What's new

From adulterated to noble and back again...

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
...or in short, how obvious the negative effects tudei became after spending months using only noble kava and then going back to adulterated kava.

For the last couple years, my main kava 90% of the time, was a heavy, adulterated Fiji waka. 25-50% tudei likely, based on the acetone test. (vendors can safely unclench their sphincters, I buy this locally from a Sāmoan dude) I drank it almost every day because it was cheap, potent and convenient. The effect of the 'Shaka Mystery Waka' was most similar to the famous and expensive heavy hitter, Stone. It's body heavy, sedating, very relaxing but also dulling, bloating and can be nauseating. It puts you in a deep sleep and even upon waking up you can still feel very comfortably lazy. Tudei kavas and heavy noble kavas share a lot of these traits, to a degree.

I became very accustomed to this kava, but started noticing the over-grogginess of it, both during and the day after consuming it, would really start wearing on me and making me feel flat out gross. So when I'd get to that point, I'd buy a bag of something 'lighter' online. It was a welcome relief, as it would bring a pleasant perkiness back to my kava nights and give me gentle next days. However, after a few days of lighter stuff, it always felt like somewhat of a let down, not being able to achieve the full potent relaxation and deep kava spell that the adulterated waka could cast...so I'd soon be back at it.

Outside of simply not feeling quite as joyous while drinking my heavy stuff for too many days. What began to worry me, was how zapped and detached I would often feel the entire next day. Frequently to the point where it would be a true struggle to make it through without a nap or even have the gusto to do anything at all. The hazy detachment was similar to a certain aspect of anxiety problems, which is the opposite of what you are looking for with kava. The most worrying aspect though, is one that I've alluded to a few times on the forum...I started noticing a few drips of blood in the toilet, usually the morning after a night where it felt like the kava hit me awesomely hard. (this was not peeing blood visibly, but just a few drips at some point in the process)

I haven't wanted to bring that up much because I know I couldn't completely prove it was the kava that was doing it. I started thinking that it usually seemed to happen after drinking alcohol on the weekend and then switching back into this heavy kava too quick and hard. I also noticed it only seemed to happen over one night, then it wouldn't show up again for a while, even if I drank the kava again the next night. I also knew that it could have been the result of some other undiagnosed problem that I wasn't aware of...but I did know I had never noticed it at any other time in my life, and it never happened/happens when I drink alcohol.

Despite being a natural worry wart, my insurance telling me that they don't cover regular check-ups and blood work and me being in debt, prevented me from properly looking into my health as of yet. I looked up stuff online and found a few medical sites that referenced 'blood in the urine' associated with kava use and there was the study of Australian aboriginal abuse of kava that also showed an increased likelihood for having blood in the urine. But it didn't really link it to any specific problem.

So, I finally went on a several month long noble kava kick and started noticing some differences. After drinking 100% noble only, my near constant state of taming dermopathy stopped. Dermopathy actually started reversing with daily noble usage. Only after months of noble drinking, did I begin to start getting subtle signs of it starting to kick back up. The day after noble drinking was almost never lethargic and zombie-like. Outside of a couple instances where I drank a lot of micronized and stayed up later than I should have, noble kava was significantly easier on me the next day. The kava buzz itself, was often but not always, more happy...less groggy and also easier on my stomach. But depending on the cultivar, some could still be pretty rough on my stomach and leave me feeling dull, bloated and less mentally satisfied. Sometimes I think this is a problem more with my personal body chemistry.
Unfortunately, I seem to have I high tolerance for most kavas. Perhaps more so with nobles...and I find it harder to reach what I consider the 'full' or 'upper level' kava buzz. The point where you can really feel it take you over, enjoying waves of chilled out bliss, "kava-lala-land". It was very easy to reach with my spiked waka. This is why I continuously praise only a certain few nobles. While they are all enjoyable, Mahakea & Borongoru were the most capable of producing reliably enjoyable and potent effects without having to use extreme dosages.

Most importantly, during months of noble usage, I don't recall ever seeing blood droplets in the toilet the morning after.

Recently, out of convenience, I bought some of my old adulterated waka again. I drank a batch and by the end of the session, I was completely swept away. Despite the bloating and temporary nausea, when it kicked in full blast, it didn't disappoint. It was very enjoyable.
I woke up in the morning, and there it was...the first night back to the spiked waka...awesomely strong experience...and a few blood drops in the toilet. The entire next day, I was completely zapped. It now felt even worse than it did before. It is so clearly harsh now, compared to my time on noble. But maybe that's just because it was my first day back ? So I drank it again the next night, no blood this time, but the next day was equally as unlivable. I stopped for a couple days and then decided to try a half dose one night, it was pretty mild and there wasn't as much of an issue the following day. So that night, I decided to kick it up to 3/4 of my normal dose. More enjoyable effects were achieved, but here I am again...completely zapped today, with a twisted sloshing bloated gut all day long...and once again, there was a little bit of suspiciously colored urine drips in the toilet when I first woke up.

