What's new

Kava Preparation Cold vs Warm vs Hot (not boiling) best for Kava preparation

StevenF

Kava Enthusiast
I know that boiling water is not good for Kava preparation.

I make mine with cold water.

I was wondering what's the best tempreture for Kava preparation:

- Cold Water
- Warm Water
- Hot Water (not boiling)

What's recommended (if it makes a difference at all) ?

StevenF

Kava Enthusiast
Not necessarily true.

And this, according to an expert kava farmer.

This makes everything I've read very confusing.

Although thinking about it... if the people from the pacific islands don't boil it, it must be for a reason, and they know better than anyone else right?

Just some food for thought...

Hightide

Kava Enthusiast
This makes everything I've read very confusing.

Although thinking about it... if the people from the pacific islands don't boil it, it must be for a reason, and they know better than anyone else right?

Just some food for thought...
I tend to trust native preparations of any plant. Not to say its 100% the right way, but these preparations have come out as a result of lots of trial and error. Just thinking of how kneading the root was discovered shows there was some effort put into getting the best batch

StevenF

Kava Enthusiast
I tend to trust native preparations of any plant. Not to say its 100% the right way, but these preparations have come out as a result of lots of trial and error. Just thinking of how kneading the root was discovered shows there was some effort put into getting the best batch
Yeah, it makes sense that the traditional has the most years of experience put into it...good point!

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
It could also be a matter of personal preference and culture with those people, not necessarily that it makes a stronger batch.
It could also be a matter of convenience. Boiling water was a lot more complicated, back in those times and cultures, than it is today and in other cultures.

Kavacoordinate

Kava Enthusiast
There is so much misinformation out there regarding boiling cava. Again I don't love the taste of the grog that it produces, but it makes a very potent grog I think at the end of the day they found out that kavalac tones boil at a higher temperature then water. But as you can see in that video that Chris produced you get a ton of oil. It's probably a great way to use old leftovers.

BobBriggs

Kava Curious
Boiled kava tastes even worse than regular kava, so that might be one reason boiling isn't used in the Pacific Islands. Plus it takes extra resources, so might be foregone if it isn't seen as necessary. If you have strong kava anyway, it might not be worth it.

StevenF

Kava Enthusiast
Boiled kava tastes even worse than regular kava, so that might be one reason boiling isn't used in the Pacific Islands. Plus it takes extra resources, so might be foregone if it isn't seen as necessary. If you have strong kava anyway, it might not be worth it.
You could have hit the nail on the head :)

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Yeah, it makes sense that the traditional has the most years of experience put into it...good point!
Why not go full traditional and get some virgins to come and chew your raw kava root before you mix the result with water? ;)

I prefer one wash of cold water with however much root it takes. I'm in a pretty good routine these days.