What's new

I got slapped for the first time

Kavashua

Mmmm Kava
I drink my kava on a daily basis, usually around lunchtime I'll make up a batch and have a few shells to get me through my work day. I'm a Fijian drinker and I think I need to stay that way.
I buy my kava on Amazon and I figured I would give Kavafied Kava Supreme a shot. At first it felt pretty standard, I felt good and my anxiety was gone. I stuck to my normal routine of a shell every 45 minutes to an hour, when it was quitting time I drank my last shell and that's when it slapped me. I got double vision and was real wobbly. After sitting in my chair at the office long enough for my vision to come back and to regain my balance the overwhelming tiredness came on.
I never seen it coming, I've got to be careful with this one. Nighttime use only for me. Great kava/wrong time to be drinking it

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
You can tell by the taste that's going to shut you down eventually... in a good way unless you're at work.

Buddhacide

Kava Enthusiast
Thats what i aim for, lol.
A few years ago i had a guest over. I gave her some nambawan and she went nuts - started knocking over furnature and fell down our basement stairs. Then she started trying to puke and scream. We ended up calling 911. She had broken her pubic bone. Horrible situation. But make no mistake, kava can be very strong.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Thats what i aim for, lol.
A few years ago i had a guest over. I gave her some nambawan and she went nuts - started knocking over furnature and fell down our basement stairs. Then she started trying to puke and scream. We ended up calling 911. She had broken her pubic bone. Horrible situation. But make no mistake, kava can be very strong.
That's a blast from the past. That's by far the worst kava situation I've ever seen posted. A close second being @Capitán Bastos french press disaster.

Jerome

Kava Lover
Wow that's intense! Many years ago we had a long night of kava drinking with friends. One friend got very very chatty and then went outside and puked. She was quite the kava lightweight! I have never heard of such a bad reaction to kava.

Buddhacide

Kava Enthusiast
Yes it was something. We all had to go to emergency and i had to talk about what she had taken to the police - who were cool about it. Now, i should note this person has alcohol issues as well where she gets like that.

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
Yes when it hits it can be very unpredictable.....especially with fresh kava. What you described doesnt happen to me much these days on the dry kava but when i lived in/visit Vanuatu drinking green every night it happens often...one minute you are gently relaxed, next minute it is full split double vision and byebye legs.
I guess the answer is that once you know a particular dry kava can do that to you, cut back the dose.

Kavashua

Mmmm Kava
i ended up using twice the amount of water and have been drinking it with no problems since then. I'm still being cautious though and taking longer breaks, sometimes I can feel that overwhelming feeling come on and I know it's break time.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
i ended up using twice the amount of water and have been drinking it with no problems since then. I'm still being cautious though and taking longer breaks, sometimes I can feel that overwhelming feeling come on and I know it's break time.
Good plan to spread it out more. I like to go strong and see how each shell hits before I consider the next. Once I left an hour and a half between shells because the second one hit me like a train.

August West

Kava Enthusiast
Two seperate occasions i had such a strong reaction, i wanted it to stop. Nambawan/borogu, and a boroguru the other time.
Luckily for kava, pushing the envelope seems to not be a pleasant experience. It sort of self regulates itself. Now i enjoy its subtle effects, or else i get the antsy feeling followed by nausea and dehydration.

Blue Roads

Kava Enthusiast
It hits me pretty good too, I'll do maybe 6 shells in a day, 2 in the morning and 2 in the afternoon, and 2 when I get home. The first time I did Kava Supreme I felt great. I kind of ended up with it because I got the aluball from them, and I've really enjoyed it.

Kavashua

Mmmm Kava
Fijian Loa will get me that way. That kava will also sing to me (nice ringing in the ears).
Odd how kava works, I can drink loa waka from morning till night with no issues and I'm sure some people can drink kava supreme with no issues. It's so dependent on individuals

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Two seperate occasions i had such a strong reaction, i wanted it to stop. Nambawan/borogu, and a boroguru the other time.
Luckily for kava, pushing the envelope seems to not be a pleasant experience. It sort of self regulates itself. Now i enjoy its subtle effects, or else i get the antsy feeling followed by nausea and dehydration.
That's the bit I seem to have got quite good at, judging how much I need to get me where I want to be. It doesn't always work of course. I tend to drink heavier kavas so overdoing it tends to put me to sleep but it can be nausea. I don't really go for subtle effects so it's an occupational hazard unfortunately but the vast majority of times I keep myself the right side of feeling good before it drifts into feeling bad.