It seems pretty clear to me now that the tudei spiking in this waka, is likely the cause of my problems. There's still a chance this kava may be contaminated with something else or have mold or something that contributes...but I don't think I'll ever know for sure.
I also noticed that as it's effects seem to be even more harsh than they were before, the beverage also has a pinier scent. Which might suggest a higher ratio of tudei mixed into it now.
If this is what 25-50% tudei adulteration is like, I can't imagine how terrible 100% tudei would be.
Although, I have consumed PNG tudei from N@H and BKH and neither were this rough. But, I also didn't drink them long term.
I enjoy the potency and the full body buzz of this stuff, but really I can't wait to get back on the noble train.

:dead:
::shell::::kavaleaf::::fkb::::kavaleaf::::shell::
::couch::

Last edited:

sɥɐʞɐs

Review Maestro
Could it be dehydration?
I considered dehydration, but I keep myself pretty well hydrated with water all day. I also couldn't find significant info linking dehydration to blood in urine. ...and in this case why would the dehydration only be evident when I drink this particular kava, but never with noble ?

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
Hm. While I personally wouldn't (willingly/knowingly) drink tudei, I think we cannot discount the possibility that your Fijian waka might contain not only tudei, but also aerial parts, mould or some other shit (read the story I posted about kava in Australia - apparently some people add cement to it in order to increase the volumes!).
Now, the question is what kind of impurity is potentially the most dangerous one. Tudei? Bark? Leaves? Mould? I've done a bit of reading and it seems that mould is universally considered to be a very serious problem even when it's just a bit of it. Aerial parts are potentially very harmful, but some studies suggest that a lot depends on the amounts (and pm accumulates in the body, if I am not mistaken). Tudei? Well, we know it's fishy, but we still don't fully understand why and how..

Last edited by a moderator:

ApéroNoble

The d'Artagnan forum 4th Kavateer
...or in short, how obvious the negative effects tudei became after spending months using only noble kava and then going back to adulterated kava.

For the last couple years, my main kava 90% of the time, was a heavy, adulterated Fiji waka. 25-50% tudei likely, based on the acetone test. (vendors can safely unclench their sphincters, I buy this locally from a Sāmoan dude) I drank it almost every day because it was cheap, potent and convenient. The effect of the 'Shaka Mystery Waka' was most similar to the famous and expensive heavy hitter, Stone. It's body heavy, sedating, very relaxing but also dulling, bloating and can be nauseating. It puts you in a deep sleep and even upon waking up you can still feel very comfortably lazy. Tudei kavas and heavy noble kavas share a lot of these traits, to a degree.

I became very accustomed to this kava, but started noticing the over-grogginess of it, both during and the day after consuming it, would really start wearing on me and making me feel flat out gross. So when I'd get to that point, I'd buy a bag of something 'lighter' online. It was a welcome relief, as it would bring a pleasant perkiness back to my kava nights and give me gentle next days. However, after a few days of lighter stuff, it always felt like somewhat of a let down, not being able to achieve the full potent relaxation and deep kava spell that the adulterated waka could cast...so I'd soon be back at it.

Outside of simply not feeling quite as joyous while drinking my heavy stuff for too many days. What began to worry me, was how zapped and detached I would often feel the entire next day. Frequently to the point where it would be a true struggle to make it through without a nap or even have the gusto to do anything at all. The hazy detachment was similar to a certain aspect of anxiety problems, which is the opposite of what you are looking for with kava. The most worrying aspect though, is one that I've alluded to a few times on the forum...I started noticing a few drips of blood in the toilet, usually the morning after a night where it felt like the kava hit me awesomely hard. (this was not peeing blood visibly, but just a few drips at some point in the process)

I haven't wanted to bring that up much because I know I couldn't completely prove it was the kava that was doing it. I started thinking that it usually seemed to happen after drinking alcohol on the weekend and then switching back into this heavy kava too quick and hard. I also noticed it only seemed to happen over one night, then it wouldn't show up again for a while, even if I drank the kava again the next night. I also knew that it could have been the result of some other undiagnosed problem that I wasn't aware of...but I did know I had never noticed it at any other time in my life, and it never happened/happens when I drink alcohol.

