What's new

Fu'u

Dan

Kava Enthusiast
This variety seems to be a much-discussed favorite in the forums, but I'll kick off a bit of Fu'u talk here anyway.
It'd been about six months since my last batch of Fu'u when a fresh bag of the stuff arrived at the end of last week.  I'd tried several other of my preferred "light" kavas - mostly Vanuatus and other Tongans - in the intervening months but, with my first 2tbsp brew on Friday evening, I was reminded that NOTHING compares to Fu'u.   (Also am I imagining that Fu'u batches have gotten more potent in that time?)
First of all, it's the lightest and easiest-to-drink (a not-inconsiderable factor for me) kava I think I've ever tasted - and I've tried about 15 different root varieties at this point.  Second, and more to the point, it's just shockingly potent, with a light-but-pronounced euphoric head buzz (strong aural effects!) that gently tapers off with the passing hours.
A bit pricier than others but worth every penny.  Thanks to Judd & crew for this wonderful stuff.

kl.RounderIII

Kava Curious
If fu'u is a light kava i'm excited for the Boroguru and melo.
Fu'u is all i've had and i have to say it was a great introduction to the kava world

Dan

Kava Enthusiast
RounderIII said:
If fu'u is a light kava i'm excited for the Boroguru and melo.
Fu'u is all i've had and i have to say it was a great introduction to the kava world
Light in terms of taste, texture, color and effects (kavain-related headiness rather than DHM-related body-ness).  Its potency is really a marvel, though.

kl.RounderIII

Kava Curious
Hmm...well then I'm definitely not excited for heavier tasting kava's. I thought it tasted awful! I guess i'm one of the people who absolutely hate how kava tastes.
But I can't be too picky. Bad taste is worth the awesome effects of kava anyway.
I remember somebody saying recently that after the first 2 shells you won't care how it tastes, and thats true haha. The third shell I was feeling too good to care! (or maybe it was the numbing that lessened the severity of the taste...)

kl.Dukester

Kava Curious
I will give this one more chance, but it is just too light in texture and taste. Hopefully by that point my reverse tolerance will be a thing of the past, and I can finally experience the effects that everyone is raving about.

I am keeping my fingers crossed, because this is the kava I bought on recommendation of what to buy to introduce myself to the kava world.

krunkedout

Kava Lover
I had a bag of this awhile back, and it was a good kava, it's just.. Too light for me. I'm more of a DHM kind of guy , I like kavas that hit hard if ya know what I mean. But still this is a good kava to have around to make for friends that are a wee bit nervous about the taste. The head effects are definitely nice, good amount of euphoria, it's an all around good mood kava, but it didn't give me that stand up and feel dizzy effect that I get from kavas that have more DHM

kl.Dubkava

Kava Curious
I'm not a huge fan of Fu'u I must admit. I find the heady effect almost dizzying, and the mood lift is fairly short lived. Mixed with Boroguru it is fantastic though. They complement each other very well.

kl.NDG

Kava Enthusiast
FU'U is really good. Some kavas give me a depressed mood, this is one of the few that elevate quite nicely. A very very nice kava, one of my favorites. Love the fine grind to, really increases the strength while lowering prep time.

kl.Flank

Kava Curious
this was my first time trying Kava I got the Fu'u and I feel amazing... perhaps like I overdid it... I did not expect this much of an effect.  To all you more experienced how long does this typically last?

mos3z

Kava Enthusiast
it all depends on how much you drank, how much food was in your stomach and how that strain effects you. With Fu'u I think i normally hits me hard for 2-4 hours then mellow for a few more after that. Some of the other kavas can stay with you much longer. The Tudei can last two days, although with me it is very mild if anything on the second day.

I think chiefs jungle has lasted the longest with me, it was like 13 hours of very strong reaction.

mos3z

Kava Enthusiast
Chiefs jungle is from Nakamal at Home, there are several companies that sell Tudei, which is also called ISA. Some popular ISA's are from Paradise Kava and Kava by Rex.

But I would try other kavas first, ISA's can be too strong for some people and give a bad reaction. After Fu'u I would recommend Stone from Nakamal at Home or for a stronger body kava try Boroguru from Bula Kava House. Stone is one of the strongest and most popular kavas out there.

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
Flank,

I'm glad you like the Fu'u, it really is a fantastic kava.

There are actually multiple strains of kava that are sometimes called Tudei, which is a pidgin word for "two day" which means what it sounds like it means (lasts for two days). Many people feel that these kavas are too heavy. They are very rarely drank and not preferred by kava drinking cultures. They are typically high in the kavalactone DHM. They may or may not upset your stomach and for me, the second day mostly just feels like I'm dragging around tired. Isa is one of the kava varieties that some people would refer to as tudei. It was originally grown in Papua New Guinea, but was brought to Hawaii where it is grown as well. The PNG stuff seems stronger.

I am a proponent of kava drinkers trying lots of kavas (even if we don't carry them, like tudei), so please do. Know though that if you want a kava that acts something like a tudei in the way it makes you feel without as much of the extended effects, Boroguru from our store, as mentioned by mos3z, is a great choice. If you want a kava that has somewhat similar effects as the Fu'u but kicked up a notch, try our Nambawan.

Enjoy!

kl.Flank

Kava Curious
I am not worried at all just happened faster then I thought... after about 5 times of drinking kava my skin is dry and flaky... the worst part is the skin on my penis is the same and it feels rough... anyone else have this happen?

krunkedout

Kava Lover
Flank said:
I am not worried at all just happened faster then I thought... after about 5 times of drinking kava my skin is dry and flaky... the worst part is the skin on my penis is the same and it feels rough... anyone else have this happen?
I had that happen but then I was like "aw hell naw!" and put some lotion on it and now it's just my arms and back mostly. I put lotion on those and my face and all is well.

kl.Flank

Kava Curious
Krunkedout said:
Flank wrote:I am not worried at all just happened faster then I thought... after about 5 times of drinking kava my skin is dry and flaky... the worst part is the skin on my penis is the same and it feels rough... anyone else have this happen?

I had that happen but then I was like "aw hell naw!" and put some lotion on it and now it's just my arms and back mostly. I put lotion on those and my face and all is well.
ROFL I guess I could have some fun while making my penis less scaley! :)