What's new

I was hoping you guys could give some input on the amount of Kava I'm doing daily. I fear it's too much.

C

CuteTruck

Hi, all! First time poster here, and 8 month Kava user. I've been using Kava daily in the last 3 months. I use around 40-60grams of traditionally prepared Kava daily. I'm starting to worry that this is too much Kava. As it stands, I have no side effects. I don't even have dry skin or anything. My mental health is good, but I haven't gotten any bloods done for my physical health. Is this simply too much Kava? Should I worry about my health?

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Hi, all! First time poster here, and 8 month Kava user. I've been using Kava daily in the last 3 months. I use around 40-60grams of traditionally prepared Kava daily. I'm starting to worry that this is too much Kava. As it stands, I have no side effects. I don't even have dry skin or anything. My mental health is good, but I haven't gotten any bloods done for my physical health. Is this simply too much Kava? Should I worry about my health?
It's very natural to worry about how much kava you are drinking and whether it's having any negative effects. My advice is don't worry. You can go through the same stage as most people and have your liver levels checked regularly for a few years and then realise that in actual fact kava is doing nothing at all to your liver or you can just carry on drinking at the level you are and not worry about it. You might want to take the odd break if you do start getting substantial dermo but other than that you're good.

Krunked up Tong

Kava Enthusiast
You're good man. I drink 60 - 80g daily, but in my first couple of months when I properly got into it, I was having two sessions a day so sometimes going up to 160g a day. Was way too much, that's why I've cut back.

I needed it at the time though (I've kicked hard drugs, in recovery).

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
You're good man. I drink 60 - 80g daily, but in my first couple of months when I properly got into it, I was having two sessions a day so sometimes going up to 160g a day. Was way too much, that's why I've cut back.

I needed it at the time though (I've kicked hard drugs, in recovery).
I know that kava really helps me to stay away from alcohol most of the time which is only good for my well being but I find it absolutely fascinating that it can be used to help with stronger drugs. That can definitely be life changing for a lot of people.

Krunked up Tong

Kava Enthusiast
I know that kava really helps me to stay away from alcohol most of the time which is only good for my well being but I find it absolutely fascinating that it can be used to help with stronger drugs. That can definitely be life changing for a lot of people.
Oh, it's definitely been life changing. The thing is with me, I was forced to stop taking hard drugs due to psychosis issues, but I kept trying to stay sober, and eventually after 6 months or so, always slipped up. I just wanted SOMETHING to let me relax of an evening. I used to smoke weed but was forced to give that up due to a health complication, so when I did have to give it up, I felt like I'd lost a loved one, and that's why I turned to alcohol and harder drugs. Since getting into kava, I feel like I have that loved one back, it's unbelievable.

Last year I was homeless, now I have a flat, I'm moving to China next year for work, and I have Kava. I can't see another relapse happening whatsoever. I feel so happy and mentally strong right now it's incredible.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Oh, it's definitely been life changing. The thing is with me, I was forced to stop taking hard drugs due to psychosis issues, but I kept trying to stay sober, and eventually after 6 months or so, always slipped up. I just wanted SOMETHING to let me relax of an evening. I used to smoke weed but was forced to give that up due to a health complication, so when I did have to give it up, I felt like I'd lost a loved one, and that's why I turned to alcohol and harder drugs. Since getting into kava, I feel like I have that loved one back, it's unbelievable.

Last year I was homeless, now I have a flat, I'm moving to China next year for work, and I have Kava. I can't see another relapse happening whatsoever. I feel so happy and mentally strong right now it's incredible.
That's awesome, all the best to you!

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
Kava is very safe, when you drink the powdered root with water, it has a several thousand year track record of safe use. I have been drinking kava for many many years now, I drink every night about 6:30 (that is my 'awa time and when I love to create and play on my piano)
I use the instant 'awa that I make and I drink about 6-8 heaping teaspoons, not sure of the weight but it is more than the average kava drinker.
My point is that you are fine, if you do start to see dry skin just stop for a week or 2 and that works for me.
Aloha.

Chris

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
if you do start to see dry skin just stop for a week or 2 and that works for me.
"stop for a week or two" oh look at me Mr. Imnotakavaaddict ;)

I see people remark with actual surprise when they take a break and have no withdrawals or any cessation effects at all. Plus you'd think by now that my daily 40g would be completely obscured by my "tolerance" lol there again. I love this plant.