What's new

Depression

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blippy5

Certified Noble
I wonder what experiences others here have with depression? I know some people have mentioned it around; but feel free to share if you would like.

For myself- I am 25, my depression onset some time in high school and became much worse in collage. My last semester was so bad I couldn't go to class for weeks. Ended up dropping out, two gen Ed's from graduation.

It's been a roller coaster since then. Never really had any remission. Have tried many different medications, under a psychiatrist. No luck, but I need to find a new doctor ( recently moved), and try again.

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
I've dealt with depression my whole adult life, @Blippy5. Diagnosed in my early twenties after just not feeling right as long as I could remember. I manage it as best I can with talk therapy, an antidepressant, mindfulness when I think to, a healthy diet (harder than it sounds,) semi-regular exercise and now kava. Kava by itself isn't a great antidepressant, but it CAN be a great anxiolytic. And I determined along the way that anxiety leads me into serious depressions where I'm unable to work for weeks on end.

Make sure your doctor knows your whole medication history and what did and didn't work with each one. It's possible to find something that's effective at keeping baseline depression at bay. In my experience, there was no "magic bullet" antidepressant that just righted the ship, so an SNRI is part of my life and part of my treatment, but not the whole tamale.

And something I've learned is that no matter how dire or no-way-out my situation felt, things did change and get better during those periods. "Sitting tight" or "hanging in there" are MUCH more easily said than done when depressed, but the picture changes---given time---even if it doesn't feel like it will.

verticity

I'm interested in things
I wonder what experiences others here have with depression? I know some people have mentioned it around; but feel free to share if you would like.

For myself- I am 25, my depression onset some time in high school and became much worse in collage. My last semester was so bad I couldn't go to class for weeks. Ended up dropping out, two gen Ed's from graduation.

It's been a roller coaster since then. Never really had any remission. Have tried many different medications, under a psychiatrist. No luck, but I need to find a new doctor ( recently moved), and try again.
I'm also a member of the "club". It sucks. Meds can help to some extent. Like you, my depression blossomed in college, fueled by alcohol and loneliness/social anxiety. I dropped out and eventually got treatment with a tricyclic called nortriptyline. I don't think it's prescribed much these days because of side effects, and the fact that you can actually die from an overdose, but for me it was revelatory. I actually felt OK. I went back to college, and eventually went on to get a higher degree. Unfortunately, I was still quite lonely and anxious. I self medicated with alcohol, and other things. I was hospitalized several times. I was prescribed benzos, which helped at first, but ultimately caused a whole new set of problems. That's in the past, thankfully. I have a family now, which is kind of amazing. Currently I'm on a combination of Effexor and Risperdal, which help. And kava helps too. So, it can get better is what I am trying to say.

Blippy5

Certified Noble
I've heard about that combination before. I havn't tried either of them yet. I get some help with Wellbutrin, but I compare it to taking an asp rune for a broken leg.

verticity

I'm interested in things
I've heard about that combination before. I havn't tried either of them yet. I get some help with Wellbutrin, but I compare it to taking an asp rune for a broken leg.
Ya, Wellbutrin kind of helped, but made me jittery like too much coffee. The Risperdal really helps quiet the obsessive thoughts -- although weight gain is a problem with it.. Effexor is effective (pun intended) but for some people can have a nasty withdrawal syndrome when you stop it. Always trade-offs. The thing is, depression is not a monolith. For example, I got no benefit whatsoever from SSRIs, whereas many people do. I seem to need something that works on norepinephrine receptors as well (or exclusively). Some people actually benefit from thyroid hormone if their depression is caused by hypothyroidism.

Blippy5

Certified Noble
I adopted a black german shephered last year. He is my first doggie, but he actually helps more than anything.

Plus he is just do darn cute!

verticity

I'm interested in things
I adopted a black german shephered last year. He is my first doggie, but he actually helps more than anything.

Plus he is just do darn cute!
Yes, pets are great. I have a couple cats who are a great comfort, when they are not pooping all over the place.

50ShadesOfKava

Official Kava Muppet
Intersting article on depression and inflamation: http://www.feelguide.com/2015/01/06...sion-is-an-allergic-reaction-to-inflammation/ Im giving the anti-inflamitory herbs a try to see if it makes a difference. Also of note, I posted in a couple of places on the forum the correlation between depression and folic acid deficiency. I've definitely noticed a change with that.

Seems like we should make a central post on depression, kava, and other treatments, kind of like the recovery forum section. More and more seems to be pointing that the epidemic is more than just a reaction to modern life. What do you think @Kapmcrunk

verticity

I'm interested in things
Intersting article on depression and inflamation: http://www.feelguide.com/2015/01/06...sion-is-an-allergic-reaction-to-inflammation/ Im giving the anti-inflamitory herbs a try to see if it makes a difference. Also of note, I posted in a couple of places on the forum the correlation between depression and folic acid deficiency. I've definitely noticed a change with that.

