What's new

I'm afraid this Hiwa just doesn't mesh with my chemistry

KavaSmurf

Kava Curious
I am bummed, but I think there's just something that's not synching with my chemistry in this GHK Hiwa. Even at 1.5 shell (one shell, then another half 1.5 hours later), it just makes me feel generally edgy and off, and I'm in a hellacious mood in the mornings (anxious, and just a weird feeling of impending doom. Odd, I know.) Can anyone recommend a strain that might be better if this one makes you edgy? I've tried drinking it on maybe 4 occasions now in the past week and... just yuck every time. So sad!

D

Deleted User01

Hiwa is strong stuff. So if you feel edgy, let's say you don't want a "heady" kava. I have to say that I'm doing GHKs Hanakapi Ai' when I want to drown my sorrows. But Nene would be perfect if you want to take "Baby Steps" (and sleep like a baby). I'm sure the members can turn you on to some other vendors but I would start with something that is mildly sedating and work your way up or just stay put ....

KavaSmurf

Kava Curious
I will put the Hanakapi on the list to try next. I don't necessarily want to get knocked out (sedated), but I did sleep really well and wake in a good mood with the other no-name stuff I had. (Probably it was just so mild that it wasn't causing any really marked change in my psyche when I was awake.) Maybe as I get more advanced, I could do a mix where the Hiwa and a more sedating one would be just fine together, but, yeah... something about the Hiwa's just not working for me. And I know it from almost the instant I drink it, I look in the mirror and my forehead is pinched and I get a bit of a headache nearly instantly. Really weird stuff! But super interesting from a data collection standpoint. I should start taking notes so I can explain better as I continue to explore.

KavaSmurf

Kava Curious
The reviews on nene I just read have me a bit wary. I am definitely looking for an afternoon/evening kava. I will probably grab some just to try... lesson learned this time, stop buying by the pound until I know how I'm gonna react.
Related question: Best way to keep my kava "library"? Freezer? Just a dark cabinet?

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
The reviews on nene I just read have me a bit wary. I am definitely looking for an afternoon/evening kava. I will probably grab some just to try... lesson learned this time, stop buying by the pound until I know how I'm gonna react.
Related question: Best way to keep my kava "library"? Freezer? Just a dark cabinet?
I keep mine in airtight boxes once it's open. Out of light and away from heat.

Papa kea is another heavy kava from GHK that you might like for later on in the evening but for late afternoon, early evening without too much sedation then go for mahakea. Nene is very similar to hiwa in effects just not as strong. It will send you to sleep but not straight away. I could start drinking nene about 4 in the afternoon and still be up at 9 or 10 if I wanted to but I would sleep really well that night. Some heavy kavas are so sedating that if I started drinking too early I'd be struggling to stay awake.

If you are willing to branch out into some other vendors then try Borogu from just about anyone, all very similar. Borogus tend to be quite balanced but leaning towards heavy. One kava that I would particularly recommend that may be right up your street is vanuatu waka from realkava.com. I think it might be a Borogu itself actually although I find it a bit headier than most. It's the perfect afternoon kava. It is sedating in the long run but throughout your session you're getting euphoria and slight body relaxation. It's a lovely kava.

PepperyPyrone

I'll have the pyrones with some pepper, please.
Another one that I have found to be perfect for what you are looking for is the Fijian Vula Waka by KWK. When you start in the afternoon its mostly heady and slightly euphoric with rapid relaxing anxiolytic properties, but then as you drink more after dinner it becomes more sedative. Not knock you out like a strong sedative, but butt-lock you into the couch in a happy place until you decide to close your eyes and take a nap or just go to bed.

KavaSmurf

Kava Curious
Another one that I have found to be perfect for what you are looking for is the Fijian Vula Waka by KWK. When you start in the afternoon its mostly heady and slightly euphoric with rapid relaxing anxiolytic properties, but then as you drink more after dinner it becomes more sedative. Not knock you out like a strong sedative, but butt-lock you into the couch in a happy place until you decide to close your eyes and take a nap or just go to bed.
SOLD! That sounds like just what I'm looking for.

Latest in my experiments: Did 3 TBS of Awa Hanakapi'ai from GHK in about 2 cups of water, blender method with a splash of milk, strained last afternoon/evening over the course of about 5 hours. I had a long day (dad in ICU and we decided to move him home on hospice) and I'd had two coffees and a Rockstar and little but snacks to eat all day. I drank it on an empty stomach. Didn't notice much marked effects, but, as you can imagine, throwing kava on top of my day was like... oh, I don't know, an ant peeing in the ocean. Probably too much going on to tell, but no negatives and no depressive feelings this morning (despite the tumult in my life).

I also have a bag of Waka Grade Vanuatu from Real Kava here-- I forget who suggested I try that one, but it was someone here on the forum. I might give that a shot tonight, or might take a night off to get a 100% clean slate to judge it on its own merits.