What's new

How long can you safely store traditionally prepared kava in the fridge?

How long is it safe to store kava brew in the fridge without spoiling?

• 12 hours

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1 day

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • 2 days

Votes: 6 50.0%
  • 3 days

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • 4 days

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Longer than that

Votes: 3 25.0%

• Total voters

babesugarbunny

Kava Enthusiast
I've seen discussions about this before but I was not able to find anything with the search function or while looking at recent threads.
I'm curious about other experiences storing prepared kava in the fridge. Having some kava prepared in the fridge feels like a convenient way for me.

Will it get spoiled or lose potency if stored some days in the fridge? Does anyone have a bad or good experience to share regarding this?

kavamehameha

Magnum's 'awa drinking bird
Kava is perfectly fine 2 days later, although the taste may change a bit. Just make sure to stir it up before drinking, as the kavalactone-rich sediment settles at the bottom after a while.

Last edited:

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I find it does alter the taste if kava is left sitting on the sediment too long. I make mine fresh every time with an aluball or just what I need for the evening.

Edit: Sorry, I realise that doesn't actually answer your question of how safe it is to keep it for longer periods. If it's in the fridge you would probably be ok for 3 to 4 days as long as all your prep gear was good and clean. I can see there being a small issue of bacteria build up over time but for a few days I would think that would be ok.

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
Its probably safe healthwise for a few days, but for me the taste after 24 hours means I only make enough to drink right away (say 1.5liters at a time for an evening session).
I like the taste of freshy prepared kava, but after 24 hours it has a slightly acidic taste that hits the bottom of my stomach.

Artofkava

Jacksonville, FL
Kava Vendor
Made a gallon of the kadavu 3 days ago with 100g. Yesterday and today its still very potent. Ill update more as i go

Artofkava

Jacksonville, FL
Kava Vendor
I guess that's good for hydration and a mild buzz :ROFLMAO:?? 1 gallon to 100 grams would be too weak for me. I use nearly half of that with 600ml but then again moderation and I were never friends.
Yah it's light for sure. I usually make mine in the single serving 40g/16oz (about 4 tablespoons). It's never around long enough to test stuff out like this so i made a bunch. Also.....as a seller I cant consume all of my product haha. I feel like thats the number 1 rule ;)

Zaphod

Kava Lover
I've seen discussions about this before but I was not able to find anything with the search function or while looking at recent threads.
I'm curious about other experiences storing prepared kava in the fridge. Having some kava prepared in the fridge feels like a convenient way for me.

Will it get spoiled or lose potency if stored some days in the fridge? Does anyone have a bad or good experience to share regarding this?
I have gone 2 days, in the fridge, sealed in a mason jar with no ill effects to taste smell or effects. I probably wouldn't push it more than that. I also made it and put in the fridge right away and didn't let it sit out.

kavamehameha

Magnum's 'awa drinking bird
I have gone 2 days, in the fridge, sealed in a mason jar with no ill effects to taste smell or effects. I probably wouldn't push it more than that. I also made it and put in the fridge right away and didn't let it sit out.
Yes, that's an important point. Prepare fresh, then immediately store in the fridge in a well sealed jar or pitcher.

Last edited:

kavakarma

Kava Enthusiast
If it is sealed fresh in the fridge it will last 3 to 5 days at least and even 7 or 8 days however this is important - heat it up if it's been more than 3 days in the fridge to a hot steaming temperature and stir while heating - no microwave, use stovetop or grill. get it hot like the same temperature you want meat to be when killing bacteria. It tastes better hot too.

I am living proof that it is okay to drink 8 day old kava that was in a mason jar with tinfoil for a lid. And I heated it up and it was fantastic. Heating your kava to kill bacteria is the key to conserving those old brew ups in the fridge. For longer life freeze it. Stir while heating so that you don't burn the kava on the bottom, plus you want to drink it stirred too.

Artofkava, I am glad you are enjoying 100g in a gallon water, that is a way to fully taste the nuances and subtleties of the kava. Bulaaaa!

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
I keep mine overnight sometimes or throughout the day in the fridge, I would imagine it might hold up for 2 days, I never tried it.
Yeah my own feelings exactly. Like overnight minimum should be fine, next day likely if cooled soon enough after brewing in a cold fridge. Maybe towards the end of the second day it might begin to appeal to the senses less.

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
I reason also, if the kava is prepared initially, before refrigeration, with only room temp water, it may have more longevity(?).

Im sure I had kava brewed with very warm/hot water in fridge before, and by day 2 it smelled slightly unpleasant, day 3 max.

I could well be wrong though. Just what I think I have observed so far.

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
I guess that's good for hydration and a mild buzz :ROFLMAO:?? 1 gallon to 100 grams would be too weak for me. I use nearly half of that with 600ml but then again moderation and I were never friends.
In my blender preps lately, I have used about 42 grams root, filling up to the 1 litre line with hot water to rest before blending. It has been plenty thick enough, but palatable at this ratio.

I even felt the need to water it down the other night it was so thick. A glorious mix of Kava Depot Kadavu Waka, really heavy, dreamy, hypnotic....just very strong kava too, after 1 year and dozens of cultivars, as potent as any for me including my only Kavatime experience with the Gourmet Savusavu (I couldn't order to UK from KT, but it's even more of a speciality now that I saved my 2nd lucky pound of Savusavu unopenef for Christams)

And Pouni Ono 50/50 with the Depot Kadavu, which by itself makes me feel like a ballerina dancer lol! (pouni)

But 42 grams, 1 litre line, so less liquid effectively vs root. The sunflower lecithin emulsifies it in the blender. It is a pig to strain as a result, so thick and viscious, vs shaking in a sealed bag.

But wow, I forgot how potent, full bodied, and more enjoyable the effects are blended with lecithin. And possibly partly because of the emulsifying properties of the lecithin when blended after a hot water soak makes the grog naturally thicker but I am finding that this ratio is perfectly thick enough for me to drink without being slightly watery at 1L line to 42 grams powder.

@Krunʞy sorry mate, honestly not meaning to patronize, or say how you should suck eggs.

You have piles of real knowledge about kava which I fully respect.

Last edited:

Artofkava

Jacksonville, FL
Kava Vendor
4th day of drinking off the gallon I made. Made it around 3pm Sunday. I had 16oz at 6pm wednesday. No effect. 16 oz the first second and third days I felt an immediate effect. so the drop off was steep. No off odors or tastes. just no or very little effect. Original recipe was 100g in 1 gallon. I used our Kadavu, which is normally very potent.