What's new

Hello there. I have anxiety.

Status
Not open for further replies.
:)

I have never used Kava before. What brought Kava to my attention is because my Liquid Lorazapam (dysphagia) is on long term back order, meaning it is not being manufactured again in the future to anyone's knowledge. I was looking for a very sedating/calming type of Kava, to prevent me from acting out on my anxiety or reacting extremely to my environment (noise, over-stimulus, trauma related reactions). I have Ehlers Danlos Syndrome (chronic pain), CPTSD and recently Autism Spectrum Disorder discovered as an adult. So there are times where having that Lorazapam prevents a lot of bad things . . .

I was just hoping that some kind people could point me in the direction of sedating types of Kava from trustworthy vendors. Is micronized a potent good choice? Thank you kindly for your time, I appreciate it. Take care.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin

I have never used Kava before. What brought Kava to my attention is because my Liquid Lorazapam (dysphagia) is on long term back order, meaning it is not being manufactured again in the future to anyone's knowledge. I was looking for a very sedating/calming type of Kava, to prevent me from acting out on my anxiety or reacting extremely to my environment (noise, over-stimulus, trauma related reactions). I have Ehlers Danlos Syndrome (chronic pain), CPTSD and recently Autism Spectrum Disorder discovered as an adult. So there are times where having that Lorazapam prevents a lot of bad things . . .

I was just hoping that some kind people could point me in the direction of sedating types of Kava from trustworthy vendors. Is micronized a potent good choice? Thank you kindly for your time, I appreciate it. Take care.
Hello and welcome to KF. Firstly, Micronized kava tends to wreak havoc in the stomach for many people, specially someone not used to drinking kava, I recommend medium grind to start and prepping is not that hard. If you have a strong stomach then it may not be a problem.

Moving on to sedating/heavy kavas; There are a lot of good choices, unfortunately many vendors are currently out of stock, however of the ones available at the moment, there are still many good choices. I can vouch for the kavas I've tried, I am sure others will offer suggestions based on their likes and experiences.

Perhaps my favorite heavy kava is Borongoru from Kalm With Kava.
Another wonderful choice is Kava Supreme (available on Amazon as well)
Gourmet Kadavu Waka from Kava Time
Papa Kea from Gourmet Hawaiian kava, I have had this kava before but not recently, Chris, the owner is the only kava farmer in the USA. His kavas are exceptionally good and has mentioned this batch being a heavy hitter.

Whichever you choose, it will be hard to go wrong. These links are for medium grind kavas not Micro. Good luck and keep us updated on your journey.

Thank you so much for your warm welcome and for all your valuable advice. I very much appreciate it. I do have a very weak stomach, thank you so much for the warning. Oh no, that is unfortunately news to hear about vendors running low on stock.

I am not having much luck.

The website that I really wanted to try was from Kalm with Kava, due to the good things I have seen about it. But I had already had problems with their website before I had made an account here. Their website will let me make an account, sign me out, and then the password that it sent my email will not work. Then if I make a new account, and hurry through to checkout, it shows no place to put in a payment method and it says something weird, "Your state doesn't allow for payment" and I can not proceed.

It is legal in the state of Indiana when I checked???

The gourmet Kava requires you to use paypal. I don't use that, I don't feel comfortable with it. :(

I'm having problems with Papa Kea's website because my password is never strong enough.

I ordered Kava Supreme through Amazon. It went through . . . I am holding off on the punch bowl and the kava cloth until it ships due to my horrid luck thus far.

Do you think that I could use a bandana and that it would work as well as the kava bag? Amazon product

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Thank you so much for your warm welcome and for all your valuable advice. I very much appreciate it. I do have a very weak stomach, thank you so much for the warning. Oh no, that is unfortunately news to hear about vendors running low on stock.

I am not having much luck.

The website that I really wanted to try was from Kalm with Kava, due to the good things I have seen about it. But I had already had problems with their website before I had made an account here. Their website will let me make an account, sign me out, and then the password that it sent my email will not work. Then if I make a new account, and hurry through to checkout, it shows no place to put in a payment method and it says something weird, "Your state doesn't allow for payment" and I can not proceed.
Sorry to hear about the problems, if you send a support ticket to them here, they should be able to help you with logging in.

It is legal in the state of Indiana when I checked???
Yes, kava is legal in all 50 states.
The gourmet Kava requires you to use paypal. I don't use that, I don't feel comfortable with it. :(
You don't need a PayPal account to checkout, you can pay via a major CC just the same.
I'm having problems with Papa Kea's website because my password is never strong enough.
you can send a message directly to Chris and I'm sure he can square it away for you. Alternatively, you can send him a PM here, but it is my understanding that using the contact form on his website is faster.
I ordered Kava Supreme through Amazon. It went through . . . I am holding off on the punch bowl and the kava cloth until it ships due to my horrid luck thus far.