Seems like we should make a central post on depression, kava, and other treatments, kind of like the recovery forum section. More and more seems to be pointing that the epidemic is more than just a reaction to modern life. What do you think @Kapmcrunk
It's true that a folic acid deficiency can cause depression. If that is what is causing someone's depression it can help. But depression is a multi-headed beast: it is actually a symptom with many possible causes, some known, and most not. (Maybe I should say multi-rooted tree) It's not one thing.

50ShadesOfKava

Official Kava Muppet
But I hear all of you on this one. And did the same thing medicating with booze for a while. Fortionately never got to the benzo stage. Kava helps, sobriety helps, religion helps, family helps (and hinders at times as do pets with free will on bowl discharges). Our weaknesses sometimes make us stronger in other ways and more understanding and relateable as well, and better able to help our fellow man.

50ShadesOfKava

Official Kava Muppet
@verticity Agreed, it is a complex mistress, but it helps to take away the credit cards one at a time. I believe it to be multiple factors that contribute to us getting into a pattern of thinking, and disrupting those patterns and retraining our brains as well as cutting down root causes may be the challenge. But I have yet to find a complete cure. I can say that since I quit drinking 2 years ago, did one year bone dry with some heavy therapy, and more recently gotten on the kava wagon (and religion wagon, and the folic acid wagon and possibly the anti inflamitory wagon), I am a significantly happier individual and family man. Recent house renovations though have gotten me close to manic, but Im slowly returning to peace. Cheers my friends.

Blippy5

Certified Noble
I have spent a lot of time wonder the cause. But I don't have a triggering event, and it does run in the family, so genetics is part of it.

I am a huge fan of the writer Andrew Solomon, in one of his books he compares depression to "cough". Sometimes it gets better on it's own, symptoms vary widely, one medication may help one time, but not another. I really like this comparison.

greenbeen

Kava Enthusiast
Ya, Wellbutrin kind of helped, but made me jittery like too much coffee. The Risperdal really helps quiet the obsessive thoughts -- although weight gain is a problem with it.. Effexor is effective (pun intended) but for some people can have a nasty withdrawal syndrome when you stop it. Always trade-offs. The thing is, depression is not a monolith. For example, I got no benefit whatsoever from SSRIs, whereas many people do. I seem to need something that works on norepinephrine receptors as well (or exclusively). Some people actually benefit from thyroid hormone if their depression is caused by hypothyroidism.
Plus one for effexor. Its the only anti-dep that worked for me. Ive tried many. I was very weary of taking them but after years of convincing my family and friends i agreed. Imo its decent for anxiety and great for depression. But everyones brain chemistry is different. I found that adhering to a schedule helps w depression too. Because theirs things u HAVE to do (work, making breakfast for the kids) and things u have to ask yourself if you WANT to do. By creating a hour by hour schedule on my phone (android calendar app) i dont ask myself if i want to walk the dog or do laundry. I just go down the list thruout the day, bam bam bam. Thats the first step, and you have to do that no matter HOW yiu feel. It will help in the longrun. As far as feeling emotionless or not feeling like yourself each and everyday, that comes with time (with the combination of medication and being out in the world daily. Atleast for me anyway.

Bubba Bula

krunkadelic relic
I'm fortunate that I don't suffer from depression, although I will get the seasonal blues in the middle of winter. Not the same thing I know. I have read that people who suffer from depression have gotten some positive results from a plant called sceletium tortuosum (aka kanna). Perhaps others who have had some experience with kanna could tell you if it is effective or not. These guys sell it, and I think they're reputable. I don't get any money or anything from them. I'm just trying to help.
http://www.bouncingbearbotanicals.com/kanna-p-253.html#.VWj6GqPLcTs

Pacifico

Kava Enthusiast
I was depressed as a teenager and most of my adult life. I still have my days but don't consider myself officially depressed like before. I spent the better part of two decades deciding not to commit suicide on a daily basis. I used to kill myself in my mind in as many methods possible. For awhile, I was quite obsessed with the idea of throwing a ninja hook at a helicopter that takes off at a helipad near my old place and hanging myself in flight. It was bad. I made a few tweeks eventually. First off, it is very hard to deal with depression when you consume confirmed depressants. Alcohol is one of them that is most readily available. I cut that out and started running and got up to running 40 to 50 miles a week for a summer. With no alcohol in my system and all of those endorphins, I was immediately on the rise. I had/have a terribly lousy dating history. I stopped looking for the one and becoming comfortable with my own as-is life and got even better. In the process, I lost about 60 pounds. (I happily put ten back on!) There was a time that I thought that life would be so much easier with a six-pack because I was going to attract more chicks at the beach and pool or something. Once I got to that point, I was so much more happier with myself and realized that I didn't have any immediate need to be on the market. A year ago, I thought it would be really cool if I could run without a shirt like those other confident guys do on the trails. When I got to that point, I realized that I didn't need to do that. Find ways to improve your mind and body. Stay away from depressants. Eat clean 90 percent of the time. Chase a decent BMI number. If at that point you are still depressed, you keep looking for answers. Good luck!

