What's new

How many of you use kava as a treatment for something?

Buddhacide

Kava Enthusiast
Hi everyone. I'm curious about something. How many of you have come to use kava as part of some sort of remedy for something, and how many people use it purely for recreation? I personally have an anxiety condition along with some pretty bad insomnia, mostly in the hotter months. I have noticed a lot of people on the forum have similar issues. I'm wondering what the ratio might be of people using kava as some sort of medication to those using for purely recreational reasons. Please share your thoughts on this. Thanks.

kl.CarolinaBC

Kava Enthusiast
I don't know if this counts but I have an addictive personality.  Kava keeps me from looking for something else.  I also have mild social anxiety but nothing worth getting a benzo scrip due to the previously mentioned addictive personality.  I don't drink alcohol due to that too.

Buddhacide

Kava Enthusiast
I hear you CarolinaBC. I have issues with addiction as well that are kept at bay by kava. I think anyway. I still have "self'medicating" tendencies but kava is my main focus these days. I think its a pretty common reason to seek it out.

I'm thinking that there is a probably a "type" of person that seeks out exotic drugs like kava. I am that sort of person, as well as many on the forum. I'm just wondering what we all have in common.

kl.NDG

Kava Enthusiast
I use it for my aspieness. I have social anxiety, OCD (pretty bad), ADHD (really bad) insomnia and depression. Life is looking good otherwise. They are not separate disorders but probably just being on the Autism spectrum.

It does not help with OCD, slightly with ADHD. But does with my social issues, sleep issues and general stress levels.

OCD requires actions kava really doesn't have, but removing other stressors keeps it in check as a huge trigger is stress for OCD.

kl.grudge

Kava Curious
All undiagnosed, but place check marks next to anxiety and depression for me (plus probably some excessive compulsion, but who's counting).

Prince Philip

Duke of Edinborogu
(flash video)

THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!

Yeah, I use it as treatment for PTSD.  Yeah, I survived similar torture.

I would be reminded of that torture EVERY DAY OF MY LIFE if I had to take some pill that some doctor gave me.  With kava, I am a recreational drug user, and I can safely forget this shit.

kl.stevev

Kava Curious
I'm have undiagnosed aspergers. I think (can't remember) I got 154 and 73ish on that online test, http://rdos.net/eng/Aspie-quiz.php. I use kava for fun and sleep. I'm pretty sure it's impossible for me to get the amount of sleep I need without kava or something similar. It's like I was born a contradiction. In order to feel well and happy I have to get 9-10hours of uninterrupted sleep. I can't even get 7 hours without waking up in the middle. One kava session can cover 2-4 nights of sleep. I also have an urge to selfmedicate, as it seems every other human does. I think it's possible everyone selfmedicates, and some of us are the smart ones for recognizing, understanding and taking control of the situation.

Prince Philip

Duke of Edinborogu
As much as I hate spreading "awareness," I suppose I should. There is not-rare-enough genetic condition called Lynch Syndrome, which Wikipedia will redirect to Hereditary nonpolyposis colorectal cancer, which I think is a stupid name to call something that's not cancer but rather a mutation in the genes responsible for cancer suppression.

Bottom line, I'm much more likely than a genetically typical individual to have ASSCANCER.

So, I do recognize that kava is a chemopreventative.

Like PTSD, I try not to think about it. I don't want to overemphasize the mind-body connection, because I don't want to imply that people with cancer have cancer because of their poor attitudes. However, we do tend to attract into our lives the things we focus on. Which is why I really stare hard for a full solid minute on every shell I drink... FOCUS on that kava! However, when I am between thinking "wow, that's way too much kava" and "oh, John Holy Frum, I really want MORE kava, because it's SO GOOD!" I remember my rectum and visualize the kavalactones finding and killing the asscancer cells.

If any of your parents or grandparents died of asscancer, or survived asscancer but contracted it at a young age, please consider having them and/or you tested for Lynch mutations.

kl.grudge

Kava Curious
Prince Philip said:
As much as I hate spreading "awareness," I suppose I should. There is not-rare-enough genetic condition called Lynch Syndrome, which Wikipedia will redirect to Hereditary nonpolyposis colorectal cancer, which I think is a stupid name to call something that's not cancer but rather a mutation in the genes responsible for cancer suppression.
I learned something new today - thanks for spreading the word.

mos3z

Kava Enthusiast
I use it for anxiety but also for a back injury instead of muscle relaxer and pain killer, i still find it incredible that it can be stronger than the prescription meds i have been taking the last 7 years.

Ozzyfan121

Pretentious, Wannabe Philosopher
I think NDG's right; we all share mental issues. My primary uses of kava are for treatment of ADD and social anxiety. When I entered the recovery circle, I stopped taking my adderall, benzos, and opiates (I'm not certain how I convinced a Doctor I had chronic back pain that warranted narcotics at age fifteen, but whatever)—Mate and Thai K@ helped the former, while kava and Bali K@ helped the latter. In my experience, there is no such thing as a model of perfect mental health who uses a mind altering substance, whether or not that substance is as benign as kava.

kl.NDG

Kava Enthusiast
ozzyfan121 said:
I think NDG's right; we all share mental issues. My primary uses of kava are for treatment of ADD and social anxiety. When I entered the recovery circle, I stopped taking my adderall, benzos, and opiates (I'm not certain how I convinced a Doctor I had chronic back pain that warranted narcotics at age fifteen, but whatever)—Mate and Thai K@ helped the former, while kava and Bali K@ helped the latter. In my experience, there is no such thing as a model of perfect mental health who uses a mind altering substance, whether or not that substance is as benign as kava.
why did you stop the amphetamines? I see nothing wrong with taking prescribed dosages for a genuine issue like ADHD. Just for the record, I'm no snob but ADD is no longer a title, ADHD is. ADHD can be an inattentive subtype, a hyperactive or a combined. Regardless if it's just inattention, there is always some component of pyschomotor malfunction, which makes sense since dopaminergic neurotransmission is in the shitter.
sorry, I deal with this daily, " so yo u are diagnosed with adhd?" , no "add", "well actually, adh... aww fuck it".
I have ADD(smiley: happy)(smiley: laugh) and I can't function without the amps, I so unmotivated, so mentally fatigued constantly.