What's new

Member Soapbox Does anyone else drink kava all day?

Roaddog

Kava Who?
I generally don't like to do this, but some days are so hard, I find myself taking a morning dose, a mid day dose, then an evening dose. I realize that is a lot of kava. I probably use about a cup of raw material, made into a very well strained tea. I usually use soy milk or water. Ill make sort of a larger batch, about half a cup, of root, and then Ill make two more teas, out of the other half a cup. Is that too much? I don't do it every day, but I did today. Just guess I needed it. I usually only use about 3/4 of a cup a day.
I also am getting some kava, dermopathy. I have dry hands, and face chapped lips, and I get patches that come and go in different parts too. I was wondering am I playing with fire on all this? I just don't want to set the kava down right know. I have had the dermopathy, for a good 2 or 3 months, to some extent. I just live with it. Now I am wondering, If the occasional all day use, would make the dermopathy, even worse.
Also I was even wondering, what most folks use for an average daily consumption, of dry powdered root? I realize that, there are a lot of factors, biggest one being potency. But I just curious, If you could post your daily use, way of consuming, and your degree of dermopathy. My understanding is everyone gets dermopathy to some extent. so the 4 questions are.

1) is it safe to have all day kava sessions, and its effects on dermopathy?
2)how much Kava(in dried root material) do you use a day?
3) A quick answer to how you prepare your kava?
4) how much dose this use cause you dermopathy?
Now I realize stopping Kava, will cure this. But that's just not an option, as to really high stress times. So I was wondering how the other members deal with this, without stopping? I plan to cut back.(y) Much love. Roaddog....

Last edited:

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I've been drinking kava daily for about 8 years. When I stopped drinking tudei and stopped drinking non-strained root the dermopathy cut back considerably. Keep drinking it. Kava has this lovely effect of letting you know when it's time to change the schedule up. You'll regulate yourself in time.

keeron

Kava Enthusiast
I generally don't like to do this, but some days are so hard, I find myself taking a morning dose, a mid day dose, then an evening dose. I realize that is a lot of kava. I probably use about a cup of raw material, made into a very well strained tea. I usually use soy milk or water. Ill make sort of a larger batch, about half a cup, of root, and then Ill make two more teas, out of the other half a cup. Is that too much? I don't do it every day, but I did today. Just guess I needed it. I usually only use about 3/4 of a cup a day.
I also am getting some kava, dermopathy. I have dry hands, and face chapped lips, and I get patches that come and go in different parts too. I was wondering am I playing with fire on all this? I just don't want to set the kava down right know. I have had the dermopathy, for a good 2 or 3 months, to some extent. I just live with it. Now I am wondering, If the occasional all day use, would make the dermopathy, even worse.
Also I was even wondering, what most folks use for an average daily consumption, of dry powdered root? I realize that, there are a lot of factors, biggest one being potency. But I just curious, If you could post your daily use, way of consuming, and your degree of dermopathy. My understanding is everyone gets dermopathy to some extent. so the 4 questions are.

1) is it safe to have all day kava sessions, and its effects on dermopathy?
2)how much Kava(in dried root material) do you use a day?
3) A quick answer to how you prepare your kava?
4) how much dose this use cause you dermopathy?
Now I realize stopping Kava, will cure this. But that's just not an option, as to really high stress times. So I was wondering how the other members deal with this, without stopping? I plan to cut back.(y)
I did today!!!!
I drank 500ml through out the day. Now im about to refill and have another 500ml.

1. Yes, if you only drink the same amount of Kava, but drink it throughout the day.
1. If you mean that you keep making new Kava brew's every 2 hours, then im unsure, but making 1 large brew to last you throughout the day is safe.

2. 50- 60 Grams. I used to use 30 grams until recently.
3.I used to toss and wash, until i got some really Twiggy Medium Grind Kava from BKH, i now strain my Kava.
4. I Haven't experienced dermopathy yet. Maybe i will soon.

There is a thread with infraredz and kavadude i think ?? I dont know who started the thread. I forgot.
But basically they are using certain types of Body & Hand Cream to help with dermopathy.

Check these threads : http://www.kavaforums.com/forum/threads/kava-dermopathy.22/
http://www.kavaforums.com/forum/threads/amlactin-dermopathy-question.2638/

Roaddog

Kava Who?
^^^ya, I read both of those threads. Great stuff. From what I gather, I must drink through it. But I have had it (dermopathy) to some degree for a while, it seems to get gradually worse. I guess maybe this might be part of the process. I get itchy some times like my head, and sides, sometimes my bum. I don't know, if there is some kind of push through effect, or something. Much love. Roaddog....

