What's new

Getting a little concerned about reverse tolerance

Hyperion

Kava Enthusiast
So, I've been experimenting with kava for a couple of weeks and have made it through approx 1 lb. of the stuff. I started increasing dosages and last night I was up to 8 tbsp. Although I have briefly, fleetingly experienced some nice effects, euphoria and relaxation from kava, I've never had that last more than 10 minutes or so. I have been doing my homework also on methods and I think I have the kneading thing down. So the last 2 nights, I did 6 tbsp and 8 tbsp and experienced nothing at all. I mean, I feel it, but it's just not anything pleasant, just sort of a there fuzzy numb feeling.

So, am I going too slow to break through reverse tolerance? I'm only drinking 3 or 4 times a week, or am I just being too impatient? I don't want to give up. I need a substitute for alcohol which I want to totally give up except for very occasionally. Don't get me wrong, I don't expect kava to make me feel like drinking a 6 pack does, but some nice anti-stress/anti-anxiety effect is all I am looking for. :confused:

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
What do you do after you drink your kava, and before? It can make a huge difference.

Hyperion

Kava Enthusiast
What do you do after you drink your kava, and before? It can make a huge difference.
I typically just try to chill, since the only time I have had to prepare and drink it is in the evenings at home. Typically, wifey is watching TV and I'm at my computer reading the news, or something I'm interested in, listening to music, playing some video games, or just lounging out on my deck. But I try to make it a time of relaxation, sort of like I always have with beer. Only I want beer to go away for the most part, too many unpleasant side effects, like too many calories and too easy to over do it and feel like crap the next day.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Drink it daily for a week. I think the days between may be playing a part in your reverse tolerance breakthrough. When you do break through kava will open up and all that effort will be worth it 100%.

Steve T

Kava Enthusiast
Maybe you want to try a different type of kava? I've tried boroguru on its own a few times and for some reason it makes me edgy, so I take it with Melo Melo. Boroguru helps me 0% with anxiety, though it works for many of the veterans here.

KAVATOM

Kava Curious
Definitely drink it on an empty stomach also. I get great effect when I do so but as soon as I eat afterwards it fades considerably and if I've eaten recently before I drink the effects are minimal.

Hyperion

Kava Enthusiast
Drink it daily for a week. I think the days between may be playing a part in your reverse tolerance breakthrough. When you do break through kava will open up and all that effort will be worth it 100%.
Thanks, Kapmcrunk. I'm going to give that a go.

Hyperion

Kava Enthusiast
Maybe you want to try a different type of kava? I've tried boroguru on its own a few times and for some reason it makes me edgy, so I take it with Melo Melo. Boroguru helps me 0% with anxiety, though it works for many of the veterans here.
I've been trying Vanuatu and Boroguru, and mixing the 2. I was definitely thinking about trying something different next. As soon as I can figure out what is different...

Hyperion

Kava Enthusiast
Definitely drink it on an empty stomach also. I get great effect when I do so but as soon as I eat afterwards it fades considerably and if I've eaten recently before I drink the effects are minimal.
I've been doing that for the most part. Although last night, when I did 8 tbsp, I had to eat first because I was starved. The effect wasn't really any different from the 6 tbsp on an empty stomach the night before. I might just be a particularly stubborn case for kava reverse tolerance, not sure.

BULABUCK

ROOTLYFE.
By empty we mean empty like no food for 4 hrs or more:D. It will happen, and when it does, there is no denying it or guess work. Good luck and bula:hilarious:

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
I definitely went through more than 1 lb before I got consistent effects from kava. Keep after it!

Hyperion

Kava Enthusiast
Most of us on this forum look like underwear models in real life, because we're so ripped from NOT EATING for four hours or more in order to experience the kava. Have you tried it? It works
True story.
Yeah, pretty much every time. It's typically around 5pm when I get home from work and I eat lunch at 11:30. So when I make up a batch of kava, it's typically after several hours of not eating.

I stayed home and took the day off work today, and I just made up a batch with 4 tbsp. It's been about 3 hours since I ate anything. I feel a little bit of a pleasant relaxation from this batch. But it's very mild and typically when I get this, it goes away very quickly, like 10 minutes or so. I'm going to make another one with 4 tbsp and see how that goes. I think I am really getting a feel for the kneading method. I do a 2nd kneading each time, but I think I am getting most of it on the first try. After the 2nd it feels like I only have some dry clay like sand left.

