What's new

Different stages of dermo - Do you get slightly reddish skin first?

schatz

itchin for kava
@schatz I love your logo: "itchin for kava"
Thanks Nepenthe, when I first started kava a year ago last January I did so much I got itchy within the first month and realised as much as I love the kava I have to respect it.So now I know when and how long to back off.

Bubba Bula

krunkadelic relic
The sad moment I discovered my scalp was a giant dermo patch was when I realized I had to back off and heal. At the time I was really going through the Amlactin bottles quickly. However Amlactin doesn't go well on one's scalp, and the dandruff shampoos couldn't fend off the kava dermo.

KrunkMunster

Kava Enthusiast
This is a timely thread, as I just woke up this morning with a bunch of hives on my neck. This is kind of a repeat of the rash I got right when I first started to drink Kava. I've not had a problem since then and have drank mainly heady nobles. Hopefully it is just a minor deal and won't last long. I remember looking like I had some kind of skin disease when it hit me before.

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
This is a timely thread, as I just woke up this morning with a bunch of hives on my neck. This is kind of a repeat of the rash I got right when I first started to drink Kava. I've not had a problem since then and have drank mainly heady nobles. Hopefully it is just a minor deal and won't last long. I remember looking like I had some kind of skin disease when it hit me before.
any chance you could post a pic of your neck for others who might be wondering if they have the same problem?

I suppose in your case it's somehting very different to most people's dermo?

KrunkMunster

Kava Enthusiast
any chance you could post a pic of your neck for others who might be wondering if they have the same problem?
I suppose in your case it's somehting very different to most people's dermo?
It subsided by this evening. If it shows up in the morning, I'll certainly take a pic of it.

It looks like classic hives right in my neck and upper shoulders, in the region you posted in the figure earlier in this thread. I've never had dermo as other have described it, so I have nothing to compare it to. I drink Kava 5-6 days a week, so like most people I have dry skin. I've just not had this rash in several months.

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
It subsided by this evening. If it shows up in the morning, I'll certainly take a pic of it.

It looks like classic hives right in my neck and upper shoulders, in the region you posted in the figure earlier in this thread. I've never had dermo as other have described it, so I have nothing to compare it to. I drink Kava 5-6 days a week, so like most people I have dry skin. I've just not had this rash in several months.
sorry to read about the "return" of your hives mate. I hope you will manage to keep this reaction under control. Is it very itchy?
Weird how you got a severe reaction a while ago, persisted, kept drinking, got rid off it and now it's back. Any changes in your lifestyle?

TidyMinion

Kava Padawan
I am trying to capture the different stages of dermo to be able to describe it more accurately. Dermo is generally described as "scaly, dry skin". But I've also been reading that many people get slightly reddish skin before it gets dry/flaky. Some people might get a bit of a reddish rash (mainly around their armpits or neck). Some people say they get a few red dots/blotches if they overindulge and consume too much kava too frequently.
Has this been your experience?
Yes actually that pretty much sums up my dermo experiences that have popped up here and there. Winter wi/regular kava has been fairly brutal on my hands over the past few months. however, it's nothing drinking enough water and regular moisturizing won't take care of though.

August West

Kava Enthusiast
Yes, I do. It feels like what a fungal ringworm rash would feel like. But yes, it's bumpy. Each bump e,expands to a pea-sized circle. The rash feels like a bruise, to the touch. I just ordered some root. It's almost guaranteed that I'll get skin issues. I'm quite susceptible to dry skin, as I have mild psoriasis

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
Is there anybody here that is a daily drinker, yet doesn't experience dermo? I have averaged about two shells a day for almost six years and haven't had a lick of it. Am I super special or are there others out there who are dermo resistant?

KrunkMunster

Kava Enthusiast
sorry to read about the "return" of your hives mate. I hope you will manage to keep this reaction under control. Is it very itchy?
Weird how you got a severe reaction a while ago, persisted, kept drinking, got rid off it and now it's back. Any changes in your lifestyle?
I actually think I had the front end of regular dermo going. I've never had regular dermo before and so I'm not sure what to expect. The skin on my legs are now like super dried out and flakey looking. I'm hoping it isn't dermo, but I lathered up with Amlactin just none the less.

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
I actually think I had the front end of regular dermo going. I've never had regular dermo before and so I'm not sure what to expect. The skin on my legs are now like super dried out and flakey looking. I'm hoping it isn't dermo, but I lathered up with Amlactin just none the less.
the two conditions appear to be curiously linked anyway, so I wouldn't be shocked if your "hives" aren't a form of dermo anyway..?

KrunkMunster

Kava Enthusiast
the two conditions appear to be curiously linked anyway, so I wouldn't be shocked if your "hives" aren't a form of dermo anyway..?
I think this is different. When I first got them, I'd only been drinking Kava a few weeks. Maybe less. This time around, I've been drinking it for about 9 months and the last few weeks much heavier than usual.

I think there are some people who will get the reaction we've been talking about a short time after consuming kava, but you can get over this reaction by continuing to drink kava, but just strain it really well. What I have now seems like regular ole dermo. :(

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
I think this is different. When I first got them, I'd only been drinking Kava a few weeks. Maybe less. This time around, I've been drinking it for about 9 months and the last few weeks much heavier than usual.

I think there are some people who will get the reaction we've been talking about a short time after consuming kava, but you can get over this reaction by continuing to drink kava, but just strain it really well. What I have now seems like regular ole dermo. :(
I see. But it's interesting that your dermo started with hives this time?

JonT

Kava Enthusiast
How common is dermo? I've drunk kava for years and never experienced it. I just get slightly dry skin, which is easily alleviated.
Do we have any idea roughly was % of kava drinkers get dermo?

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
How common is dermo? I've drunk kava for years and never experienced it. I just get slightly dry skin, which is easily alleviated.
Do we have any idea roughly was % of kava drinkers get dermo?
I got dermo for two weeks after a month of regular drinking. My wife got it for two weeks but only after 3 months of drinking, and my friend still hasn't got it. I think there's a lot of individual variability. My impression, could be wrong, is also that it is more likely with lawena than waka. In my case it was great because ever since I've had the best skin I ever had in my life, silky smooth, feels great. But for others this is not the case.

Dr.Krunk

Certified Quack
My Kava consumption varies quite a bit. Sometimes I will drink heavily on a nightly basis, or I might just drink a couple times a month. Just the past few days I started having very dry skin under my armpits that has been fairly painful, especially with deodorant. It's simply dry skin, no redness. I haven't changed anything else as far as my diet and soaps/deodorant goes that I'm aware of.

I'm not 100% sure that is attributed to dermo at this point but I'm definitely going to a keep an eye on it. I've been consuming Kava fairly regularly for the past two years and this is the first time I've noticed anything irregular.

It's strange to me simply due to the fact that I just noticed the irritation several days after my last session, not during the days I was consuming it. Which is why I'm not sure if Kava is the culprit.