What's new

Depression

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pacifico

Kava Enthusiast
By the way @blindy107 -- I am obviously not a supporter of AA but I am a fan of all success stories. Any "ten-year" plans? If I can pry more, do you go to bars? Drink root beer in mugs? Toast at a wedding? Know the best non-alcoholic cocktails ever? Drink only water and kava?

blindy107

Kava Lover
I don't partake in behavior that is risky for me. Like bars. Or pretending to drink. If it's for a special event I will occasionally make an appearance but drunk people are only fun if you're drunk. Otherwise they are a chore.
Kava and caffeine are my vices now. They haven't ruined my life or made me suicidal...

Your issue with AA is a non issue. There is no requirement for belief in a deity. Did you learn what you know from TV? Only requirement is a desire to stop drinking/using. Program dependent of course. I have never seen an accurate representation of AA in film.

For my 10 years I'll probably do what I always do. Work to support my family. blend in with the rest of the world. Work in my garden. Eat some animals. Drink my kava. Have a good nights sleep.

Blippy5

Certified Noble
I was very physically active my freshman year of college, and some of my sophomore year, until the depression got so bad I couldn't do it anymore, ended up dropping out in my final semester because I literally could not go to class.

Luckily, I do not have an addictive personality/ or genes. I absolutely believe addiction is a disease. When my depression is very bad I tend to drink a lot. That said; I stopped drinking all together about a month ago when I started kava, and about two weeks before that I started a very physically intense job. Havnt had any improvement :( really need to get back on antidepressants, never fully helped, but it raises the base line.

Pacifico

Kava Enthusiast
Your issue with AA is a non issue. There is no requirement for belief in a deity. Did you learn what you know from TV? Only requirement is a desire to stop drinking/using. Program dependent of course. I have never seen an accurate representation of AA in film.
THE TWELVE STEPS OF ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS
1. We admitted we were powerless over alcohol—that our lives had become unmanageable.
2. Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.
3. Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood Him.
4. Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves.
5. Admitted to God, to ourselves, and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs.
6. Were entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character.
7. Humbly asked Him to remove our shortcomings.
8. Made a list of all persons we had harmed, and became willing to make amends to them all.
9. Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others.
10. Continued to take personal inventory and when we were wrong promptly admitted it.
11. Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God, as we understood Him, praying only for knowledge of His will for us and the power to carry that out.
12. Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these Steps, we tried to carry this message to alcoholics, and to practice these principles in all our affairs.

Copyright  1952, 1953, 1981 by Alcoholics Anonymous Publishing (now known as Alcoholics Anonymous World Services, Inc.) All rights reserved.

Pacifico

Kava Enthusiast
I was very physically active my freshman year of college, and some of my sophomore year, until the depression got so bad I couldn't do it anymore, ended up dropping out in my final semester because I literally could not go to class.

Luckily, I do not have an addictive personality/ or genes. I absolutely believe addiction is a disease. When my depression is very bad I tend to drink a lot. That said; I stopped drinking all together about a month ago when I started kava, and about two weeks before that I started a very physically intense job. Havnt had any improvement :( really need to get back on antidepressants, never fully helped, but it raises the base line.

I would even suggest a semi-recumbent bike at home. I love trying to beat numbers. I am not saying that you don't need more medical attention. Just suggestions.

Pacifico

Kava Enthusiast
Luckily, I do not have an addictive personality/ or genes.

That is cool that you don't have one. When I was working in Asia, I smoked a pack and a half a day. When I came home, I smoked none. I lot of people don't know what that is like.

Blippy5

Certified Noble
@blindy107 - I never understood what a real nights rest was until I started taking sleeping pills.

Obviously sleeping pills and other medications have serious drawbacks. Like many people I was always hesitant to try them, until my depression became so bad that my alternative was dying. That makes the choice a lot easier.

@Pacifico - I know physical activity absolutely has value, and is a piece of the puzzle.

blindy107

Kava Lover
THE TWELVE STEPS OF ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS
1. We admitted we were powerless over alcohol—that our lives had become unmanageable.
2. Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.
3. Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood Him.
4. Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves.
5. Admitted to God, to ourselves, and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs.
6. Were entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character.
7. Humbly asked Him to remove our shortcomings.
8. Made a list of all persons we had harmed, and became willing to make amends to them all.
9. Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others.
10. Continued to take personal inventory and when we were wrong promptly admitted it.
11. Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God, as we understood Him, praying only for knowledge of His will for us and the power to carry that out.
12. Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these Steps, we tried to carry this message to alcoholics, and to practice these principles in all our affairs.

Copyright  1952, 1953, 1981 by Alcoholics Anonymous Publishing (now known as Alcoholics Anonymous World Services, Inc.) All rights reserved.
Those are the steps you can work to achieve freedom from alcoholism. Not the requirement for membership.

Blippy5

Certified Noble
That is cool that you don't have one. When I was working in Asia, I smoked a pack and a half a day. When I came home, I smoked none. I lot of people don't know what that is like.
Yeah I've drank a terrible amount of alcohol in my relatively young life. Tried some illegal substances. I will always tell depressives to stay far far away from cocaine. The aftermath of that is very bad.

