What's new

Drinking kava without milk (wacky I know!!!)

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
So I was away from home for a few days and on the way home I forgot to pick up any fresh milk. Last night I drank kava without milk for the first time in over a year. I can honestly say that the experience was not as pleasant or rounded. I had Art of Kava Koro Island which is usually a very good muscle relaxing and sedative kava. I definitely got effects but just not as deep and rounded as drinking with milk. I didn't eat or drink anything fatty the next morning but I am sure I would have got an uplift from the kava. Tonight I drank with milk and I can feel the difference for sure. My muscles feel really good to stretch and I know I'm going to sleep well. Even just adding a quarter milk to three quarters water makes a big difference. Everyone should at least give it a try.

yiki

Kava Enthusiast
I recently tried to knead with water+milk and sometimes doing a wash with only milk. At first i thought the results were much better and also longer lasting but then I also experienced some duds. I'm really not sure why on some days the kava just works amazingly and others, it just stops and gives me blue balls. I'm always in a fasted state too.

Aceofwands9

Kava Enthusiast
The taste isn’t horrible but I don’t want to contaminate my strainer/makas with something like that.
Yeah, that's the main reason i don't try it too. I've made almond milk and cinnamon micro kava before but that's as in depth as i want to get. I tried almond milk in my alubottle once but it gummed it up much quicker than normal. I know in another thread edward said he puts his aluballs in the dishwasher after each use w/ the milk prep. So it definately requires more vigilant cleaning especially when using regular cow's milk.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Tonight's the night. Haven't had any kava for a couple of days, so I'll return and report back tomorrow with an in depth analysis. On another note, I've only got half and half right now, but I'm assuming the additional fat will just be a good thing.
I use semi skimmed milk which I think is about 2% fat. I've used whole milk and it doesn't seem to make much difference so I'm not totally convinced it's the fat that makes the difference.

Ok, so a note to the sceptics @Krunʞy and others. Maybe just try drinking your kava without the milk and then afterwards drink some milk. If you notice an uplift in effects then you will know what I am talking about?

jewalker7842

Kava Curious
I can’t drink it without mixing it without milk or coconut milk. I use micronionized but do the same thing for my medium grind if I’m out.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I use semi skimmed milk which I think is about 2% fat. I've used whole milk and it doesn't seem to make much difference so I'm not totally convinced it's the fat that makes the difference.

Ok, so a note to the sceptics @Krunʞy and others. Maybe just try drinking your kava without the milk and then afterwards drink some milk. If you notice an uplift in effects then you will know what I am talking about?
I have many times but I get the intended results with the kava alone, the milk is a nice chaser, especially for extra peppery Vanu's.

Kalm with Kava

Kava Vendor
So the grog last night was definitely different. I wouldn't say it was bad, per se, but I also didn't really see much of a difference in effects? It changed the texture to something slightly smoother which was nice, but overall the experience wasn't much different. Certainly not as bad as I thought it was going to be, but not really that much different. Who knows, maybe I'll try again another time and it'll blow my mind.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
So the grog last night was definitely different. I wouldn't say it was bad, per se, but I also didn't really see much of a difference in effects? It changed the texture to something slightly smoother which was nice, but overall the experience wasn't much different. Certainly not as bad as I thought it was going to be, but not really that much different. Who knows, maybe I'll try again another time and it'll blow my mind.
Maybe it depends on the type of kava as well? I drink a lot of heavy kava and I certainly notice the heavy effects more with the milk. It may even be different from person to person including the type of diet the person consumes so that the milk adds something extra that is otherwise missing? Well done for giving it a go anyway, you never know, it might grow on you.

Kalm with Kava

Kava Vendor
Maybe it depends on the type of kava as well? I drink a lot of heavy kava and I certainly notice the heavy effects more with the milk. It may even be different from person to person including the type of diet the person consumes so that the milk adds something extra that is otherwise missing? Well done for giving it a go anyway, you never know, it might grow on you.
I'm also a heavy kava drinker, and used Borogu last night. I'll try again maybe with Boronguru or Vula and see what happens.

KavaKween

Kava Curious
I nearly always add milk to my mixture- most likely because it was recommended when I initially researched kava some years ago. I posted in another thread that I find kava usually gets much stronger when it sits for a day or 2 (refrigerated). I've had some as long as 3-4 days. So, I'm wondering if the milk in the brew extracts more kavalactones while sitting.

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
I've always thougt that this was a very weird thing to do, but into my 7th week of full lockdown (literally guys with M16s blocking all my exit roads) I'm going to try it, even if only to mark the day out from all the other days. I'll let you know...