What's new

Freeze Drying Your Grog

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
Im thinking about buying one of those Harvest freeze dryers that you see on TV commercials.

Do you think that could be an easy way to make your own instant kava?

It seems to me that the answer would be yes, but dont want to buy one unless I feel slightly more confident that it would work.

D

Deleted User01

You should ask @Gourmet Hawaiian Kava about that. He has often told me that he invented the process of making instant. So that should make him an expert since I'm sure there was trial and error involved.

If not, then you can lend it to me so I can freeze dry all these dang tomatoes from the garden. :hungry:

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
You should ask @Gourmet Hawaiian Kava about that. He has often told me that he invented the process of making instant. So that should make him an expert since I'm sure there was trial and error involved.

If not, then you can lend it to me so I can freeze dry all these dang tomatoes from the garden. :hungry:
I doubt he would dilvulge any info about his process. Id be very surprised otherwise.

D

Deleted User01

Headgie, find out if that freeze dry machine can be used on liquid coffee or liquid milk. When you add water to the resultant powder, will it reconstitute back to it's original form. If the answer is yes, then the Grog idea may work out.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
@HeadHodge I think with this you'd be able to create the sudo-instant that I made with the heating plate minus the extra taste that heating will impart. It would probably turn out quite nice, but you'd have to get the moisture content down considerably before you began the lyophilizer process. Looks like you've got that down with the washer unit.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
@HeadHodge I made instant too using a food dehydrator but the heating kind. It worked ok but it took a very long time and a whole lot of root to make a small amount of instant albeit pretty potent stuff.

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
I doubt he would dilvulge any info about his process. Id be very surprised otherwise.
First of all, freeze drying and dehydrating is 2 very different things. I have had my kava freeze dried before and I have had some freeze dried kava from another company that had made some. To me it was weaker than any kava I sell, both the one I had made with my kava and the other made from some other kava. The taste was very mild and it mixes with water and dissolves instantly with no powdery residue at the bottom. The reason being is that the people who do the freeze drying told me that they can not freeze dry the powder, they only freeze dry the liquid from the prepared drink, not the powder at the bottom of the glass. I think this is why it was so weak. The guy that did mine for me also tried to do the powder at my request and it was not the same. It was gritty, even though this was not micronized and medium grind was used to make the drink.
For a product that dissolves in water like that instant coffee then freeze drying works but the potency is not as much as the regular drink you make with the powder but there is no grit or powder.
The product with the powder freeze dried as well, it just did not make sense to me because of the cost and the fact that it ended up being like my micronized kava.
I use special dry boxes that uses the sun,not direct sun, these boxes are just over 2 stories high and can dry a large amount of product, and I am able to control the temp to ensure that it dries slowly with very low heat.
Heat will change the flavor and direct sunlight will affect the potency. This is very efficient and the Noni growers over here use the same style as I do because Noni can not take the heat either, it also needs to be dried slowly.
I hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions, aloha.

Chris

Zaphod

Kava Lover
I got myself an electric smoker for father's day....my second thought (right after ribs, brisket, and smoked cheese okay maybe not second) was could I use this to slowly dry prepared kava to make instant. The third thought was I wonder what it would taste like if I still used the wood chips and smoked it.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
For the record, my low-tech instant was a bit gritty at first, but after rolling around in a ball mill with some ceramic media that mostly took care of any larger particulate. I had to scrape each individual ceramic bead to get the powder off so I have to echo Chris in regards to the difficulty per batch. It's going to be a lengthy process, but in all reality it's fun and totally worth the time if you're doing it for your personal supply.

D

Deleted User01

I got myself an electric smoker for father's day....my second thought (right after ribs, brisket, and smoked cheese okay maybe not second) was could I use this to slowly dry prepared kava to make instant. The third thought was I wonder what it would taste like if I still used the wood chips and smoked it.
Duuuuude, you are going to like that smoker. Here is a quickie I did on Saturday. Buy a bag of Hickory chips and a small boston pork butt. Now put a bunch of season all on the roast and rub it in real good, nothing fancy. Slam it in the smoker at 225 and add a few chips. Go away for 6-8 hours depending on the poundage. When you come back, be sure to buy a pint of BBQ sauce at your favorite BBQ place and perhaps a bag of slider buns. Now shred or chop up the pork and eat like a king for at least 2 days. You can add cole slaw for the perfectly well balanced meal. :hungry:

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Duuuuude, you are going to like that smoker. Here is a quickie I did on Saturday. Buy a bag of Hickory chips and a small boston pork butt. Now put a bunch of season all on the roast and rub it in real good, nothing fancy. Slam it in the smoker at 225 and add a few chips. Go away for 6-8 hours depending on the poundage. When you come back, be sure to buy a pint of BBQ sauce at your favorite BBQ place and perhaps a bag of slider buns. Now shred or chop up the pork and eat like a king for at least 2 days. You can add cole slaw for the perfectly well balanced meal. :hungry:
Oh, yeah that was awesome. I went for the pork shoulder, some cajun rub, and hickory chips. Didn't get as much smoke as I wanted - will have to continue experimenting with that, but damn if it wasn't really tasty. Had some Dinosaur BBQ sauce on the side. This of course called for some nice, ice cold beers, so I abstained from the kava that night...

D

Deleted User01

@Zaphod, remember the old commercial, "Set it and forget it". That's what it amounts to. You might try throwing in more ships after 2 hours. Or chopping your own chips so they last longer (like building blocks). So now try some beef ribs. Mesquite chips, salt and pepper. Easy peasy.

TheKavaFlow

Kava Podcaster
Oh, yeah that was awesome. I went for the pork shoulder, some cajun rub, and hickory chips. Didn't get as much smoke as I wanted - will have to continue experimenting with that, but damn if it wasn't really tasty. Had some Dinosaur BBQ sauce on the side. This of course called for some nice, ice cold beers, so I abstained from the kava that night...
Depending on your smoker type, check this out:
Amazon product
It'll keep smoking for ~10 hours in my experience, so it really helps with the "set it and forget it" mentality :)

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Depending on your smoker type, check this out:
Amazon product
It'll keep smoking for ~10 hours in my experience, so it really helps with the "set it and forget it" mentality :)
It is a masterbuilt electric. The wood chips were burning up quickly...and I had a few hours in the middle of my smoke that I was away from the house so no chance to keep refiling it. Looks like I can just set this on the bottom rack and be good to go. Nice product.

TheKavaFlow

Kava Podcaster
It is a masterbuilt electric. The wood chips were burning up quickly...and I had a few hours in the middle of my smoke that I was away from the house so no chance to keep refiling it. Looks like I can just set this on the bottom rack and be good to go. Nice product.
This was actually built for the electric masterbuilt types. Only thing you want to make sure about is to not fill the water pan (Those box type smokers are the only ones with water pans anyways, they're not needed).