Pacifico

Kava Enthusiast
Those are the steps you can work to achieve freedom from alcoholism. Not the requirement for membership.
So what you are saying is those are recommended but when you are at a meeting, they aren't suggested? Those steps are straight from the website. I assume they are important to them. That's cool that you can pass through with no committments to their belief system. That's very "christ-like" if that's the case. It kind of reminds me of all of those kids in college eating the free hot dogs that the campus ministry handed out!

Pacifico

Kava Enthusiast
Yeah I've drank a terrible amount of alcohol in my relatively young life. Tried some illegal substances. I will always tell depressives to stay far far away from cocaine. The aftermath of that is very bad.
I believe you. I went to the University in Puerto Rico. Cocaine is available in the library. I wasn't a cokehead but we all played and we usually drank. I assume that I didn't do enough of either to have terrible experiences. If I had to choose one, it would be the blow if it was clean. I wouldn't even know who to ask though...

blindy107

Kava Lover
Sorry @Pacifico, i don't mean to come across as rude, if I am. It just feels like you are regurgitating someone else's opinion of AA that you read on Google. If you have spent time in the rooms I apologize. I have never once felt forced to belief in something in all my years there. Nor have others I've grown up with. It's a very "take what need and leave the rest" program.

The purpose of that step is to introduce humility. Learning I'm not the ruler of the universe and there are things beyond my control and more powerful than me out there is important to discover when attempting to become more humble. Addicts are very selfish and driven by ego. "God" is simply a word to convey an image of something greater than yourself.

I don't know why I'm so defensive about it. I haven't even gone in over a year. I just know it saved my live when nothing else worked.

blindy107

Kava Lover
So what you are saying is those are recommended but when you are at a meeting, they aren't suggested? Those steps are straight from the website. I assume they are important to them. That's cool that you can pass through with no committments to their belief system. That's very "christ-like" if that's the case. It kind of reminds me of all of those kids in college eating the free hot dogs that the campus ministry handed out!
No they are strongly suggested. But as you stated, more than one way to skin a cat. Anyone can attend AA if they want to stop using. Yes they are important as a keystone of the program. No they don't require anything. It's more about being held accountable by the people you meet. Losing selfish nature. Getting out of self. Attempting to amend any damage in the past. Then paying it forward....your own way.

If someone wants what I have they can do what I did.

Pacifico

Kava Enthusiast
Sorry @Pacifico, i don't mean to come across as rude, if I am. It just feels like you are regurgitating someone else's opinion of AA that you read on Google. If you have spent time in the rooms I apologize. I have never once felt forced to belief in something in all my years there. Nor have others I've grown up with. It's a very "take what need and leave the rest" program.

The purpose of that step is to introduce humility. Learning I'm not the ruler of the universe and there are things beyond my control and more powerful than me out there is important to discover when attempting to become more humble. Addicts are very selfish and driven by ego. "God" is simply a word to convey an image of something greater than yourself.

I don't know why I'm so defensive about it. I haven't even gone in over a year. I just know it saved my live when nothing else worked.
Nah... my info is straight from their own website. Truth be told, if going into a real church helps people, that's okay with me too. Both of my parents go to church. Google is too easy. Sure we often start there for information but I like real information. I personally think that the only think greater than yourself is your community, that's all. That means local community and local community to me. I had no idea that it was a "take what you need situation". That is great.

blindy107

Kava Lover
Nah... my info is straight from their own website. Truth be told, if going into a real church helps people, that's okay with me too. Both of my parents go to church. Google is too easy. Sure we often start there for information but I like real information. I personally think that the only think greater than yourself is your community, that's all. That means local community and local community to me. I had no idea that it was a "take what you need situation". That is great.
Lots of folks use "the group" as their higher power. You would fit right in ::awesomesmiles::

verticity

I'm interested in things
No they are strongly suggested. But as you stated, more than one way to skin a cat. Anyone can attend AA if they want to stop using. Yes they are important as a keystone of the program. No they don't require anything. It's more about being held accountable by the people you meet. Losing selfish nature. Getting out of self. Attempting to amend any damage in the past. Then paying it forward....your own way.

If someone wants what I have they can do what I did.
AA does have have Christian roots. But these days it is very accepting of anyone: atheist, Buddhist, Christian, Jew, whatever, it doesn't really matter, at first. It gives you a place to go, people to connect with who deeply understand what you are going through. It's really a great organization that helps a lot of people. But after a while, in my case, the emphasis on "spirituality" began to wear on me. They say you don't need to be religious, but it helps to be "spiritual". But, well, I'm not really "spiritual" either. I'm not even sure what that means. The Steps have an aspect of self-flagellation that I don't really care for either.

But the basic concept, laid out in the Big Book is actually pretty genius: By helping other alcoholics stay sober, you also help yourself stay sober. Passing it forward, as you say.

Status
Not open for further replies.