What's new

Instant hangover?

C

ChoppyShores

If you don't already get a lot of sodium it could be a lack of sodium. I drink a lot of kava daily and double or even triple my sodium intake to keep up with kavas strong diuretic effect. I feel absolutely horrific if I don't make sure I'm getting enough sodium. I had no idea what was going on before I increased my sodium and what you describe sounds pretty similar. If I'm dehydrated and Don't have enough electrolytes the kava doesn't even give me any good feelings, just horrible hangover-like badness. Don't forget to make sure you get enough water as well if you do try to increase your sodium but not so much that you flush out all your electrolytes. Just try to pay attention to when you start to feel like it's all balanced. If that is the problem you should know pretty quickly after you increase your salt. Try eating some pickles or green olives during your sesh or drinking a Pedialyte maybe, I absolutely could not live without Pedialyte lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

MaritimeMan

Kava Curious
Thanks so much everyone. I'll try a kava with low DHK and DHM, and also try a heavier kava instead of a headier one.
And I was only taking one cup per night as I was pretty sure I had reverse tolerance, and wanted to push through it! :)

MaritimeMan

Kava Curious
If you don't already get a lot of sodium it could be a lack of sodium. I drink a lot of kava daily and double or even triple my sodium intake to keep up with kavas strong diuretic effect. I feel absolutely horrific if I don't make sure I'm getting enough sodium. I had no idea what was going on before I increased my sodium and what you describe sounds pretty similar. If I'm dehydrated and Don't have enough electrolytes the kava doesn't even give me any good feelings, just horrible hangover-like badness. Don't forget to make sure you get enough water as well if you do try to increase your sodium but not so much that you flush out all your electrolytes. Just try to pay attention to when you start to feel like it's all balanced. If that is the problem you should know pretty quickly after you increase your salt. Try eating some pickles or green olives during your sesh or drinking a Pedialyte maybe, I absolutely could not live without Pedialyte lol.
Thanks! I was drinking a LOT of water last time, but I didn't increase my sodium intake that much. I'll keep this in mind!

MaritimeMan

Kava Curious
Just wanted to update everyone on here - I took about a month off from kava, and then finally tried some Loa Waka last night, which had a chemotype that was recommended to me on here (DHK and DHM were in the last three digits). Made a batch with half a cup and some water and coconut milk. I had a MUCH better reaction. It wasn't super intense, nor had a ton of euphoria, but that's ok, it was very calming and very pleasant, just what I'm looking for.

As for the next day, there's still definitely a lingering effect hanging around after 15 hours or so, but unlike the last few times, this isn't unpleasant. It's what I think others refer to as a nice afterglow.

I'd call this a win.

Thanks again everyone for your help with this!

Orz[EST]

Kava Enthusiast
I've recently purchased (but not yet opened) some Loa Waka from Kalm with Kava. Would you happen to know if this is lighter on the spectrum before I open it?
Well, it has very pronounced heady effects and above average heavy but not pronounced sedative effects and causes temporary tinnitus without nausea on higher doses but someone else might disagree radically. Kavas are different for different people...