Despite being a natural worry wart, my insurance telling me that they don't cover regular check-ups and blood work and me being in debt, prevented me from properly looking into my health as of yet. I looked up stuff online and found a few medical sites that referenced 'blood in the urine' associated with kava use and there was the study of Australian aboriginal abuse of kava that also showed an increased likelihood for having blood in the urine. But it didn't really link it to any specific problem.

So, I finally went on a several month long noble kava kick and started noticing some differences. After drinking 100% noble only, my near constant state of taming dermopathy stopped. Dermopathy actually started reversing with daily noble usage. Only after months of noble drinking, did I begin to start getting subtle signs of it starting to kick back up. The day after noble drinking was almost never lethargic and zombie-like. Outside of a couple instances where I drank a lot of micronized and stayed up later than I should have, noble kava was significantly easier on me the next day. The kava buzz itself, was often but not always, more happy...less groggy and also easier on my stomach. But depending on the cultivar, some could still be pretty rough on my stomach and leave me feeling dull, bloated and less mentally satisfied. Sometimes I think this is a problem more with my personal body chemistry.
Unfortunately, I seem to have I high tolerance for most kavas. Perhaps more so with nobles...and I find it harder to reach what I consider the 'full' or 'upper level' kava buzz. The point where you can really feel it take you over, enjoying waves of chilled out bliss, "kava-lala-land". It was very easy to reach with my spiked waka. This is why I continuously praise only a certain few nobles. While they are all enjoyable, Mahakea & Borongoru were the most capable of producing reliably enjoyable and potent effects without having to use extreme dosages.

Most importantly, during months of noble usage, I don't recall ever seeing blood droplets in the toilet the morning after.

Recently, out of convenience, I bought some of my old adulterated waka again. I drank a batch and by the end of the session, I was completely swept away. Despite the bloating and temporary nausea, when it kicked in full blast, it didn't disappoint. It was very enjoyable.
I woke up in the morning, and there it was...the first night back to the spiked waka...awesomely strong experience...and a few blood drops in the toilet. The entire next day, I was completely zapped. It now felt even worse than it did before. It is so clearly harsh now, compared to my time on noble. But maybe that's just because it was my first day back ? So I drank it again the next night, no blood this time, but the next day was equally as unlivable. I stopped for a couple days and then decided to try a half dose one night, it was pretty mild and there wasn't as much of an issue the following day. So that night, I decided to kick it up to 3/4 of my normal dose. More enjoyable effects were achieved, but here I am again...completely zapped today, with a twisted sloshing bloated gut all day long...and once again, there was a little bit of suspiciously colored urine drips in the toilet when I first woke up.

It seems pretty clear to me now that the tudei spiking in this waka, is likely the cause of my problems. There's still a chance this kava may be contaminated with something else or have mold or something that contributes...but I don't think I'll ever know for sure.
I also noticed that as it's effects seem to be even more harsh than they were before, the beverage also has a pinier scent. Which might suggest a higher ratio of tudei mixed into it now.
If this is what 25-50% tudei adulteration is like, I can't imagine how terrible 100% tudei would be.
Although, I have consumed PNG tudei from N@H and BKH and neither were this rough. But, I also didn't drink them long term.
I enjoy the potency and the full body buzz of this stuff, but really I can't wait to get back on the noble train.

:dead:
::shell::::kavaleaf::::fkb::::kavaleaf::::shell::
::couch::

Thanks for sharing shakas, this is an enlightening post, and just one more reason why I am glad to be a member of this fine forum where there is a pursuit by many to do their utmost to ensure folks are drinking the kava they think they are.

blindy107

Kava Lover
@Roaddog I don't think so. I believe he gets something that isn't really branded. Just a plastic bag of root that says "Fiji" on it. I have found similar in my hood as well. It's usually 18$ a lb and stinky as hell! I never had my local stuff tested I just stopped using it. Haha!

@shakas thanks for the read friend. I hope you get a chance to hit the doc for a little testing to be sure. Have you tried the 11 year from BKH? It hits pretty hard and I think you may enjoy it. You and I seem to have similar tastes in root.

Roaddog

Kava Who?
@Roaddog I don't think so. I believe he gets something that isn't really branded. Just a plastic bag of root that says "Fiji" on it. I have found similar in my hood as well. It's usually 18$ a lb and stinky as hell! I never had my local stuff tested I just stopped using it. Haha!