Do you think that I could use a bandana and that it would work as well as the kava bag? Amazon product
Kava Supreme is an excellent heavy kava. A bandana should be more than adequate, if you find too too much sediment is passing through it, try folding it. Try to not let the coarser root fiber get out of the bandana because that will also upset the stomach (similar to micro).

the_wilderness

Kava Enthusiast
*waves * hi from another EDS & PTSD person! Quite the cocktail for the nervous system, eh?

KwK is a great company to support you through the process. You can email them direct about which kava strains will suit your needs, they're very responsive and helpful.

As Krunky mentions, micro can present digestive issues (and dermo, over time), however don't rule it out as an option if medium grind doesn't work out, particularly as someone with a history of benzo use. Benzos change our brains, and may be one reason why I personally need a large dose of micro to get the same effects as others do with traditional prep. I fast for 4-6hrs before too, which makes all the difference for me.

If you are using medium grind, the blender method makes the strongest grog, although do try traditional prep because it's just a nice experience that brings you closer to the kava. Often I'll do two washes with trad prep and a few more using blender to make a huge batch

Look up reverse tolerance and be prepared for a little trial and error both in terms of effects, dose and strain. As someone who has been drinking kava for half a decade, reverse tolerance is all too real for me, and happens every time I switch strains. Well worth it - kava can be a lifesaver.

Best of luck!

Kava-noob

Kava Curious
Kisa's Kava is pretty cheap and people on here have said good things about it. I'm new to Kava myself and I've dealt with anxiety for a long time. I understand how stressful it can be sometimes.

I'm supposed to be getting the kava shipped today so I'll try it out soon and let you know about the effects and if it would be suitable to help with anxiety.

Welcome to the party

Kava-noob

Kava Curious
Hey so I tried the Kisa's kava 10 minutes ago and I'm definitely feeling a sense of calm and relaxation. I did 2 tbsps kneaded in 1 cup of water because it said 1 cup of water per serving. It's very nice and definitely helps with anxiety.

Nikki Collins

Kava Curious

I have never used Kava before. What brought Kava to my attention is because my Liquid Lorazapam (dysphagia) is on long term back order, meaning it is nBot being manufactured again in the future to anyone's knowledge. I was looking for a very sedating/calming type of Kava, to prevent me from acting out on my anxiety or reacting extremely to my environment (noise, over-stimulus, trauma related reactions). I have Ehlers Danlos Syndrome (chronic pain), CPTSD and recently Autism Spectrum Disorder discovered as an adult. So there are times where having that Lorazapam prevents a lot of bad things . . .

Hi there, @Secret_Twilight. I have anxiety, along with ADHD as well, and I feel Kava helps a lot with both. My first recommendation is to order the Aluball Blender cup and their $10 Aluball Kava to get your feet wet (if you haven't already). This will give you an easier transition into Kava. It was my first purchase, and is what made me want to try more. Also, when trying it for the first time I advise adding milk and/or homemade iced tea to help with the flavor. I needed help at first, but now I find I enjoy the taste more and more each day. Also, the numbing of your mouth is completely normal when you firs try, so don't let that deter you from keep going. Once you try the Aluball, and you need to by more Kava, I suggest a strainer bag and doing the kneading process next. After that, when you try again after this batch/package, then experiment with the blender method. That way you can find which way you prefer.

I love using the Aluball on busy days (weekdays for me) and kneading on the weekends. Also, there are so many videos out there, I highly recommend watching krnewman's videos. He is great to watch and has a lot of great input. He is also very active on the forum under Krunkie McKrunkface here on the forum and is very active.

Hope that wasn't too much information. Also (possibly from years of therapy) remember it's not all or nothing. Enjoy the experience!!!

Nikki Collins

Kava Curious
Hi there, @Secret_Twilight. I have anxiety, along with ADHD as well, and I feel Kava helps a lot with both. My first recommendation is to order the Aluball Blender cup and their $10 Aluball Kava to get your feet wet (if you haven't already). This will give you an easier transition into Kava. It was my first purchase, and is what made me want to try more. Also, when trying it for the first time I advise adding milk and/or homemade iced tea to help with the flavor. I needed help at first, but now I find I enjoy the taste more and more each day. Also, the numbing of your mouth is completely normal when you firs try, so don't let that deter you from keep going. Once you try the Aluball, and you need to by more Kava, I suggest a strainer bag and doing the kneading process next. After that, when you try again after this batch/package, then experiment with the blender method. That way you can find which way you prefer.

I love using the Aluball on busy days (weekdays for me) and kneading on the weekends. Also, there are so many videos out there, I highly recommend watching krnewman's videos. He is great to watch and has a lot of great input. He is also very active on the forum under Krunkie McKrunkface here on the forum and is very active.

Hope that wasn't too much information. Also (possibly from years of therapy) remember it's not all or nothing. Enjoy the experience!!!
BTW - I started with buying most of my stuff on Amazon and is a great jumping off point.

Status
Not open for further replies.