What's new

Kava Side Effects Damn, dermopathy coming on after just a week back of use (not daily) after no kava for 4 months, what gives?

BourbonMac

I like herbs
It took me 2 months of daily use to notice any dermopathy last winter, and it was a dry ass winter so that could've accentuated dry skin.
I noticed after I got out of work my neck was looking pretty red and I was itchy in a similar way as back then. My facial hair had dandruff too.

I'm using medium grind, though probably 4 or 5 times in the past week I had micronized unstrained. Even then, I used it like that for a month last winter, still no dermopathy. I use Nivea shower moisturizer, perhaps I should really focus on using more but it's strange I'd start getting it already. It's summer, hot and humid and sweaty. I do take some pretty long hot showers because I have tinnitus and it helps a lot which probably makes me more susceptible to this problem. In any case I don't plan to use kava daily, though I have quite a few days off lately and it's tempting. I'm on 40g of Vanatu and feel great but good GOD it tastes bad. I had to use some yogurt as a chaser. Tasted like a hobos dirty feet.

Last winter I went from micronized to extract (I love FVK but their extract SUCKS, do not go near it), to medium grind. Once I'd gotten used to medium grind I started to notice it but likely the micro and extract were the bigger culprit because it was a LOT worse. I remember the side of my upper leg, I'd been wearing black boxers, were covered in dry skin. I don't see that now, I just saw the redness. It's not the worst thing in the world, and really it's only bothersome if I want to nap after work which is often because I go to bed too late, a problem I need to fix.

Worth noting kava helps my tinnitus as well, it did so the most last winter. Nowadays not as much but that's because it's gotten so much worse. I have a chronic long standing ethmoid sinus infection and am doing 3 weeks of antibiotics hoping it brings down the noise. I had sinus surgery last year at the end of May, mild tinnitus before that and it was completely gone, I had total 100% silence until around the first week of July when it came back worse and gradually kept getting worse. Niacin helps the most out of anything, so maybe it's a bloodflow issue, no clue. Niacin stopped working until I started this antibiotic so there's a chance the infection's related. I never got antibiotics after my major surgery after all which is like, the worst thing you can not do. I had so much work done.

I guess on that note, is Bactrim and kava alright? I mean, so far I'm fine, Bactrim is pretty easy on the stomach for me and so is kava, minus unstrained micro, that can be rough.