What's new

Kava Preparation Homemade Instant Kava - Construction

Vekta

Notorious Lightweight
Review Maestro
Any chance you'll shoot a little youtube video of it when it's all bolted together? Let's hear that baby purr!

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Absolutely. Unfortunately I took ill the moment I got off work on Friday. Which is typical of me. For some reason I'm always sick on holidays. This week though! Yes there will be a video. I'll link it once it's all together.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Alrighty. It's up and running. All I have to do now is lightly re-sand the plate (on account of the excess epoxy), clear out a place for it in our garage, and run a batch through it.

(flash video)

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Got it home. Cleaned off a spot in the garage, connected everything and I'm about to squeeze out a batch of stone which will be going directly to the instant machine. Will report back with pictures.

Vekta

Notorious Lightweight
Review Maestro
mmmm kava flake cereal...
gggggggggreat! (smiley: grin) (10 points if you get the corny reference)

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Deleted User: I'm using 1/2 cup of stone to 14 oz of water. Usually makes about 10-12 oz of liquid after squeezing

Krunkedout: I'm not exactly sure, but I'll weigh it and see. Also I'm going to invest in a mortar and pestle because it's still pretty coarse in that shot. It took about 5 hours total time, but since this is the first run it shouldn't be as tedious as the next. Now I know all that's required of me is to wait and it will do its thing.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
In terms of effect I couldn't tell you just yet. I really want to grind it down to the same consistency of comparable instants before I give it a go. I feel like the dissolving properties wouldn't be too good in its current state. I know it smells like instant, a bit more pungent, but it's got the potential!

Also it's really interesting to see just how many dissolved solids are in 1 batch of kava that I normally make. That bag represents one 12 oz cup of my everyday kava.

krunkedout

Kava Lover
Yeah grinding it into a powder would probably help, but even then it clumps together as all instants do. And your right about the dissolved solids! But I'm glad to see this inginuity up and running! Bula to you for having this great idea!

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder

Ground on it a little more today. What looks like black specs are actually shadows caused by the flash.