@shakas thanks for the read friend. I hope you get a chance to hit the doc for a little testing to be sure. Have you tried the 11 year from BKH? It hits pretty hard and I think you may enjoy it. You and I seem to have similar tastes in root.
I guess I have never actually, went in to an establishment, and purchased Kava. I hope to do so some day, but preferably on one of the Islands. But Ya, just wanting to make sure, cause I drink the shit, out of that Amazon crap. Its pretty good. I guess it seems to me, Kava can do anything at anytime. For instance. This evening I went with GHK, MAKEAHA. I did 5 tablespoons, when I usually do 7 or 8. I find I am more crunked tonight, than I usually am off the higher doses. Kava is just a funny root. Seems to do what it wants to. Also @shakas , I think I would go to the ER, about the peeing bloode. If it is also painfull, it may be a kidney stone. Anyway, love ya Blindy, Much Love Roadie....;)

sɥɐʞɐs

Review Maestro
Thanks for sharing shakas, this is an enlightening post, and just one more reason why I am glad to be a member of this fine forum where there is a pursuit by many to do their utmost to ensure folks are drinking the kava they think they are.
Indeed. I believe blood in the urine, being completely drained of life and robbed of an entire day, is more than enough to justify a high level scrutiny when it comes to the kava's available to us.

@Roaddog The kava in question is unbranded and just comes in a clear plastic bag. No pain with the blood, I'm unaware of it happening until I see it the next morning and it doesn't continue though out the day. I still intend on getting checked out though.

@blindy107 11 yr waka sounds right up my alley, by all accounts, and I intend on getting around to trying it one of these days. Being that it mysteriously fails the acetone test, despite otherwise proving noble, still has me cautious enough to not consider it for daily usage...for the time being.

Prince Philip

Duke of Edinborogu
@shakas, we've been thinking about the a****ne test. What we might have here is a sign of aging, rather than adulteration. It looks like a run-of-the-micronizing-mill Fijian cultivar, but it is about twice the age (or more) of when kava is normally harvested.

While ativisms exist, (e.g. people born with tails), Dullos law states that evolution is a one-way street and once a trait is lost, it's lost. Whatever mutation from wild kava made it Noble, you can't get it back. It would be like finding huge seeds in one's grocery-store bananas or wolfish cunning in your yappy little dog. The key here would be to test other noble plants allowed to age to 11 years, as well as younger specimens of the mysterious cultivar I'm going to call Caiti Bumu

verticity

I'm interested in things
Interesting read. I suppose it's something all of us have to contend with and decide for ourselves: do the positive effects outweigh the negative enough to justify continued use? In my case: Turning into a lizard man--I can live with that. Wicked hangover -- maybe very occasionally. Blood in urine -- that would be in the "unacceptable" category.

blindy107

Kava Lover
@shakas Understood. It's interesting that it fails so handily. I also got my only case of dermo on a strictly 11 year diet. However it was pretty mild. I got no hangover or any of the other symptoms commonly associated with tudei.

@Roaddog it's a sneaky plant for sure. I feel like it's toying with me. There have been days where I'm krunk off half a Kalm and others where i drink almost two and feel next to nothing. I just wound up adding mahakea to the Kalm that day. Very odd indeed. I usually am good with my meals. I wonder if hydration has much to do with it. Or caffeine?

Prince Philip

Duke of Edinborogu
And I thought heroin-powered plutonium was bad. I mean, it would be bad if it wasn't just a joke, only funny because of how ridiculous it is.

CEMENT? What the hell is wrong with this planet.

The Ancestors Weep.

D

Deleted User01

The day after noble drinking was almost never lethargic and zombie-like.::couch::
So the human lab results are finally in, 'Blended Kava' is bad for you. This coming from a guy who has been drinking kava for a while and is known for having a pretty strong constitution. (Give it to Shakas, he'll drink anything.) Nice story and very educational. The word "blood" should be a deal killer for anyone thinking about taking about Tudei as a hobby. But damnit, now I'll be checking my Urine for the rest of my kava drinking days. :banghead:
::frosty:: Hey man, what's wrong with Zombie-like? That statement reeks of Zombie Discrimination. I'm contacting my local chapter of the National Association for the Advancement of Zombie Snowman. (NAAZS) It is pronounced "NAAZZZZZZZZZZ".

Doobie Doo

How many shells to get to the center..1 2 3
What I loved reading about this.. is that Shakas went back to the dangerous stuff... even knowing the dangers and coming out from it... I stand in awe of his hard core ness...