What's new

How much kava is too much kava ?

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
A few questions- like is the Kava micronized, what cultivar? where from? Assume it is dry , not fresh frozen?

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
Well guys, purely for random example, and open sharing in tbe moment (all moments in my unusual life are crazy so please bear that in mind lol)...

Today early afternoon I started with a 15 g Aluball mix of GHK M'oi and WoW Kava.

Followed by 17 gram double wash ball of a lighter, uplifting Fijian Savusavu.

Those 2 double washed balls had a strong effect.

But then I blemded 40 grams of N@H Solomon Gold too, seeing as it was looking a long day. It really is golden colored that Solomon, beautifully so.

I finished it all but about 5 grams worth.

So 65 grams effectively. Is that too much? Tbe effect has been lovely.

Other days recently, 30 grams root powder, 2 Aluball double washes, has had me done for the day.

Last edited:

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
I’m new to Kava and bought my first batch.Can someone tell me the best way to consume it ?
Hi. I strongly recommend the dead simple, blender method, with sunflower lecithin added.

Sure you could do traditional prep. I have never done it myself because I have severe chronic fatigue and limited stamina so I just use the other very easy methods physically.

The blender is so effective and potent IME. Like I say above, I put 50 grams of Kava in empty blender, with a teaspoon of sunflower lecitin. I poured in 1.2 litres hot but touchable water. Stirred it up.

After my shower, I blended on high speed for 2.5 minutes, lower speed 2 mintes.

Immedialtely tipped into strainer bag into a bowl, and I squeezed ALL the liquid I could out of the strainer bag. The only hard part for myself, is the through straining of the liquid.

But much easier than traditional prep I'm sure, and no issue for a well, fit person.

Also, look up the Aluball. A great, easy, fun and quick alternative. It isn't as hard hitting I realise but still fantastic and so easy.

You can buy them in US from Kavafied.com or anywhere else Aluball.com .

Let us know please sometime what methods you adopt, what works etc...if you need specific advice just ask. I personally love to hear about everybody't unique journey.

And so many really smart guys here can give top advice. I am still wearing Learner Plates lol!

fueledbykava

Kava enthusiast
I've been measuring by volume, and at a 4:1 ratio of water to Kava, and have found that 1 cup of Kava seems to be the max that I can tolerate in a day. The flavor tends to build for me to the point that I can't tolerate more than that and it seems that every variety that I've tried gives me stomach pains and acid reflux to some degree (either more acid or relaxation of the esophageal sphincter, not sure which or if both). I usually brew half of a cup at a time but might move to making a cup at a time for convenience's sake.

Kavacus

Kava Enthusiast
Oh you will know when you’ve had too much-you will barf probably...but really, when I’m done I can feel it-heavy user that I am, I like getting krunked-so sometimes I’ll take it to the limit + one more step before I turn back and stop. Very similar to my alcohol consumption back in the day. It gets to a point where it is clearly time for me to stop, it doesn’t feel good anymore.
Also I am starting to dry out with dermopathy getting dry skin....it’s time to take a break for a while....
After this bag is consumed I’ll do it. No sense keeping a little bit and risk it getting stale!

Kavacus

Kava Enthusiast
A few questions- like is the Kava micronized, what cultivar? where from? Assume it is dry , not fresh frozen?
Avoid micronized, it’s a harsh way to take kava. Buy medium grind and prepare it in the traditional way by kneading and squeezing. Or instant from a good vendor is good as well...

M

mlenny

None of us can give you one single answer to that. I know it probably isn't the most helpful response, but that's something you have to learn for yourself. Unfortunately, none of us can do that for you.

Very best of luck,
Matthew

V

Viltor

Random Question - what is the typical starter dillution for kava? I did 2 tbsp for 20oz/ 600ml water and reading this, I am thinking that might be a bit light. Granted, easing into it might be the smart thing to do. That said, how does eating prior/not eating interact with it? Do people prefer drinking all at once, or sipping through out the day? (Personal experiences I mean, obviously it varies depending wildly on a host of variables... still gives me more information)

Skinskava

70-80 g to 1 Liter-Day Dreamer- My Roots Run Deep-
Random Question - what is the typical starter dillution for kava? I did 2 tbsp for 20oz/ 600ml water and reading this, I am thinking that might be a bit light. Granted, easing into it might be the smart thing to do. That said, how does eating prior/not eating interact with it? Do people prefer drinking all at once, or sipping through out the day? (Personal experiences I mean, obviously it varies depending wildly on a host of variables... still gives me more information)
I like to have 6-7 6-8 oz shells over a few hours spacing them out by 10-30 min. First two shells i drink back to back

PapaCthulu

Kava Lover
I have dropped 100 lbs in the past year. I can tell you that weight seems to make a light to moderate difference.

