What's new

Getting my first Kava

jeddar

Well, I have my first pack of Kava ordered.

After some debate as to which, I've ordered off Amazon the Kava.com powdered root.
Amazon product (this one to be precise)
Will be receiving it tomorrow. Hope I didn't blow my money on a crap one. I got only a small one to test this first time to see if it's a thing my wife and I will be able to enjoy, and then branch into the more expensive ones from there.

As far as preparation, likely will use a french press for this first time. Not exactly traditional, but I'm hoping it works.

Hope everyone is having a chill time this weekend. And for those who celebrate it, Happy Easter!

theGrogfather

Sipping on Waka juice. Laid back
As far as preparation, likely will use a french press for this first time. Not exactly traditional, but I'm hoping it works.
If you do this you will have to blend it first. Kava does not work like normal tea/coffee, simply steeping will not extract the good stuff. This is why traditional prep is recommended, 10 minutes of kneading the root hard in a straining bag will do the trick. Hope your first experience goes well.

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
Hi, welcome to the forums. I hope this kava works for you, this company is famous for kava that is not consistent in quality so you might get a good effect and you might not. If you do not please try one of the great vendors here on the kava forums. I know you will like it soooooo much better.
Aloha.

Chris

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Definitely not a french press (that still sounds like a naughty body building move to me ;-) , over here it's a cafetiere). Easiest way I have found is blend it for a minute or so then strain. Double up stockings would be good enough to start with.

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
Hey @jeddar. Welcome to the forums. I try not to publicly criticize other vendors, so you should probably just look at some independent reviews on this site and others. I will say there are some great kavas from certain vendors here. We have plenty and if you have any questions about ours, or kava in general, let me know.

As for prep, as others have mentioned, a french press isn't the best choice. It's not about what is and isn't traditional, it's about what works and what doesn't. You will be disappointed in the effects if you use a french press, and you won't get a feel for how kava really is meant to affect you. As @Buddhacide said, use a lady's (or men's. Whatever, it's 2017) stocking, and knead and squeeze away.

Last edited by a moderator:

jeddar

A hearty 'thank you' to everyone who helped me out with this! :)
Yes, the french press didn't work at all for straining. I finally wound up using a muslin bag that I've used before for holding the hops while homebrewing.

Used 3 tablespoons of the root powder to 20 oz of water (was making 2 servings worth). Gave a whirl in the blender with the water in one of the smoothie cups.. 1 minute going, a minute of rest, then another 1 minute spin, then placed in the fridge for about half an hour to chill. Strained and kneaded to work out the last of the fluids.

On drinking, effects were pretty well immediate with the numbing of the tongue and the back of the throat..
Still riding a wave of relaxation and chill. Felt in control the whole time and the effects were quite enjoyable for both the wife and I.

I will be looking into the stronger varieties and more research into providers once we have exhausted this bag.

Again, happy Easter to everyone! :)

jeddar

Okay, after a couple times to ensure. Wife and I both have a massive crash the next morning. Does this go away with time or is there a way to mitigate it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Okay, after a couple times to ensure. Wife and I both have a massive crash the next morning. Does this go away with time or is there a way to mitigate it?

If you're still consuming the Kava.com kava, that's probably your culprit.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
@jeddar
The next day effects can be particularly harsh with lower quality kavas. They tend to stick around far too long, and leave you feeling less than fit the next morning.

chandra

Kava Enthusiast
We all have our favorite vendors, but really any vendor on this forum will supply you with good quality kava. Good kava shouldn't give you any next day effects, at least not negative ones. I've woken up many times feeling better and more relaxed after drinking kava, not worse.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I have never had a hangover from kava or a next day crash or anything like that. I don't believe hangover-like symptoms are supposed to be part of a kava experience, it would indicate something is wrong somewhere. No?

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
I have never had a hangover from kava or a next day crash or anything like that. I don't believe hangover-like symptoms are supposed to be part of a kava experience, it would indicate something is wrong somewhere. No?
You are correct, it is not normal and is most likely due to the kava they used. I bet if they try a kava from one of the vendors here on the forums then they would see and feel the difference. There is a problem with what they call tudei kava and they mix it with other kava. The tudei kava is named that because of the unwanted effects the next day.. I hope this helps and please let me know if you have any questions about this.
Aloha.

Chris

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner

It's possible that the kava is tudei or part tudei, though some people have reported some hangover like symptoms from noble kava as well, especially strong noble kava combined with heavy use. Even if you're drinking a good kava, we all have different body chemistry and different kavas will have varying effects depending on the drinker. I suggest a noble kava from one of the vendors on this site. If you tell us what you're hoping to get out of kava, i.e. muscular relaxation, anxiety relief, insomnia relief, to get wasted out of your gourde, etc., we can give you some recommendations.