What's new

Has anyone tried just eating the powdered root without straining it out?

What if i took two tablespoons of root powder then stirred them into water and just drank it?

Woukd that work?
What about the kava pills? Is that basically just whole kava root inside a capsule?

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
What if i took two tablespoons of root powder then stirred them into water and just drank it?

Woukd that work?
It actually would, but at the expense of stomach comfort. All of those root fibers cause some distress in the digestive tract, so expect a good bit more nausea with that route.

What about the kava pills? Is that basically just whole kava root inside a capsule?
It can be. There are many variations of kava pills. You can find pills that are just capped up instant kava (you'd have to take a fist full before you'd notice anything), extract, or a somewhat mixture of the two. The extract pills we suggest staying away from all together. There's no way to ensure purity, origin, strain, or even what they extracted. Gaia Herbs Phytocaps are an acceptable kava if you're looking for real extract, but it gets expensive...really quickly, and becomes evident that doing it the old fashioned way is the most most effective in cost, and the best feeling way to consume it.

Also, welcome!

Dr.Krunk

Certified Quack
Also to add to what Kapm stated I've heard there can be quite a bit of dermopathy associated with toss n wash. I'm not positive on that myself but have heard that from others. It's rare but I sometimes get a bit nauseous even when doing traditional prep so I'd hate to try toss n wash! If you are looking for a simple way to prepare it take a look at the Aluball by Kavafied.

Kavashua

Mmmm Kava
Also keep in mind the potential for foreign objects like stones that could possibly be used in the mix. I have never had anything but root in my bags but I have had some chips big enough to do some damage going down

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur

Woukd that work?
Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

Some folks like it, though, I guess, but ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

I figure, why not forget everything else and just drink grog? Just plain old fashioned way it's been done for centuries and centuries. Seems to work pretty good. Why do people always have to mess with something that actually works really well already?

Buddhacide

Kava Enthusiast
I do it occasionally. I used to do it a lot, and the dermopathy was definitey way worse. I also sometimes get shortness of breath from kava, which is much worse if i toss and wash. That said, it does hit a lot stronger.

Kaptain Kava

Kava Curious
The nausea you would get from it would defeat the purpose of wanting to take the kava because you certainly won't be relaxed with stomach discomfort :p

I do it occasionally. I used to do it a lot, and the dermopathy was definitey way worse. I also sometimes get shortness of breath from kava, which is much worse if i toss and wash. That said, it does hit a lot stronger.
Why would you say that is? Are there bad chemicals in the root as well and thats why people use a bag to make sure the root is not eaten?

Is there a specific chemical know ro cause that issue?

Hill60

Kava Curious
Also keep in mind the potential for foreign objects like stones that could possibly be used in the mix. I have never had anything but root in my bags but I have had some chips big enough to do some damage going down
The rocks and soil come from pounding it, here I am pounding kava on the day I flew home...

...you have to smash it pretty hard, small stones etc can bounce up from the surrounding ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buddhacide

Kava Enthusiast
Well Beefybeeve, what you are after in the root are the lactones generally, although i have read the root is high in glutathionone as well, which assists in preventing liver damage. I think with a traditional extraction you get just the right amount of everything you want. Tossing and washing can be fun, but it does eventually cause problems.