What's new

Is reverse tolerance real?

Is Reverse Tolerance real?

• Total voters

Odourman

Skål from Sweden!
My first time was mental. I ordered from NAH, stone, and made a big strong batch in the kitchen. I used a blender and pressed with strain. I recall that I didn't eat for at least 4+ hours before. Then I started drinking like it was muddy water in a desert after an apocalypse. I chugged that batch!
I did feel it. I was so dizzy I was on the floor and my eyes flew around in my head. It was sedating, heady and heavy but no anti anxiety. It sucked. This was a long time ago. Later on I started to use the root in a normal way.

I have stopped drinking kava for years at times and when I do start again I feel at once that kava feeling. I need quite a little amount of kava also. I'm sensetive it seems.

Aquafina

Kava Curious
Hello! I hope it’s real! I used Gaia capsules for 2 weeks and have been using medium grind for about 3. I’ve tried 3 different kinds, with an aluball and trad prep. I’ve been reading on this forum daily, and drinking several shells per day. Wakon Fijian, supreme, and one other I can’t remember and don’t have with me. And I’ve felt next to nothing. So I hope that it’s real and that one day soon I get what it is that you all love about Kava. Bula!

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Hello! I hope it’s real! I used Gaia capsules for 2 weeks and have been using medium grind for about 3. I’ve tried 3 different kinds, with an aluball and trad prep. I’ve been reading on this forum daily, and drinking several shells per day. Wakon Fijian, supreme, and one other I can’t remember and don’t have with me. And I’ve felt next to nothing. So I hope that it’s real and that one day soon I get what it is that you all love about Kava. Bula!
Hi and welcome :). How many tbs are using per batch, out of curiosity? It's possible you are making to week a batch. I took the Gaia caps for the first 9-10 as well.

Aquafina

Kava Curious
Thank you for your response and question! Because it leads me to another 2 questions I had, but was going to try to find in the forum before asking. So I’m putting 2 Tbsp in the aluball, then doing another wash with less water, then freezing the makas for trad prep. But I make several and drink them together. So:

1. When I’m drinking the weaker washes, I drink a lot more. Does that make a difference? I mean you’re supposed to be drinking a lot of water while you drink kava anyway, right?

2. Also, I’m having all the diuretic and dryness effects, so shouldn’t I be feeling it unless it’s RT?

Pauluk

Kava Enthusiast
Hi aquafina. Just to check are you saying you use 2tbsp in total? Regardless of how many washes with the aluball and water etc?
Then younfreeze the makas?

If that s the case, its almost exactly my amount and im a real lightweight. you might want to double that dose to 4 tbsp in total. Prep the first then the 2nd.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Thank you for your response and question! Because it leads me to another 2 questions I had, but was going to try to find in the forum before asking. So I’m putting 2 Tbsp in the aluball, then doing another wash with less water, then freezing the makas for trad prep. But I make several and drink them together. So:

1. When I’m drinking the weaker washes, I drink a lot more. Does that make a difference? I mean you’re supposed to be drinking a lot of water while you drink kava anyway, right?

2. Also, I’m having all the diuretic and dryness effects, so shouldn’t I be feeling it unless it’s RT?
I think Paul is right, looks like you are doing absolutely everything right except to make it stronger.

Aquafina

Kava Curious
Thank you Pail and Krunkie! No, I just meant I do 2 Tbsp at a time because it’s all that fits in the aluball. Then I prep more. To the proportions I read that Krunkie wrote in a post. It has a lot of the silky sediment, which I stir back up, so I think it’s strong enough, no? Plus, even if it wasn’t, does it really need to be as long as you drink enough of it? Like if it’s half as strong (for example) and you drink twice as much, isn’t that the same? And if you’re having diuretic and dryness effects, should that be a sign you’re drinking enough/strong enough?

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Thank you Pail and Krunkie! No, I just meant I do 2 Tbsp at a time because it’s all that fits in the aluball. Then I prep more. To the proportions I read that Krunkie wrote in a post. It has a lot of the silky sediment, which I stir back up, so I think it’s strong enough, no? Plus, even if it wasn’t, does it really need to be as long as you drink enough of it? Like if it’s half as strong (for example) and you drink twice as much, isn’t that the same? And if you’re having diuretic and dryness effects, should that be a sign you’re drinking enough/strong enough?
Of corse, you should drink water to counteract dehydrating effects of kava. Head it off at the pass, nip it in the bud.... But dosage effects with kava really are dependent, especially when starting out, on how empty your stomach is, how much kava you have and when, the prep including especially the water ratio, and of course, the variety of kava and how your individual receptors interact with the chemtype. I would add that mood is also a factor. This sounds impossibly complicated, but with practice it is not. As a kava sommelier I typically ask my wife "how do you feel and how do you want to feel." based on her answer I tailor a grog in strength and character to fit her needs, usually successfully. After a bit you get the hang of it. But it is dynamic, changing over time but even day to day.

lonnyzone

Kava Enthusiast
Throwing in my purely subjective experience here: I felt it the first time I drank Kava. And it was only like 8 ounces. Given it was strong enough to seriously numb my mouth. I haven't bothered reading any actual scientific literature on RT so I'm gonna avoid making an absolute claim there, but if it IS real, it's been insignificant enough for me to hardly get it if at all.

It's real, have a friend who has been trying to drink 11 year waka for a week and getting nothing.
Is he drinking it on an empty stomach? How's he preparing/consuming it?

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Throwing in my purely subjective experience here: I felt it the first time I drank Kava. And it was only like 8 ounces. Given it was strong enough to seriously numb my mouth. I haven't bothered reading any actual scientific literature on RT so I'm gonna avoid making an absolute claim there, but if it IS real, it's been insignificant enough for me to hardly get it if at all.

Yep, I would say bad prep/method is definitely real.

Happy G

Kava Curious
I'm curious to know everyone's thoughts on reverse tolerance. Is it real, or is it just that beginners don't know how to properly prepare kava or the proper dosage? Personally I didn't experience reverse tolerance. Does that mean that it's just a myth, or am I just lucky?
I voted maybe because I think it’s how your looking at it . Cause for me when I finally got good quality kava and prepared it right I had a strong full kava experiance , and I often take a month break from kava every three months and when I pick it back up I feel the effects the first time every time . But I think your body does build up kava in your system so when drinking it everyday or so you can feel it with less kava so that could be called reverse tolerance .

nickbroken

Kava Enthusiast

yes empty, toss and wash tablespoon at time.