Last edited:

keeron

Kava Enthusiast
^^^ya, I read both of those threads. Great stuff. From what I gather, I must drink through it. But I have had it (dermopathy) to some degree for a while, it seems to get gradually worse. I guess maybe this might be part of the process. I get itchy some times like my head, and sides, sometimes my bum. I don't know, if there is some kind of push through effect, or something.
Hmm. kava is pretty strange. Because ive never had any dermopathy . Neither have other people, yet loads of other have suffered from this.
And i just re-read your first post @Roaddog. I think its safe to say that 3/4 of a Cup of Noble Kava every day is relatively safe.

Last edited:

Roaddog

Kava Who?
Also I will add, I do take 3 separate teas, made at separate times. And yes I usually go through 3/4 of a cup. But today it was a whole cup, or will be, I just finished my second session. Much love. Roaddog....

keeron

Kava Enthusiast
Also I will add, I do take 3 separate teas, made at separate times. And yes I usually go through 3/4 of a cup. But today it was a whole cup, or will be, I just finished my second session. Much love. Roaddog....
If it is Noble Kava then i would not worry about it.
Im sure plenty of us in here have used that much before.

The real danger only come's into play when you mix Kava with Alcohol or Consume Tudei Kava everday.
Noble Kava is the safest Kava and i wouldnt worry about using a Cup of Kava today.
Infact when i first started using Kava and didnt know the doses, i used way more than a Cup, just for One Kava Session.

I also think alot of us drink throughout the day aswell.

I know I do ! (y)

keeron

Kava Enthusiast
If you are worried about excessive Kava doses :
Make Weaker Kava brew's : Use less Kava but Use more liquid.
Use more liquid, so you can go most of the day and only get through 3 Tbsp.

So this way you can limit the amount of Kava you are using, but still drink throughout the day.
And drinking more Kava, can make Dermopathy worse from what ive heard. Or it can at least prolong the Dermopathy.

Roaddog

Kava Who?
^^^ Ya, I see your point, at this point, I should cut back. its just sometimes easer to say, than do. I love the stuff. It helps greatly. Much love. Roaddog....

Robert

Kava Curious
I've done this a lot, and In fact have gone through periods of drinking more than that, like trying to remain in that blissfull krunk phase on a Sunday reading books and napping, and all in all I've learned that kava throughout the day makes me feel like crap by the end. And I've gotten severe dermopathy from it in the past, the only way I was able to deal with that is limit to one solid seassion at the end of the day, strain well and don't keep going back for more before bed. The dermopathy can get bad, and it can have another effect that's undesirable, a sort of runny nose where the bottom of your nose burns, and it burns the sides of your eyes, you feel constantly run down as hell. If you limit kava sessions to just evenings it never gets this bad. This is my experience. After a couple days off kava sometimes I find I feel a lot better without it. Try it out, probably because it wrecks my sleep a lot of the time.

Roaddog

Kava Who?
I've done this a lot, and In fact have gone through periods of drinking more than that, like trying to remain in that blissfull krunk phase on a Sunday reading books and napping, and all in all I've learned that kava throughout the day makes me feel like crap by the end. And I've gotten severe dermopathy from it in the past, the only way I was able to deal with that is limit to one solid seassion at the end of the day, strain well and don't keep going back for more before bed. The dermopathy can get bad, and it can have another effect that's undesirable, a sort of runny nose where the bottom of your nose burns, and it burns the sides of your eyes, you feel constantly run down as hell. If you limit kava sessions to just evenings it never gets this bad. This is my experience. After a couple days off kava sometimes I find I feel a lot better without it. Try it out, probably because it wrecks my sleep a lot of the time.
That probably some very good advice there. I got the nose thing, and my eyes are puffy. My hands look like I'm 60years old. Much love. Roaddog....

Hyperion

Kava Enthusiast
So far, I can't drink kava early in the morning, unless there is a nap in the near future, like an hour or two away.

I drank a mild batch this morning, and then slept like a baby for about 3 hours.

I have always found it amazing how some people could drink coffee all day long. I have a couple of aunts who do that. If I drink more than 2 cups of coffee, I will literally be so nervous that I'm shaking. Around 4 cups, I turn green and throw up. :sick:

Roaddog

Kava Who?
I wonder if there is certain kavas, that are less prone to giving one dermopathy? I have Googled dermopathy images. and wow. There's some folks there that look like lizards. Im just really not wanting things to get like that. Like I said, Its probably not too bad right know, but I want to keep it that way. Also I want to enjoy kava. I would like to find a place where I have only an evening kava, on the week days, and maybe hit it hard on a Saturday night. Much love. Roaddog....

