What's new

Does anyone wish for more Kava normalization ?

Go Krunk Yourself

Kava Enthusiast
One of the things I find kind of disappointing about Kava is how so frequently if you are outside of the islands you have to enjoy it alone. My attempts to move people towards Kava usually sputter out on taste or just "fear" I guess? Alcohol is so normalized in our society I had two beers last night and all I could think to myself is "I'd much rather enjoy some Kava with some nice people". Kava has all but replaced alcohol for me except in a social setting. I wish having a beer would be on the same level as having one of KWK's kava in a bottle things. People cringe at me for the taste and the fact I hold my nose, yet do shots of vodka and mix their spirits with caffeine and high fructose corn syrup. I live in Thailand the majority of the year and would absolutely love to open a Kava establishment but the military junta here is questionable in their perception of things although K@ is moving towards legalization here as well as Marijuana becoming medical, but I'm a foreigner so it's too up in the air for me right now. I know some Kava bars exist in NY and Orlando and Boca that seem interesting but I've never been. I'm not the biggest fan of the pricing model some of these places use in photos I've seen where they only sell "kava".. Is it heady? Is it heavy? The day I can have a social setting similar to Alcohol that I can go to on my off-time that involves wonderful Kava I will be a happy man!

_byron

Kava Enthusiast
I completely agree with what you are saying. I wish kava could be more prevalent in american society. I think one day it will.. As far as kava lounges go there are none where I live and really wish there was so I had a relaxing "third place" to go.

I visited Miami for work some months ago and upon returning with no plans for the night I was really bummed there was no kava lounges to go to like florida had. Every night in florida was a new kava lounge with a new community. One experience I had in a kava lounge was talking to complete strangers for 2+ hours. This is something I have not experienced after quitting drinking, and is quiet hard to do in other public settings. But the kava lounges offer a great setting where everyone is open to socialize.

kavakarma

Kava Enthusiast
Wonderful discussion. I would love to have a Kava bar in my town, especially if I owned it. I live in New York and have never been to a Nakamal nor heard of one existing in the area. I have made my own Kava in local tea/coffee bars and served it to employees. I host tea parties with my friends, we have fruit and shells. It would be quite nice to go some place where I'd have a sincere interest in meeting the people. I would drink a lot of shells, have a flask, and probably be making Kava right there if, for some reason, I didn't work at the establishment. Working at a Kava bar is a dream job for me, I make Kava quite well, my friends can tell you, I have experience in hospitality and food and I love drinking Kava.

Go Krunk Yourself

Kava Enthusiast
Wonderful discussion. I would love to have a Kava bar in my town, especially if I owned it. I live in New York and have never been to a Nakamal nor heard of one existing in the area. I have made my own Kava in local tea/coffee bars and served it to employees. I host tea parties with my friends, we have fruit and shells. It would be quite nice to go some place where I'd have a sincere interest in meeting the people. I would drink a lot of shells, have a flask, and probably be making Kava right there if, for some reason, I didn't work at the establishment. Working at a Kava bar is a dream job for me, I make Kava quite well, my friends can tell you, I have experience in hospitality and food and I love drinking Kava.
The ones in New York seem slightly disingenuous theirs just something off that makes me uncomfortable compared to the ones in Florida. I'm heavily considering opening one here in Thailand a sort of kava / unique teas and drinks shop I grow tired of all my internet business ventures but opening a business as a foreigner is hard here. I think prepping kava and talking to people all day in one of my favorite places would be an end goal for me.

Mo'iety

Kava Enthusiast
@kavakarma I think there are a few kava bars in the NYC area according to Kalm with Kava's interactive map: https://kalmwithkava.com/kava-bars/
I've never been to any of them and have no idea what the reputation is like i.e. where they source their kava from, commitment to Noble-only, etc. There are none in my city (Seattle) but I went to Bula Kava House in Portland last time I was there and it was great.

kavakarma

Kava Enthusiast
I've got an offer for a storefront on the main street of my village, they're asking $800 or $900 per month. I would have to sell a couple hundred shells at $5 each in order for it to be sustainable, I work minimum wage part time, and have zero plans to hire any staff. It would be open a few days a week, but I am friends with the owners of this building since I already work in it. I also have no idea how to acquire permits to open an establishment, sure my current employer could help. It's something I'd love to try. What should I know to move forward?

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I've got an offer for a storefront on the main street of my village, they're asking $800 or $900 per month. I would have to sell a couple hundred shells at $5 each in order for it to be sustainable, I work minimum wage part time, and have zero plans to hire any staff. It would be open a few days a week, but I am friends with the owners of this building since I already work in it. I also have no idea how to acquire permits to open an establishment, sure my current employer could help. It's something I'd love to try. What should I know to move forward?
You'll have to factor in the cost of the kava too. Electricity, water, taxes. You'd need to sell quite a bit to turn a profit.

