels right for me. I can get pretty rooted sometimes but for the most part I'm just getting relaxed. I was driving today and thinking about you, your choice of root seems odd. Pouni Ono is awesome in small doses for late afternoons when you don't want to get too tired but I wouldn't want it in large quantities. Maybe you could try something a little less heady and go for something more balanced? Try Mahakea from GHK. If you don't feel happy after that I'd be very surprised.

chandra

Kava Enthusiast
Heady kavas tend to do that too me. I can actually feel my body tensing up and I feel anxious instead of relaxed. Like when you are really stressed about something. It's odd because I generally love anything stimulating. The first time I tried Pouni Ono I was awake til 4 am. Like wide awake. It was fun the first time, but over time it started making me feel how you described.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor

That's another thing I've learnt over the last year, learning to tell when you've had enough of something that has a delayed reaction.

chandra

Kava Enthusiast
The effects also build over time. The kavalactones stay in your system for several hours, so they build on each other. Just like alcohol sometimes the difference between just enough and too much is a small one.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
Ye even though i dose very low per shell at about 10 or 15 grams/1-2 tbs, i drink 2 or 4 of those in a night and by the end i can get pretty dizzy

Blinkyrocket

Kava Enthusiast
Yes, I definitely tested my boundaries with it and then dialled it back to what feels right for me. I can get pretty rooted sometimes but for the most part I'm just getting relaxed. I was driving today and thinking about you, your choice of root seems odd. Pouni Ono is awesome in small doses for late afternoons when you don't want to get too tired but I wouldn't want it in large quantities. Maybe you could try something a little less heady and go for something more balanced? Try Mahakea from GHK. If you don't feel happy after that I'd be very surprised.
After reading reviews for Mahakea and Nene, I'm a little torn. On the one hand, I saw a study that showed that out of 3 or 4 cultivars, Nene had the highest level of GABA receptor binding (even with the root) and on the other hand, Mahakea looks good too, and you recommend it.