What's new

Dermopathy

Tasha

My hands and dry and cracked with broken areas. My entire torso is tingling, burning, itching. My scalp and entire body is flaky!!!! I only drink about 3-4 shells a night! I’m fairly new, been drinking for almost a year. Heavy drinking at times. I’m worried about my skin now. I’ve used amlactin and drink Gatorade all day long trying to prevent this!!! I started out with Nakalmalathome’s stone then went to Black Sand to see if that made a difference. My father passed away 2 months ago and drinking the kava has helped with my depression and anxiety. Can anyone recommend maybe a different strain that may not be so hard on my skin? Attaching a pic to show how bad my stomach looks!

Attachments

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
My hands and dry and cracked with broken areas. My entire torso is tingling, burning, itching. My scalp and entire body is flaky!!!! I only drink about 3-4 shells a night! I’m fairly new, been drinking for almost a year. Heavy drinking at times. I’m worried about my skin now. I’ve used amlactin and drink Gatorade all day long trying to prevent this!!! I started out with Nakalmalathome’s stone then went to Black Sand to see if that made a difference. My father passed away 2 months ago and drinking the kava has helped with my depression and anxiety. Can anyone recommend maybe a different strain that may not be so hard on my skin? Attaching a pic to show how bad my stomach looks!
Yes indeed that looks very familiar. N@H's kavas can be a little rough on the skin sometimes. It's good to switch up kavas. I'd suggest a maybe a kava from Bula Kava House. Nambawan is an excellent kava from them. Kalm with Kava's Loa Waka is a great kava as well. I was once scalded by stone in the past. That burning feeling is unmistakable. It hurts.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Try taking some coconut oil capsules. Clears it up in a few days despite still drinking kava.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
Nakamal at Home sells a kava called WOW! that would be easier on you. At some point, some degree of dermo is inevitable with enough heavy drinking...some people are just more susceptible than others as well.

Other kavas you could try in the same lane as WOW are Nambawan, 5 Star and anything from Kava Society.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I really don’t want to stop so I’ll try coconut oil. Thanks
You need to ingest it rather than smear it on. After a day of taking them I can feel the oils coming back into my skin and it feels softer. I've told a lot of people and most have said it works but it hasn't worked for everyone apparently. Worth a try though.

Nickavalas Turtle

Kava Curious
You need to ingest it rather than smear it on. After a day of taking them I can feel the oils coming back into my skin and it feels softer. I've told a lot of people and most have said it works but it hasn't worked for everyone apparently. Worth a try though.
It definitely helps. You need to start consuming lots of water and heavily moisturize your skin

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
It definitely helps. You need to start consuming lots of water and heavily moisturize your skin
I seem to remember you weren't so sure if it worked at first? I use it when I need it but after that I can usually go for a few months without needing any depending on what kavas I am drinking. I know what I start feeling like when my skin is getting too dry and go straight back on the capsules. Within a few days all of the symptoms go.

Nickavalas Turtle

Kava Curious
I seem to remember you weren't so sure if it worked at first? I use it when I need it but after that I can usually go for a few months without needing any depending on what kavas I am drinking. I know what I start feeling like when my skin is getting too dry and go straight back on the capsules. Within a few days all of the symptoms go.

That is correct. I was not sure but I’ve been through a bout without the capsules now and I wish I had them.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
That is correct. I was not sure but I’ve been through a bout without the capsules now and I wish I had them.
They definitely help me but I know everyone is different. I tell everyone who asks about it to try them and I know a lot of people have told me they do work.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Is there any connection between getting dermopathy from Kava regarding if it's noble or not?
Yes, however you have to be careful when drawing that conclusion because any kavas consumed regularly enough at a high enough dose will cause some low level dermapothy.

Full on tudei kava drys you out and can cause dermapothy faster than noble kavas and to a further extent.

Kavadelic

Kava Curious
Hi Edward, do you know if MCT oil would be as good if not better? It’s basically the even better half of the fatty components of coconut oil. Thanks. I’m currently using amlactin rapid relief, a hemp moisturizer, and a cocoa butter that has vitamin e in it.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Hi Edward, do you know if MCT oil would be as good if not better? It’s basically the even better half of the fatty components of coconut oil. Thanks. I’m currently using amlactin rapid relief, a hemp moisturizer, and a cocoa butter that has vitamin e in it.
I don't know for sure if the mct is the part of the coconut oil that does the job but it seems a fair guess. If you try it please let us know. Try both so you know the difference and see which one seems better.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Welcome to the club. Yup - almost all heavy kava drinking will end up with Dermo, even with good peeled noble kava. Some kavas will make it worse and others are gentler but almost all heavy drinkers shed like a snowstorm. I have found as @sɥɐʞɐs mentioned that Wow and Nambawan are some of the best strong kavas with less effect on dermo. You may also find that increased straining of your kava (using a smaller mesh) will also help. If you decide to stop to let your skin heal just note that it could take 1-2 weeks for it to fully alleviate itself and could get worse for a day or two before it starts to get better.
I prefer fish oil over coconut oil for internal consumption - but that is a health issue versus effectivity. I also use a lotion with an Alpha Hydroxy Acid when it gets real bad to help slough off the dead skin faster. Loofahs and shower scrub brushes are your friend.

stomach looks good to me. I wouldn’t worry about it.