What's new

Can this newbie drink kava tonight without going overboard?

shakedown

Sorry for the sensationalist headline, I am in the online advertising business. I can't help it. This looks like an awesome forum, btw. I am really digging the vibe.

So a few weeks ago I purchased some kava (ground root) and some kavalactone paste. I made the ground root once but there were several reasons that I couldn't do that again. Mainly due to people I live with and the horrible taste. I did enjoy a large glob of the kavalactone paste in the evenings though and have been taking it for the past week and half or so daily. It made me feel a lot more relaxed and happy. At first, I went overboard with the paste and felt a good bit of nausea. Then I learned the correct amount to take to avoid that.

Fast forward to last night, I received Moi and 1 other instant kava in the mail yesterday so I decided to try some. I made a 12-16 oz cup of water with 3 rounded teaspoons of the instant. Within 30 min I was feeling good but the effects were kind of subtle. I then foolishly decided to make and drink another cup. I knew that it was a mistake as SOON as I drank it. I just instantly felt this nausea the rest of the night that ruined the experience. I should have let the first cup kick in all the way.

Today, Im gonna try the same amount but skip the second cup. The plan is to not eat from 12:30 to 5:30 and drink the kava at 5:30pm. Then eat like 45 min later. Btw, Am I cool to drink another cup at like 9:30pm-10:00pm if it wears off or is that asking for trouble?

Ryanakamal

Kava Curious
ehrrr did you chug it down? and where there concentrated pastas involved? i would make a weaker drink maybe it helps
BOOBIES MONEY DRAGONS <marketgodmode.. :cool:

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I use a lot of instant as I am a lorry driver and it just makes life easier in the truck. I always mix up a batch (with milk by the way) and chug it, wait between 30 mins and an hour depending on how I am feeling and then do it again. With water I used to use up to 4 teaspoons per batch, in a shaker bottle and shake, chug it. Now I am using milk I need a lot less to get the same (or better) effect so I sometimes use only 1 heaped teaspoon of powder. I find that if I have been drinking kava for a few days I need less powder per batch, if I've had a couple of days off I will usually need more.

If you find you like the instants then try Cream of Vanuatu from Paradise Kava, it's a heady one with a body aspect too. BKH Instant Green is nice but more heady and less heavy than the COV. My absolute favourite for the lorry is Quick Kava Powder from Vanuatu Kava Store (I get it from GKE), it's mildly heady but very relaxing in the mind and body. Ideal for winding down before bed especially if you have limited time. I don't have access to GHK products so can't tell you about them but I'm guessing they are all awesome :-(

By the way I only use about 200 ml of liquid so it's more like a kava "shot" that you can get down pretty quick. I suppose more liquid would ease the taste a bit but take you longer to get down and possibly make you feel more bloated? Less would mean a much stronger taste. Up to you on that one, I actually like the taste of kava so no big deal for me.

shakedown

Thanks for the tips guys. @Ryanakamal Yes, I chugged too much at a time. i learned my lesson. Last night was a lot better.

@Edward Thanks man, I will try those tips. I like the Milk idea. I am going to try that tonight. I'm guessing whole milk is best?

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
@shakedown I use semi skimmed but maybe whole would be better? I drink quite a bit of milk so I'm watching the calories and fat. If you do try with whole then let me know how it goes.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
@Peacephrog1972 something to do with the fat I'd guess. I first noticed that if I used water I'd get a reasonable effect from the kava but the next morning I would drink milk and get a massive kava rush so I figured the kava wasn't all being used up the evening before. Tried mixing instant with milk and got great results so now I mix everything with milk.

D

Deleted User01

@shakedown, it doesn't look like you went overboard. I usually do 1 tablespoon in 4oz of water and every 30 minutes. Of course the fear is that your stomach doesn't like kava. Or maybe it was just having a bad hair day. If at first you don't succeed .......

Nik

@Peacephrog1972 something to do with the fat I'd guess. I first noticed that if I used water I'd get a reasonable effect from the kava but the next morning I would drink milk and get a massive kava rush so I figured the kava wasn't all being used up the evening before. Tried mixing instant with milk and got great results so now I mix everything with milk.
Thanks for the milk tip Edward.
And the Quick Kava Powder you mention is this one right?
http://www.globalkavaexports.com/kava-powder