What's new

How much Kava do you keep on hand?

Dr.Krunk

Certified Quack
The title essentially explains itself, just curious. I personally have about 5 lbs myself. I like to have a bit of variety, while not having too much that I can't go through in a reasonable time span. I would probably keep more on hand but have heard that Kava can lose it's potency over time, can anybody attest to that?

Kavashua

Mmmm Kava
1/2 lb bag then I replace once I'm about 3/4 done with it. Since I'm experimenting with heavy kava right now I think I'm going to bump it up to 1 lb. that way I can have a 1/2 lb of heady and a 1/2 lb of heavy depending on the situation

Chillbert

Kava Curious
1/2 lb bag then I replace once I'm about 3/4 done with it. Since I'm experimenting with heavy kava right now I think I'm going to bump it up to 1 lb. that way I can have a 1/2 lb of heady and a 1/2 lb of heavy depending on the situation
I went the same route for the first few months of my kava life. I went to buying pounds instead as with half pounds it seemed about the time I got the hang of a new kava, I was at the end of the bag. Pounds give me a better runway.

As for the question, usually a pound, then reorder near the end of the bag. That being said, I'm early into a pound of GHK Kumakua (wonderful, btw) but recently celebrated a birthday. Thinking of adding another pound out of the GHK lineup as a present to myself. Perhaps the recently and unfairly maligned Hanakapi Ai...

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I go through a half pound a week so I like to have at least a couple of pounds on hand.

It used to be more until I figured out some of the intricacies and odd math of second and third washes.

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
I buy about 12lbs at a time as it works out cheaper overall with the freight to Asia. Freight is the killer for me - I drink about 1.5lbs per week so I only have to order every couple of months.
I tend to find a supplier that has good quality kava at a good price and stick with that, rather than ordering lots of smaller amounts from different suppliers - Kava Time has been great the last few orders.

Hill60

Kava Curious
IMG_0291.JPG
2kg, being in Australia, kava is extremely hard to come by, I have to rely on visitors bringing it to me.

A friend brought the 200g packet of beqa powder from Fiji, my wife brought 2kg from New Zealand.

I keep that jar in the freezer, next restock will be in October...

In Fiji my brother in law gets 25kg at a time, here's some getting pounded for $F1 a kg.

Last edited:

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Apparently not enough. I am down to 3-4 TBS and waiting anxiously for my GHK delivery today....I seem to always wait until the last minute to reorder. Just thinking out loud here but some vendors should think about an automatic order and shipment program with discounts...

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
I also live in Asia. Who are your suppliers? It seems most suppliers won't ship to me.
I used to buy from Fijian dealers in NZ, but the last 9 months have bought from Kava Time. They ship DHL from Fiji to Laos. Whereabouts are you? If you're nearby like Thailand-vietnam-cambodia we could do a big bulk order to save costs..

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I tend to keep a lot on hand because of the shipping time to the UK from most vendors and because I have been busy trying out kavas from a lot of different vendors over the last few years (some pics available somewhere, had quite a stash at one point). Now I've got a lot of that out of my system I will be just ordering the kavas I want. That by necessity has changed unfortunately as there are a few really good ones that were wiped out by the weather so won't be seeing them for a few years :-( . There are still some good alternatives though. I'm nearly out of Pentecost pride and seem to be struggling to get malekula magic... two of my favourites.

Kaptain Kava

Kava Curious
I go through kava pretty slow and normally do not drink every day. I have about 3 pounds on me now which is enough to last me a pretty long time. Some Tongan Family Reserve, Dua Na Bilo, and Awa Hanakapi 'AI.

I don't know

Kava Enthusiast
I like to keep multiple varieties and enough on hand to never worry about running out. I am a little bit of a lightweight. So, I have about 7-8 different half pound bags from GHK and KWK (favorite vendors). I also have a few bags/containers of micro for when I don't feel like mixing up the med grind or am in a rush.

mdmace

Kava Curious
Apparently not enough. I am down to 3-4 TBS and waiting anxiously for my GHK delivery today....I seem to always wait until the last minute to reorder. Just thinking out loud here but some vendors should think about an automatic order and shipment program with discounts...
A subscription service! Like the Kraze boxes or some of those coffee subscriptions! That's actually not a bad idea. A subscribe and save kind of thing like amazon. Brilliant!

KavaCat

Meow.
How much I keep on hand usually corresponds closely to how much kava I can afford to buy, versus how much kava I am consuming lately. The most I've had hanging around at any one time is probably around 3lbs. I have roughly 1.5 lbs of various things at the moment. If I won the lotto, you can bet I'd be keeping more in the range of 5-10, though. I'd love to have more variety, but also I wouldn't want it sitting too terribly long. I think any more than 10 lbs and something would get neglected for too long, and lose its potency.