What's new

Powdered Kava Review Fu'u Kava

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I went to the post office today and picked up my parcel from BKH, Fu'u, Nambawan, Waka and Nangol Noble :) . I wasn't sure what to try first but as it was going to be a lunchtime session I thought I'd go for something heady and opted for the Fu'u.

The grind is fairly fine with a mixture of powder and small root pieces mixed in. I mixed up 2 tablespoons in the aluball using 2 balls and 1 cup of half milk, half water. I'm not sure about white kava, it looks very similar to a lot of other kavas, sort of tan colour. Creamy and lovely though.

I don't usually mind a strong tasting peppery Vanuatu kava but this is a Tongan?! The taste is really quite bitter. I've only just started trying out Tongan kavas and they are usually very light tasting but this has a very pronounced flavour. I could drink it no problem, maybe my first kava I ever tried being a Vanuatu helped, but I think a lot of people could be put off by the taste.

After the first shell I didn't feel very much for a while. I find that with kavas I have never tried before, they don't always do it for me straight away. I did feel very relaxed and as the hour wore on I got major sedation and had to have a lie down. I didn't actually sleep but it felt great to just lie there. For some reason running my fingers over my head felt really good and stretching and yawning were really pleasant. I found that the effects built slowly but I wasn't blown away after the first shell.

Skip to the second shell and it started to kick in. I waited an hour from the first shell to the second and went again. This time it took about 10 mins for a lovely light euphoria to kick in. I felt very calm and relaxed but at one point it started getting really strong. I thought I may have overdone it but the ever so slight uneasy feeling and very mild nausea subsided into a nice warm glow.

Bizarrely I didn't feel a great deal of body effects, maybe some light muscle relaxation and yet I still wanted to lie on the sofa and do not much else. I got pretty strong numbing of the mouth as well. This is definitely a strong kava. I wouldn't recommend this for daytime use unless in very small doses in which case what's the point? This is a nice early evening, weekend kava. With the sedation I seem to get from it I could probably just drink it all day and sleep all night.

Overall I recommend it, definitely worth a try. There are others that I get more euphoria from with a lighter taste but for overall effects I would say it's worth it. I'm looking forward to trying the others to get an idea of the differences between the four but so far I'm liking these kavas.

Last edited:

kilakila

Kava keeps me going.
Got my Fu'u yesterday. Judd recommended it as a anxiolytic kava without the jitters that some kavas give me. Well, that's definitely a true statement. Had a couple of shells this afternoon and the edginess and anxiety I was feeling this morning has definitely receded. It's not had much effect on the muscles - still tight, and tense and upper body aching, but then again I went to the Water Park with the grandkiddies and it was cold, so I was tensing up from that! This is a kava I can definitely drink in moderation in the daytime without crashing on the couch. I still feel alert and focused, although not much in the mood for any heavy work! And I want to stay at home rather than go food shopping. Hopefully I can scratch something together from the fridge for dinner.

I'll likely make up a stronger batch tomorrow (today it was 2tbsps to 8oz water in the Aluball). I may try 3 tbsps and see where that takes me!

All in all, a good kava that brings me just what I wanted - relief from constant anxiety (diagnosed GAD). Thanks for the rec, Judd @Bula Kava House.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Been for a bike ride today and wanted to try this again as it's Saturday night. I mixed up 8 tbsps. in 4 cups water/milk. I'm getting similar effects to the review which is pleasing that I wasn't talking rubbish ;-) . This is a really nice kava, highly recommended.