What's new

Instant Daily?

Kavanah

Hi all -- wanted to solicit your opinions & experiences with instant (not micronized) for daily use. Cost and ritual of kneading/shaking aside, are there differences between daily use of instant and medium grind? More or less dermo? Lethargy? etc? Appreciate it!

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Hi all -- wanted to solicit your opinions & experiences with instant (not micronized) for daily use. Cost and ritual of kneading/shaking aside, are there differences between daily use of instant and medium grind? More or less dermo? Lethargy? etc? Appreciate it!
Welcome!

Cost aside, instant is usually better. Less dermo, less fiber, less chance of hold-over effects the next morning. Instant is the best, it's just the most expensive. If I were to win the lottery I would purchase nothing but kilos of instant. Until then I'll be kneading medium grind with the rest of the non-lottery-winners.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I have always maintained that if you keep the amount you use to a reasonable level then instant can be the same price as medium grind overall. The trouble is people start using instant, get less side effects and have a wonderful time and so mix up some more! I have gone through periods of using only instant and found it just fine.

Kavanah

Thanks! Really appreciate the insight.

That tracks with my relatively limited experience over the past 2 years. Haven't been able to find a downside to instant other than the cost. Don't know if I was hoping for one to save some money...unfortunately the nausea can be prohibitive with medium grind at times (regardless of vendor, prep style, stomach content, supplements...).

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Thanks Edward! Great point. One thing I've learned from kava is moderation!
One other thing to add is that if you find the right wholesaler they may be willing to sell you a kilo of instant at a very good price...

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
Thanks! Really appreciate the insight.

That tracks with my relatively limited experience over the past 2 years. Haven't been able to find a downside to instant other than the cost. Don't know if I was hoping for one to save some money...unfortunately the nausea can be prohibitive with medium grind at times (regardless of vendor, prep style, stomach content, supplements...).
Both Nakamal at home, and Kavasociety NZ offer instants for a decent cost, just to mention.

I use instants mainly as a spontaneous top up after a typical kava session.

Piperm

Kava Curious
Micronized seems to be much more potent on the onset and used to drink about 4tbsp through the day. I currently have a medium grind which effects seem to linger a bit more. I guess it could also be the kavalactone ratio/concentration. I am looking forward to getting more instant one day soon.

Kavaguy

Kava Enthusiast
Is instant kava the exact same thing as medium grind, but just without the water? Essentially, if you prepared a batch of medium grind, then put it in front of a heater, the powder left behind would be 100% instant kava?

Kavanah

Thanks to the resources here, I think I've tried most instants available. Definitely enjoyed nakamal at home, and found bhk to be especially smooth and potent. Micronized has too much baggage for me unfortunately and medium grind was good for a few months, until it wasn't...severe nausea regardless of prep method, stomach contents, vendor, etc. Odd, but instant has been a godsend! I suspect the process for making it is somewhat more complicated but I'll give it a try!

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Is instant kava the exact same thing as medium grind, but just without the water? Essentially, if you prepared a batch of medium grind, then put it in front of a heater, the powder left behind would be 100% instant kava?
At one point this was my understanding of instant kava, however after speaking with several vendors that actually produce it, it's far more complicated than I thought. Generally instants are fresh squeezed kavas that have been run through a desiccation process of some sort. I wish it were as easy as drying prepared medium grind kava.

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
At one point this was my understanding of instant kava, however after speaking with several vendors that actually produce it, it's far more complicated than I thought. Generally instants are fresh squeezed kavas that have been run through a desiccation process of some sort. I wish it were as easy as drying prepared medium grind kava.
Thanks for for sharing this perspective because I was wondering the exact same thing and picturing it in my mind the last few days.

I have noticed many times that I will have a very enjoyable and satisfactory how long kava session with a mixture of very high-quality varieties.

But when I add a little 5 gram top up of some high quality Instant- man it suddenly bloes my head through the roof, like I could swear it is somehow more potent.

So it is essentially a slightly different format of the product hence could actually have a higher potency or different effect profile.