What's new

How do you knead kava?

Blinkyrocket

Kava Enthusiast
Sorry for the last obviously exaggerated post. So, a little backstory, I need to gain weight so I decided to eat a bunch of junk food (terrible idea). I had about a half of a large pizza daily. This amounts to 1800-2100 mg of sodium. As you know, Kava inhibits voltage-gated sodium channels. I woke up this morning pretty early and had a major panic attack, the kind that actually makes you wonder "Where the h*** is this coming from?". So then I found this study, naturally. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0006322398000535

So, how do you knead kava? I've realized that I don't really know whether or not I've been kneading the stuff correctly since I don't even know how you knead something without, say, a rolling pin. A video demonstration would be preferred.

Plus, I can't help but "preach" the horrors of sodium. Keep it in balance, I've experienced too little before and now I've experience too much, both are absolute nightmares.

Last edited:

Jerome

Kava Lover
Sorry for the last obviously exaggerated post. So, a little backstory, I need to gain weight so I decided to eat a bunch of junk food (terrible idea). I had about a half of a large pizza daily. This amounts to 1800-2100 mg of sodium. As you know, Kava inhibits voltage-gated sodium channels. I woke up this morning pretty early and had a major panic attack, the kind that actually makes you wonder "Where the h*** is this coming from?". So then I found this study, naturally. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0006322398000535

So, how do you knead kava? I've realized that I don't really know whether or not I've been kneading the stuff correctly since I don't even know how you knead something without, say, a rolling pin. A video demonstration would be preferred.

Plus, I can't help but "preach" the horrors of sodium. Keep it in balance, I've experienced too little before and now I've experience too much, both are absolute nightmares.
A half a pizza is also a tremendous amount of high glycecmic carbohydrates. Sugar, bread, soda, excessive highly processed carbohydrates in large quantities for an extended period of time would probably put me back in panic attack territory as well. Blood sugar spikes and crashes had a lot to do with my anxiety and restricting my carbohydrate intake helped considerably.

Blinkyrocket

Kava Enthusiast
A half a pizza is also a tremendous amount of high glycecmic carbohydrates. Sugar, bread, soda, excessive highly processed carbohydrates in large quantities for an extended period of time would probably put me back in panic attack territory as well. Blood sugar spikes and crashes had a lot to do with my anxiety and restricting my carbohydrate intake helped considerably.
This is true. I presume both combined for a cumulative effect.

Jerome

Kava Lover
I get it man... Pizza is awesome... I would love to eat a pizza as a bedtime snack every night! But potatoes would be a much better source for weight gain. Potatoes are full of potassium and other nutrients. Potassium would help with the hydration issue of kava. A massive bowl of steamed then smashed potatoes slathered in butter and cheese, maybe with bacon and steamed spinach on top, would be a much better weight gain snack.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
The protein shakes that bodybuilders use are normally packed with good nutrition and calories as well... easy to digest, etc. Find one you like and drink one or two of those a day. I like the ones from EAS, can't remember what it stands for but they make myoplex... the easiest to drink and digest.

As for kneading it's a case of soaking the root in your strainer, agitating the root to loosen the good stuff, then wringing as much of the liquid out as you can... repeat until your arm aches or 10 to 15 mins, whichever is sooner. I have to be honest and say I have never kneaded kava in a strainer bag... always blended or used micro or instant (or aluball) but I've seen it done plenty. @Kavafied has a good video on youtube.

Blinkyrocket

Kava Enthusiast
Lol... Oh gosh... This is absolutely crazy. It was actually the Phenibut that caused this... There was some confusion mixed in with the paranoia. Glad I'm through that ordeal, worst waste of my money so far. Stinkin' embarrassing :unsure:

Blinkyrocket

Kava Enthusiast
Don't feel bad. I think we've all done things far more embarassing than that but are kind enough to spare you the grisly details
Those Phenibut withdrawals are serious business, I learned a bit from them. For example, I learned that it's sometimes OK to strictly follow the dosage directions that are specified on the bottle... Which are something like only 2 days a week and only 2 grams a day max... I took it a tad bit farther than that. Mostly, I took it for 2 weeks without breaks in between.

Last edited:
N

Noname

Put kava Ina blender with water and strain it add milk to the blender to get more of the good stuff out.. You don't have to knead kava when using blend and strain method just squeeze stuff out and drink it

Reactions: Myk

Myk

Kava Enthusiast
Put kava Ina blender with water and strain it add milk to the blender to get more of the good stuff out.. You don't have to knead kava when using blend and strain method just squeeze stuff out and drink it
I would add that if you use a really fine ground kava like RealKava.com's Blue Label or the 5star you don't have to strain at all and can use much less kava powder and feel the same effect. I would recommend a bite of some chocolate or a spoon of ice cream or nut butter to pad the stomach if you try this. And if you are real sensitive to fiber maybe not the right method for you. If I'm not straining 1 heaping tablespoon will give me approximately the same effect as 1/3 cup kneaded for 2 washes.