blindy107

Kava Lover
@verticity i took nortriptyline as well. But for migraines. It's old school for sure. They used it for bed wetting too. Crazy all purpose drug. It fucked me up. Only way to describe it. I had an anxiety meltdown for the first time in my life and it is the worst thing I've dealt with that I can recall. I almost shot my wife in the middle of the night I was so anxiety ridden and paranoid. Stopped taking it next day.

I was diagnosed depressed 10 years ago but I stop drinking 9.6 years ago and my depression went away 9 years ago. I know most folks here dislike AA but it was soooo comforting to find people like me that actually cared enough about me to call when I didn't show up or to check on me in general. Depression kind of blew away slowly.

verticity

I'm interested in things
@verticity i took nortriptyline as well. But for migraines. It's old school for sure. They used it for bed wetting too. Crazy all purpose drug. It fucked me up. Only way to describe it. I had an anxiety meltdown for the first time in my life and it is the worst thing I've dealt with that I can recall. I almost shot my wife in the middle of the night I was so anxiety ridden and paranoid. Stopped taking it next day.

I was diagnosed depressed 10 years ago but I stop drinking 9.6 years ago and my depression went away 9 years ago. I know most folks here dislike AA but it was soooo comforting to find people like me that actually cared enough about me to call when I didn't show up or to check on me in general. Depression kind of blew away slowly.
Yes, I have been through AA, and appreciate that it helps a lot of people. It certainly helped me when I was stopping drinking. However, I am not one who believes in going to meetings for the rest of my life. But some people find that going to meetings for extended periods of time helps them a lot, so that's cool with me. But I'm very glad things worked out for you. Alcohol is certainly one thing that can cause or aggravate depression.

Nortriptyline for me at first did induce a little bit of anxiety, but after a few weeks the switch flipped, and the depression lifted--for the first time in my life, really. But, yeah, it is not to be trifled with.

Pacifico

Kava Enthusiast
I am against AA and all other religious organizations that require rehabilitation by way of their deity. It's as if to say, "We will help you as long as we know that you are on our team and you are willing to give the credit for your struggle and your healing to our god." The truth is, if that god cared that much about that individual, he wouldn't have let him become an alcoholic in the first place. I guess that's fine if you are already religious. I understand how deep of a disease that alcoholism is though and that people will try anything. I don't like to see anyone depressed. There are so many alternatives to AA though. A lot of alcoholics could be discovering new hobbies, hiking new trails, discovering new tea rooms (or kava bars!) with new people, and as I mentioned before, focusing on their body. We piss alcohol out of our body for a reason. Our body identifies it as toxic. Sure, we know that moderate drinking doesn't destroy us. I can tell anyone that after they see the changes in their bodies after they control drinking, they will have a very good reason not to drink so much. I won't lie though. I know many boozers in great shape too. I guess it's an inner search that everyone has to do on their own.

PS: Did anyone see the AA scenes in Breaking Bad?

verticity

I'm interested in things
PS: Did anyone see the AA scenes in Breaking Bad?
I did, and I believe it was NA or something like it, and it was great character development for Jesse's character, showing him descending fully to the dark side (trying to sell people meth at meetings: the lowest of the low)

I attended AA, and it helped me, although I am not religious. But the religious aspect was off-putting, and part of the reason I'm not still going to meetings. But really AA is about people helping people. I wouldn't knock it so hard.

Pacifico

Kava Enthusiast
I did, and I believe it was NA or something like it, and it was great character development for Jesse's character, showing him descending fully to the dark side (trying to sell people meth at meetings: the lowest of the low)

I attended AA, and it helped me, although I am not religious. But the religious aspect was off-putting, and part of the reason I'm not still going to meetings. But really AA is about people helping people. I wouldn't knock it so hard.
I will stop short of "knocking it out". Helping is better than not helping. When my family escaped war, a church group took us in. (I was born immediately after.) However, I also don't want new "born-agains" voting in favor of keeping evolution out of my kids' science books. Yes, it's happening right now. @verticity I oppose AA, Boy Scouts, Salvation Army, and the Vatican equally. If no one else can manage, I fully support a visit to AA if that is the last resort. I am just saying that it's not really a last resort. It just happens to have an 800 number.

By the way, are you a Jesse? Walt? TUCO??

Status
Not open for further replies.