What's new

Has anyone here tried Rahmedel?

Laduhlap

Myjadesa
Kava Vendor
Is the minimum freight cost from cargo-to-cargo still $150 USD?
I'm curious, why don't farmers grow just as much Rahmedel as they do Rahmwager, is it done deliberately to keep it 'rare' ?
Minimum cost depends on airport destination. Some local fees apply.
Rahmedel is regarded as the sakau drink for the Nahnmwarki (King). It is used in important traditional/cultural events.
Farmers report that rahmedel is harder to grow (the plants easily die out).
Another rare cultivar is MALAHD (mixture of rahmedel and rahmwanger).

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
Minimum cost depends on airport destination. Some local fees apply.
Rahmedel is regarded as the sakau drink for the Nahnmwarki (King). It is used in important traditional/cultural events.
Farmers report that rahmedel is harder to grow (the plants easily die out).
Another rare cultivar is MALAHD (mixture of rahmedel and rahmwanger).
I haven't heard of Malahd, do you know that plant well enough to describe it to us, does it have green/purple stems, short or long, spots/no spots ?
In your experience, can you describe the different effect drinking each of these kavas has, do they all feel about the same or does one usually feel stronger, or affect the body more than the others ? Thanks for any info! ::KavaChug::

Laduhlap

Myjadesa
Kava Vendor
I haven't heard of Malahd, do you know that plant well enough to describe it to us, does it have green/purple stems, short or long, spots/no spots ?
In your experience, can you describe the different effect drinking each of these kavas has, do they all feel about the same or does one usually feel stronger, or affect the body more than the others ? Thanks for any info! ::KavaChug::
Malahd stems are the same as rahmedel and rahmwanger. Haven't the chance to try it tho.
The effect of rahmedel is stronger and it comes quicker than rahmwanger.

kastom_lif

Kava Lover
Found some info at http://www.comfsm.fm/~dleeling/ethnobotany/text/ethnobotany.html

Sakau traditions are fascinating! :) I'm gonna have to try some "micro"nized kava now for sure.

Three varieties of Piper methysticum are on Pohnpei, the rahmedel (rahmoadoal), rahmwanger, and malahd.

Malahd: Sakau me rahmwanger ah sakau rahmedel osada loale. Sakau pwoatet kin mwadang sansarasang. Rough translation: when rahmedel and rahmwanger grow together the sakau is referred to malahd and these should be pulled up quickly.

Rahmedel (rahmoadoal): smooth stems, light color, long internodes. Other names for rahmedel: kohre and kalaidong.

Rahmwanger: darker stems, spots on stem (not smooth), short internodes. Other names for rahmwanger: kohkore and nahniepw (nahnioapw).

Last edited:

Palmetto

Thank God!
Peterson @Laduhlap
I was told by an expert Hawaiian kava farmer that the plants can be grafted, with the root being grafted onto a stalk. It was done with a single cultivar, but since they are all the same species, it is reasonable to believe that rahmwanger stems can be grafted onto rahmedel roots. Then the problem of the plants dying back might be avoided and the yield improved. I had hoped to try it out this year, but I moved to a new job and location, so it will wait until next year.

Laduhlap

Myjadesa
Kava Vendor
Peterson @Laduhlap
I was told by an expert Hawaiian kava farmer that the plants can be grafted, with the root being grafted onto a stalk. It was done with a single cultivar, but since they are all the same species, it is reasonable to believe that rahmwanger stems can be grafted onto rahmedel roots. Then the problem of the plants dying back might be avoided and the yield improved. I had hoped to try it out this year, but I moved to a new job and location, so it will wait until next year.
Thank you very much Palmetto for the info. Appreciate it big time!

John Bytell

Kava Enthusiast
The Rahmedel is available at https://myjadesa.com/products/sakau, direct from Pohnpei. The Rahmedel is more valuable as it is regarded as such by the Pohnpeians and due to its kavalactone properties and the fact that it is the preferred plant for use in important Pohnpeian traditional ceremonies. Because of these and the fact that availability is limited, it costs more than the Rahmwanger.
When will you have more Rahmedel? I'd love to have some!

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I'm quite happy with the Rahmwanger. The look and feel and smell of the grind is particularly delightful. Makes an ugly gray green weak looking grog that has an odd sort of grainy feel on the tongue but do NOT be deceived by any of those irrelevant factors, it tastes just great. Feels nicely heady. Mild, but very very pleasant and very easy to drink. This would be great for newbies.

Laduhlap

Myjadesa
Kava Vendor
I'm quite happy with the Rahmwanger. The look and feel and smell of the grind is particularly delightful. Makes an ugly gray green weak looking grog that has an odd sort of grainy feel on the tongue but do NOT be deceived by any of those irrelevant factors, it tastes just great. Feels nicely heady. Mild, but very very pleasant and very easy to drink. This would be great for newbies.
Thank you sincerely Krunkie for the review. Not sure where the gray green look came from as it's usually muddy yummy looking. The rahmedel and rahmwanger are best served when mixed with the hibiscus slime. When the sakau juice and the hibiscus slime are well mixed together, a chemical reaction is formed, which enhances and prolongs the effect. Hope we all get to try this unique Pohnpei style method (esp. on the rock style). Many many thanks!

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Ah, so that's what on the rock means. I love the logo for the Sakau bar, btw. Hope I'll get to visit some day.

I really do enjoy that Rahmwanger and am drinking some tonight, as a matter of fact.

Laduhlap

Myjadesa
Kava Vendor
Ah, so that's what on the rock means. I love the logo for the Sakau bar, btw. Hope I'll get to visit some day.

I really do enjoy that Rahmwanger and am drinking some tonight, as a matter of fact.
Thanks again! I also hope you do visit some day. My Bali friends usually visit and stay for a week mainly to enjoy the "on the rock" sakau.
Enjoy your rahmwanger tonight. As we say here at Roasdi Sakau Marked https://myjadesa.com/pages/roasdi-marked, "enjoy the journey"!
PohnTakai2.jpg