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
Go Krunk Yourself ;
There is a kava group in Thailand that get together once a week or so, and also sell kavs brought in from Tonga. They have a fb group page:
https://www.facebook.com/ThailandKavaCircles/

I am in neighbouring Laos and havent made it to any of their sessions but they seem quite active.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

IloveKava23

Kava Curious
Man, a buddy of mine, before he fell out bad on alcohol, use to drink kava with me and it was fantastic. Socialization like that is just unheard of for me as someone who is a benzo/heroin addict. I'm super shy but kava just opens me up and we had the best of times drinking kava on the beach. Theres no better social lubricant in my book.

kavakarma

Kava Enthusiast
I'll buy a tent at a farmer's market for a day and serve lots and lots of Kava. I will have coconut cups, fruit, lots of different Kava, water, strainers, containers, gloves, and bowls.

kavakarma

Kava Enthusiast
"I think prepping kava and talking to people all day in one of my favorite places would be an end goal for me."

Yes. I agree. I have changed my view for now. I now wish to keep Kava to myself. I have talked to my friends about selling Kava in a business or at a farmer's market, and they have determined me that it's not my best interests. They think it is a powerful drug with a horrible taste, and just hearing that is enough for me to keep it to myself.

edit: They have tried it more than once, with me, when I was certain I prepared it in the traditional way. Their response is that it is "strong, changes the way you feel, unusual tasting" -- which is what I like about it. If I want to experience it I'll have to go to the islands.

avahZ

YAHWEH Shalom
The more socially accepted Kava become, the harder it is to get it. See all the “sold out” spots in vendor stores. It does seems to be leveling off now. If it gets any more popular we could be in trouble. I enjoy a shell or twenty with the wifu and that’s good enough for me.

Michael Nielsen

Kava Enthusiast
The more socially accepted Kava become, the harder it is to get it. See all the “sold out” spots in vendor stores. It does seems to be leveling off now. If it gets any more popular we could be in trouble. I enjoy a shell or twenty with the wifu and that’s good enough for me.
It takes a few years for the market to respond to the incresed demand.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
One of the things I find kind of disappointing about Kava is how so frequently if you are outside of the islands you have to enjoy it alone. My attempts to move people towards Kava usually sputter out on taste or just "fear" I guess? Alcohol is so normalized in our society I had two beers last night and all I could think to myself is "I'd much rather enjoy some Kava with some nice people". Kava has all but replaced alcohol for me except in a social setting. I wish having a beer would be on the same level as having one of KWK's kava in a bottle things. People cringe at me for the taste and the fact I hold my nose, yet do shots of vodka and mix their spirits with caffeine and high fructose corn syrup. I live in Thailand the majority of the year and would absolutely love to open a Kava establishment but the military junta here is questionable in their perception of things although K@ is moving towards legalization here as well as Marijuana becoming medical, but I'm a foreigner so it's too up in the air for me right now. I know some Kava bars exist in NY and Orlando and Boca that seem interesting but I've never been. I'm not the biggest fan of the pricing model some of these places use in photos I've seen where they only sell "kava".. Is it heady? Is it heavy? The day I can have a social setting similar to Alcohol that I can go to on my off-time that involves wonderful Kava I will be a happy man!
The best way to get kava more accepted is to stop "hiding" it. For the longest time I didn't tell anyone my use. Once I stopped hiding it and just openly started using it, more and more folks are interested. My wife now drinks almost nightly with me, if I need a shell at work I shake up an aluball, I openly drink it in front of friends and family. The only real issue with acceptance that I have seen is some confusing it with the other K and a warning from my FIL to watch out for drug interactions (at 80+ he probably just read an article about scary supplements...). Otherwise no one cares. Acceptance comes from not treating it as something to hide. Nobody seems to care that 85% of the US population starts their day with a psychoactive compound...they shouldn't care one bit about my use either.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
The best way to get kava more accepted is to stop "hiding" it. For the longest time I didn't tell anyone my use. Once I stopped hiding it and just openly started using it, more and more folks are interested. My wife now drinks almost nightly with me, if I need a shell at work I shake up an aluball, I openly drink it in front of friends and family. The only real issue with acceptance that I have seen is some confusing it with the other K and a warning from my FIL to watch out for drug interactions (at 80+ he probably just read an article about scary supplements...). Otherwise no one cares. Acceptance comes from not treating it as something to hide. Nobody seems to care that 85% of the US population starts their day with a psychoactive compound...they shouldn't care one bit about my use either.
Very well said, and I agree completely.