BTW: I go 16 tablespoons or roughly 80 grams of kava in 4 liquid cups of water a couple of times a week. I then use the same kava and do a weaker batch of 2 cups afterwards. I eat a small meal 30 minutes afterwards.

Skinskava

70-80 g to 1 Liter-Day Dreamer- My Roots Run Deep-
Congratz!!! That's no easy feat...I wonder if kava made any difference?
I think it definitely kills your hunger and there’s also the illusion of lost weight after a session because the water weight effect being a diuretic

PapaCthulu

Kava Lover
Congratz!!! That's no easy feat...I wonder if kava made any difference?
It has. To me, one of the greatest benefits of using kava is that it helps promote weight loss instead of weight gain unlike most substances. You drink alcohol and you get weight gain due to the high amount of energy in the beverage, and you want to eat carb heavy foods in order to sober up. You use THC and you get the munchies and become to lazy to make a nutritious meal and eat Ruffles, Cheetos and Little Debbie Cakes. When you drink kava, you really don't want to eat afterwards except for some light fruit and veggies.

The only downside that I see is that it leeches vitamins and minerals from your system. But that can be fixed by a cheap multivitamin that you can purchase a 30 day supply of at walmart for five or six bucks.

One other effect that I have noticed with my weight loss that I would report is that I used to have a problem getting the effects from heavy kavas, only experiencing major effects with Tongan and Fijian kavas (Fijian kava's seem to be my sweet spot, but I enjoy all kavas). Now the Kavas from Solomon and Vanuatu that I have had seem to be working much better.

I was (and still am) ultra fat however. I still have about 60 lbs. to go or so before I hit normal weight. I expect it to take another 6 months to finish my weight loss goal. So I have been taking notes, and when I hit my goal I plan on typing up a detailed post on my weight loss journey with kava as I have actually experimented and observed the results with and without it.

Last edited:

Pzk

Kava Enthusiast
But that can be fixed by a cheap multivitamin that you can purchase a 30 day supply of at walmart for five or six bucks.
I don't want to sound like a professor, but please not this garbage vitamins. Many vitamins are useless in the wrong form, ugly additives on the other hand and so on... some vitamins are even toxic (the wrong vitamin E f.e.).

Vuniwai

Whether it be undesirable side effects, such as nausea, hangover, etc, or negative long-term health effects, how much kava is too much kava ?
And it's a mulit-part question. Both on a daily basis, and on a long-term measurement, such as weekly, etc. (if there's a difference answer for each example)
Does your body basically tell you and give you signs when to quit, such as the feelings of nausea, etc ?
Or do you go by another measuring stick when determining when to "cut off" the kava ?
I usually start with what is recommended on the package and then experiment over time depending on the results. There are different thresholds and it is different for every kava. Adding or subtracting a tablespoon at a time will help you find the sweet spot. Everyone's body chemistry is different. I use different kava's for different purposes. But they all have different windows related to dosage. Some have "go to sleep" windows in an hour and others could be 2-3 hours later. Experimentation is the only way to know. So get down to it and experiment. If you want to be more accurate, use a food scale. I also recommend keeping some notes at first. Do some research on chemotypes and find out which ones you want to experience.
1706714851878.png

BourbonMac

I like herbs
Are those the 6 kavalactones, I assume? Do some cultivators only contain one usually? I thought I heard of that.

ANYWAY, I had my "too much kava" experience the other night. I took about 40g of micronized kava and I had split vision even worse than alcohol. Since micronized is 2x stronger than medium grind I'd basically taken 80g. Most people would've probably been nauseous or something. And then once I took a big dab I had kaleidoscopic split vision, it looked really cool. Kava always enhances THC a lot for me, personally, they both enhance each other really, likely because kava binds to some cannabinoid receptors?

Still no hangover exactly, I just felt really tired the next day but I did stay up way too late. Like I couldn't even look at kava last night I was so done with it. I'll probably do a little bit tonight but I'm not sure.

I strained all the micronized, I generally take 20g unstrained, it is more potent like this but not by a whole lot, and I usually start with like 12g and then maybe I'll take another 6g after I'm vibing. I get constipated very easily from unstrained micro though. If I regularly use Miralax it's no problem.