The other thing I have noticed is that at first, I experienced some problems with nausea, even after only 2 tbsp, but now I seem to be over that. I'm not becoming fond of the taste at all, but a chaser makes that a non issue.

I'm going to need to order more before I run out, so I am trying to decide on something, but I'm having a hard time deciding what would be good. Anyone have any good suggestion for something that might break through reverse tolerance quickly? No tudei though, from what I have read, I don't need that. My work takes a lot of mental focus so I can't afford to feel foggy the next day, as alcohol has done to me too many times.

Roaddog

Kava Who?
Ya, I usually do 2 sessions, one in the morning, and one in the evening. Been getting a little rash from it though. I probably go through 12 tea spoons full, I need to cut back.

Hyperion

Kava Enthusiast
So last night I think I broke through the reverse tolerance a little. After 4 tbsp 2nd wash, I felt pretty nice and relaxed. After about 15 minutes of that, I decided to do another 4. I think I over did it a little because I started feeling sort of dizzy and nauseous and had to lie on the sofa for an hour or so. Then I was sleepy and just went to bed. So tonight, I will take it a little more slowly and see if I can have a good experience without over doing it.

I think it may be also that I am getting the feel for this kneading business, and getting patient with it. The stuff that I made last night and just now is thick and strong, really numbed my mouth pretty good. A lot different from when I was just putting it in my blender for 3 minutes and straining it.

Hyperion

Kava Enthusiast
Well, I have finally broken through this reverse tolerance thing a little more. 4 tbsp of Vanuatu3 blended, strained and kneaded, and blended again into into a frothy brew. Wow, I feel pretty good, nice, totally heady, but very nice. I can see why people struggle through the vile taste now. :joyful:

I wonder if the new method I just tried, had any effect?

KAVATOM

Kava Curious
Congratulations! Also, remember that kava can be fickle at times. I just finished off my first bag of Solomon Islands kava and the first few batches of it that I made up ripped my face off in a very pleasant way. However, the last two sessions I've had with it didn't do much for me at all even though my prep and other factors were the same as before. I guess like everything else, sometimes the stars line up just right and at other times they don't.

Hyperion

Kava Enthusiast
Congratulations! Also, remember that kava can be fickle at times. I just finished off my first bag of Solomon Islands kava and the first few batches of it that I made up ripped my face off in a very pleasant way. However, the last two sessions I've had with it didn't do much for me at all even though my prep and other factors were the same as before. I guess like everything else, sometimes the stars line up just right and at other times they don't.
Yeah, I hear you. I think it's that way with a lot of things. I mean sometimes I will drink a few beers, feel sort of like, meh, and just want to sleep. Other times the same makes me feel totally elated. Could just be a persons body chemistry and a host of other variables at any given time.

But I'll add a little now to last nights experience. I felt really good for about 2 hours, still a very heady happy type feeling, but again, very nice. Then I thought of doing another couple of tbsps, so I went through the same process again. By the time I had it prepared, the effect I was already feeling intensified and also transitioned into a little bit more of a body effect. I thought better and put what I had in the fridge and am enjoying that now, chasing with some Vernor's ginger ale, which is working nice.

The other thing is that before I woke up this morning, after sleeping too nice, still feeling pretty blissful before I fell asleep, I had the most intense dream that I have had in I really cannot remember how long. It was a nightmare, terrifying and it was crazy, I'm talking really crazy intense. When I woke up, I wasn't scared but I lay there for a few moments in total shock and awe at the intensity of that dream. I think I read here that kava can cause some intense dreams. Well, I am telling you, it's true!:jawdrop:

Jack

Kava Curious
By empty we mean empty like no food for 4 hrs or more:D. It will happen, and when it does, there is no denying it or guess work. Good luck and bula:hilarious:
i find even 1.5 too 2 hours fine after meal and all good but anything under the 1.5 hours it taks 45 minutes too just start feelin it

Jack

Kava Curious
but saying that when i eat first the effects laast allot longer
jah sticky green helps you learn the effects :D