What's new

Is this legislativel bill a threat to kava ?

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
That's the thing. I've searched and cannot find that which leads me to think that maybe this number is misconstrued. The large numbers I'm seeing are due to opioid overdose deaths, which I concede could easily be included in the standard overall "prescription deaths" but is a bit disingenuous. All I'm seeing are CDC opioid overdose death stats.

I'm curious about this because I've personally not heard that, and cannot find it stated outside of one individual researcher that does not cite any sources, so I have to assume they just made it up. Donald Light is the author.
I found an article, besides the ones mentioned above, which did divide the deaths into categories of drugs, such as opioids, benzos, antidepressants, epilepsy, and Parkinson's drugs.
That one was written in Medical News Today.
But I'm not sure if that fits the type of source you're looking for.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I found an article, besides the ones mentioned above, which did divide the deaths into categories of drugs, such as opioids, benzos, antidepressants, epilepsy, and Parkinson's drugs.
That one was written in Medical News Today.
But I'm not sure if that fits the type of source you're looking for.
I'm gonna keep looking :)

I believe you, and obviously this is a big issue. I'd just like to gather academic sources so if I want to I can go in and make a fact of the day related to it or something similar.

avahZ

YAHWEH Shalom
Phenibut may be one of those “supplements“ that may be targeted by this. To be honest, I have use it for over five years 500mg at night before bed. Severe insomnia… Out of curiosity, I stopped taking it for about two weaks to see how I would feel. I didn’t have any withdrawals; however, my sleep issues went back to crap immediately. This being said, when I had Covid back in 2019, I basically said bump it. I got up to 3000mg per night (for a few months) to force myself to sleep through it. It took me a few months to recover and get back to a new normal. That’s when I began to have withdrawals. It took me about half a year to get back to maintanance (500mg) level that doesn’t hook me. I have read horror stories about it. With all that being said, I hope it doesn’t get outlawed, but I would have no problems coming under a prescription if it was allowed - it can be way too dangerous for some…

oh and kava actually makes my insomnia worse. Unless it’s Friday night :), I treat it like caffeine- none after 5pm.
Ambien makes me umm odd :). I have tried em all and phenibut works best…

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Ambien makes me umm odd :)
My roommate in college took ambien. He ended up driving his mustang around campus side swiping every car parked on the side of the road, came back home and went to bed with ZERO memory until he woke up the next morning. Crazy stuff. We also had a legislator turn up at our capital in his boxer shorts only who couldn't remember how he got there due to ambien.

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
I'm gonna keep looking :)

I believe you, and obviously this is a big issue. I'd just like to gather academic sources so if I want to I can go in and make a fact of the day related to it or something similar.
I'd be curious to know of your findings

My roommate in college took ambien. He ended up driving his mustang around campus side swiping every car parked on the side of the road, came back home and went to bed with ZERO memory until he woke up the next morning. Crazy stuff. We also had a legislator turn up at our capital in his boxer shorts only who couldn't remember how he got there due to ambien.
If only they could take that memory-erasing aspect of Ambien, and selectively put it good use, and thereby could help something like PTSD.
Then again, just wishful thinking probably

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
Phenibut may be one of those “supplements“ that may be targeted by this. To be honest, I have use it for over five years 500mg at night before bed. Severe insomnia… Out of curiosity, I stopped taking it for about two weaks to see how I would feel. I didn’t have any withdrawals; however, my sleep issues went back to crap immediately. This being said, when I had Covid back in 2019, I basically said bump it. I got up to 3000mg per night (for a few months) to force myself to sleep through it. It took me a few months to recover and get back to a new normal. That’s when I began to have withdrawals. It took me about half a year to get back to maintanance (500mg) level that doesn’t hook me. I have read horror stories about it. With all that being said, I hope it doesn’t get outlawed, but I would have no problems coming under a prescription if it was allowed - it can be way too dangerous for some…

oh and kava actually makes my insomnia worse. Unless it’s Friday night :), I treat it like caffeine- none after 5pm.
Ambien makes me umm odd :). I have tried em all and phenibut works best…
I like Phen, and I just have one complaint against it. And I seem to be the only one who reacts this way. But it takes so very long to take effect for me.
It consistently takes 5 full hours, from the time I take it, to the fime I feel the effects, and that really complicates things for me.

Interestlingly, I never, ever had any issues with tolerance or addiction to it, whatsoever.
I could go long periods of taking it daily, then suddenly stop completely and stay stopped for a long time, and with no issues or problems with that, whatsoever.

Last edited:

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
This is an update on the latest action on the bill, from a lobbyist who is against it.

The U.S. Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions (HELP) Committee voted 13-9 to grant broad new regulatory authority to the FDA that will empower the FDA to significantly restrict marketing of dietary and herbal supplements currently on the market (S 4348). Some of the dietary supplement trade groups supported this legislation in a transparent ploy to eliminate competition in the dietary and herbal supplement marketplace.

The House passed version of what is known as the Prescription Drug User Fee Act (PDUFA) does not include the language on dietary and herbal supplements (HR 7667), and House Energy and Commerce Chairman Frank Pallone has stated his concerns about the sections of the bill that have not been subject to congressional hearings or public testimony. We will continue to lobby House members to strike or modify the Senate passed language that gives these new powers to the FDA.
Critics have stated this bill “is the most significant change in the Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act (DSHEA) since its passage, and grants broad new regulatory authorities that the FDA has proven it cannot fairly implement when it comes to herbal supplements."

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
@Kapmcrunk @Kavadrinking @kasa_balavu , another good example is Vitamin B17.
Banned by the fcla.
A Vitamin !
Their claim is because it had cyanide in it. (But so do apple seeds)
But interestingly, the ban came right after people had tremendous results in using it, even on serious conditions.
And a guy was sentenced to 25 years in prison for using it.

Last edited: