What's new

How many of you use kava as a treatment for something?

Ozzyfan121

Pretentious, Wannabe Philosopher
Thanks for the information. I stopped taking the amphetamines because I'm not someone who can control his dosage, regardless of my good intentions; if it's in front of me, then I want it, and I usually find it well-nigh impossible to resist. But anyway, thanks again for the terminology update.

krunkedout

Kava Lover
I started out using kava (about a year ago) as a recreational thing. But I've found that kava has worked wonders on my chronic depression, insomnia, anxiety ect.. It also helps keep me from turning to anything else like pills or binge drinking. Truly has been a miracle plant for me

kl..

Kava Curious
Before we get too hard on ourselves and decide we're all nuts, I wonder how many people on any given forum might have the same issues? I feel comfortable talking about things here because you all are great, but I wouldn't be this open just any where. It may just be my circle of friends, but I'd say most people I know are self medicating something. I'm a little surprised that no one on here is using kava entirely for recreation, though.....

NDG - good to know about the OCD. I'm interested in how kava works and I don't know nearly as much about the chemical actions of OCD as I should, but truth is, as long as it works and it isn't harmful to me, I'm happy.

krunkedout

Kava Lover
I think that the fact that kava can be very recreational as well as a cure for many ailments is probably the most attractive thing about it. It lets me get that sort of escape from reality feeling whilst putting an end to all the other crap that seems to accompany a lot of people in everyday life. Life is either too real, or not real enough, and for me kava finds a perfect in between.

kl.NDG

Kava Enthusiast
Katiedid said:
Before we get too hard on ourselves and decide we're all nuts, I wonder how many people on any given forum might have the same issues? I feel comfortable talking about things here because you all are great, but I wouldn't be this open just any where. It may just be my circle of friends, but I'd say most people I know are self medicating something. I'm a little surprised that no one on here is using kava entirely for recreation, though.....

NDG - good to know about the OCD. I'm interested in how kava works and I don't know nearly as much about the chemical actions of OCD as I should, but truth is, as long as it works and it isn't harmful to me, I'm happy.
Ya it certainly won't exacerbate OCD. OCD is a tricky one, pharmacologically speaking high doses for extended periods of all meds is the norm and really only the serotonergic system is evidenced by the meds. However, research is catching up and glutamate is also key along with dopamine. I would suggest looking at curcumin, inositol and NAC if you are looking for more targeted natural approaches. glycine and milk thistle also have some data but not quite as strong.

uuku pi

Kava Enthusiast
Was a yoga teacher.  I thought I could never be hurt in the way I was.  Never knew what back pain could be.  I found kava by accident. It solves my social anxiety.  It has taken my pain away(I have read it targets the back).  It is also almost like a fun drug.  It makes me happy.  It makes me not so crazy. Getting hurt made me afraid.  Kava is slowly taking my fear away.

kl.grudge

Kava Curious
Uuku Pi said:
Was a yoga teacher.  I thought I could never be hurt in the way I was.  Never knew what back pain could be.  I found kava by accident. It solves my social anxiety.  It has taken my pain away(I have read it targets the back).  It is also almost like a fun drug.  It makes me happy.  It makes me not so crazy. Getting hurt made me afraid.  Kava is slowly taking my fear away.
I sit a lot for my work and not only does the kava help my back pain, it relaxes my muscles so I can stretch out the kinks much more easily - kava, the wonder drug.

Paradise Kava

Honolulu, HI
Kava Vendor
Back in the day, I was on the wagon ONLY because of kava. Lasted 6 years without a drop of firewater from Scotland.

Now, I mix and match. I use kava extract pretty much daily, adding kava beverage here and there.

You guys pretty much covered all the other reasons I use it. I DO love kava while watching movies, really helps me get into art film :)

Off late, I have been consciously consuming kava as a chemo preventative after experiencing the conviction of 2 respected Scientists: Chengguo xing and Greg Steiner (has a patent on kava as an anticraving agent and did quite a bit of kava caner research a while back).

I had the chance to have dinner with him recently and was amazed that he, along with Chengguo are staking everything on their research which overwhelmingly shows Kava's capacity to either regress of prevent cancer.

Also had the wonderful opportunity to have dinner with our friend the Kava Candy Man, Steve and his lovely Missus.

But that is another story :) More on that later, pictures forthcoming.