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
I wonder if there is certain kavas, that are less prone to giving one dermopathy? I have Googled dermopathy images. and wow. There's some folks there that look like lizards. Im just really not wanting things to get like that. Like I said, Its probably not too bad right know, but I want to keep it that way. Also I want to enjoy kava. I would like to find a place where I have only an evening kava, on the week days, and maybe hit it hard on a Saturday night. Much love. Roaddog....
Haha oh my...about half of those are from the forums.

keeron

Kava Enthusiast
Hmm, interesting.
That actually hasnt been discussed too much.

I wonder what @Gourmet Hawaiian Kava could share, regarding dermopathy ?
And dermopathy in certain Kava Strains as compared to others.

D

Deleted User01

Its hard for me to drink kava in the morning because I always take a nap after lunch. It trashes me and then I'm useless the rest of the day. I start at 2:30PM and it keeps me buzzing till the end of the workday. Then I bring out the heavy guns for sleep (Hiwa, Papa Kea, Nene). I have a weird schedule because I go to bed at 9pm and wake up at 4:45. I also cannot drink coffee after my 3 cups in the morning. Once in a while I can do an iced coffee in the afternoon but it either has Kava or Kava is right behind it (so I can sleep).

KavaLot

Kava Enthusiast
I drink about a litre of kava per day and feel rather blessed that I only seem to get the odd bout of derm on my scalp. I know it's not psoriasis or eczema because I will suffer from both of these from time to time. Kava induced derm feels like no other. Itchy as hell quite frankly. The only natural way that I'm aware of stopping it is to quit the kava for a while. But if you're like me and aren't willing to take that route my best suggestion is to use a corticosteroid cream (prescription strength) to get it under control. Then use it periodically as a maintenance dose. Once you have it under your grip, you'll soon figure out what strains impact you more than others. For me Tudei Is brutal, let alone the taste, stomach ache and other serious consequences. But I have noticed some noble strains that I'm more sensitive to. This may be a factor of grind size however. I never toss n' wash, not even the micronized varieties. I also quit fooling around with trying to make extracts with anything but water. I've always been a bit of a rebel though and had to find that out for myself, in spite of the great advice offered by everyone here. I agree with the Kapm', you don't have to quit kava just because of a little derm. It's just a personal choice on how you want to treat it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roaddog

Kava Who?
I drink about a litre of kava per day and feel rather blessed that I only seem to get the odd bout of derm on my scalp. I know it's not psoriasis or eczema because I will suffer from both of these from time to time. Kava induced derm feels like no other. Itchy as hell quite frankly. The only natural way that I'm aware of stopping it is to quit the kava for a while. But if you're like me and aren't willing to take that route my best suggestion is to use a corticosteroid cream (prescription strength) to get it under control. Then use it periodically as a maintenance dose. Once you have it under your grip, you'll soon figure out what strains impact you more than others. For me Tudei Is brutal, let alone the taste, stomach ache and other serious consequences. But I have noticed some noble strains that I'm more sensitive to. This may be a factor of grind size however. I never toss n' wash, not even the micronized varieties. I also quit fooling around with trying to make extracts with anything but water. I've always been a bit of a rebel though and had to find that out for myself, in spite of the great advice offered by everyone here. I agree with the Kapm', you don't have to quit kava just because of a little derm. It's just a personal choice on how you want to treat it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well there may be something with the Tudei. I was using it every day for like maybe 2 weeks, because I ordered several bags of the Wakacom, Vanuatu, right before the took it off the shelves. I orderd Like 4 pounds of the stuff. Aparently that batch was deemed Tudei, from tests conducted here. It gave me awful headaches, and that's when this whole skin thing really got fired up. I still have some of the stuff, but have stopped using it, as of a week ago. Maybe that's what's giving me problems, and I have heard it can get worse before it gets better. But ya, Im a bit itchy too. I did my evening Kava, about an hour ago. I think for a while, Ill try to just stick to evenings. Much love. Roaddog....

violet

Do all things with love
@Roaddog A lot of us that have dermopathy issues often have a little going on somewhere always. Sometimes it doesn't matter if you try to drink through it or not, the result is still the same. You just find that balance between how much you can drink on a daily basis and how much dermopathy you feel like dealing with. The best thing I know for it is what Kavalot does, use a prescription steroid ointment, works wonders.

I used to get fierce dermopathy from drinking boroguru. It could have been the grind, it could have been the root, hard to tell. When BKH's grind got finer I had to jump ship because a single session gave me instant killer skin issues. I've gotten it from other kinds of kava as well. The Hawaiians are a different story, I don't get dermopathy from them and I drink a good bit of it every day (60-100 grams strained unless I have micronized). The closest I ever got to dermopathy from GHK kava is when I went through a half pound of micronized in a few days, got a little bit of eye dryness but nothing more. So I think certain kavas could be more apt to cause dermopathy than others.