What's new

Has anyone here tried Rahmedel?

Palmetto

Thank God!
I've heard great things about Rahmedel, but I don't know where to get it from. If you've tried it, what are the effects like, and where did you get it from? I've only seen one supplier online, and he only sells bulk wholesale. I know it's available in Hawaii, but still rare.

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
I've heard great things about Rahmedel, but I don't know where to get it from. If you've tried it, what are the effects like, and where did you get it from? I've only seen one supplier online, and he only sells bulk wholesale. I know it's available in Hawaii, but still rare.
If I were to try and describe Rahmedel the best --one word-- would be "Magic", at least the fresh grind. If you order be sure and ask for a photo of plant if possible. It is a great sakau morphology besides the effect! See page 60 of the Hawaiian 'Awa book on-line. Page 58 has a few good stories by the late Bill Raynor.

Palmetto

Thank God!
Thanks Ed. @Alia
I wonder if I may have to grow it myself to obtain a steady supply. A have several plants doing fine now, despite the cooler weather and putting them indoors a week ago just to be safe. Mahakea is one of my favorite cultivars, and Chris said it was similar, but better than Mahakea. So I'm guessing it's more balanced, but slightly leaning toward heady.?

Laduhlap

Myjadesa
Kava Vendor
The Rahmedel is available at https://myjadesa.com/products/sakau, direct from Pohnpei. The Rahmedel is more valuable as it is regarded as such by the Pohnpeians and due to its kavalactone properties and the fact that it is the preferred plant for use in important Pohnpeian traditional ceremonies. Because of these and the fact that availability is limited, it costs more than the Rahmwanger.

Last edited:

Laduhlap

Myjadesa
Kava Vendor
So far, our shipments of the frozen sakau to the U.S thru "cargo to cargo" have successfully reached the destinations on time (3 days). These are shipped out in wax boxes with either gel ice or ice block in plastic bags (to keep cool) inside. Contact us for more info.

Last edited:

Palmetto

Thank God!
But Peterson, are you selling rahmwanger or Rahmedel? I didn't get a response to my last email a few weeks back. I am hoping for Rahmedel. I could buy a few pounds of Rahmedel now that I have a better job.

kastom_lif

Kava Lover
From "Kava the Pacific Elixir":

On the island of Pohnpei, in the Federated States of Micronesia, where kava is known as sakau, two cultivars are recognized today:
1. Rahdmel: Smooth stems; light color; relatively long internodes.
2. Rahmwahnger: Darker colored stems with light green spots.

The appendix also has more detailed info on rahmwanger but not rahmedel.

Rahmwanger, chemotype 245613, chemotype group E, zymotype group 10, morphotype 3212202 (prostrate habit, dark green stem, uniform internodes, dark green leaves with raised edges, no pubescence, long and thin internodes*)

*Edit: although KtPE classifies rahmwanger as having long thin internodes (a 2 in the 7th position of the morphotype code), other sources say rahmwanger has short internodes.

Last edited:

Laduhlap

Myjadesa
Kava Vendor
But Peterson, are you selling rahmwanger or Rahmedel? I didn't get a response to my last email a few weeks back. I am hoping for Rahmedel. I could buy a few pounds of Rahmedel now that I have a better job.
I have the rahmwanger. The rahmedel is very rare and so most farmers prefer not to sell but I know a few farmers who will, at the right price. I don't remember seeing your email so please resend to [email protected].

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
I have the rahmwanger. The rahmedel is very rare and so most farmers prefer not to sell but I know a few farmers who will, at the right price. I don't remember seeing your email so please resend to [email protected].
Is the minimum freight cost from cargo-to-cargo still $150 USD?
I'm curious, why don't farmers grow just as much Rahmedel as they do Rahmwager, is it done deliberately to keep it 'rare' ?