What's new

Just got my first shipment of GHK micro and instant, best way to prepare?

MikeB

I like Mo'i
So I just got my first ever shipment of Kava from GHK!! :D It contains three micro strains (Mo'i, Nene, Opihikao) and one instant (Nene). I'm about to break my "prepare your own kava" virginity :D

I don't want to deal with preparing anything exotic and just want to try the simplest possible prep to see the effects. So right now I basically I have four questions:
- How much micro should I use for one "dose" of kava?
- How much instant should I use for one "dose" of kava?
- For micro, if I just put it in water ("toss n wash?"), is that OK? Or should I strain it first?
- For instant, if I just put it in water ("toss n wash?"), is that OK? Or should I strain it first?

You may see a pattern in these questions... :D

Also, since I have like three micros and one instant, I want to come up with a methodical way of comparing the effects for each. Does anyone have a good approach? Should I spend like a few days with one strain, review it, and then move onto the next? A "kava schedule" would be much appreciated here :)

Thank you again to Chris for really having this together!

Cheers,
Mike

Last edited:

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
I recommend you review all the recipes available in The Kavapedia. Many of the recipes are geared for micronized and instants. If you're not interested in anything flavored or exotic, just start with 2 tsps or 1 whole tbs and throw it in a glass of water and chug it. Please let me know what you decide to do (or did). I'm interested how it went.

MikeB

I like Mo'i
Thank you! Will review the recipes too though I wanted to try some simple groggish thing to start :D

Do I understand right that 1 Tbsp of instant is equivalent to 1 Tbsp of micro? I thought for some reason that instant was "stronger" for the same volume but I guess I was wrong?

Also, I don't want to get stomach upset or dermopathy. Should I deal with straining the GHK micro before drinking? I've heard that that isn't necessary since GHK's micro is processed in a special way to avoid that, but I want to be sure...

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
Thank you! Will review the recipes too though I wanted to try some simple groggish thing to start :D

Do I understand right that 1 Tbsp of instant is equivalent to 1 Tbsp of micro? I thought for some reason that instant was "stronger" for the same volume but I guess I was wrong?

Also, I don't want to get stomach upset or dermopathy. Should I deal with straining the GHK micro before drinking? I've heard that that isn't necessary since GHK's micro is processed in a special way to avoid that, but I want to be sure...
As a trial, I wouldn't worry about it. If you're worried just start out with 1 teaspoon (of either) and give it 30 minutes, and re-apply as needed. Or do the same with a tablespoon (of either) to start. You won't find what is right for you until you try it and it won't hurt you to try either (IMO). If you use too little you won't feel much, if you use too much you may get a little nauseated.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
I agree with the previous answers...1 or 2 Tbsp to start. I'd personally start with 2, wait 20-30 min...and then decide if you want the next one to be 1 or 2. I have a very sensitive stomach and doubt you could possibly get any serious nausea at this rate. I've had 5 or 6 Tbsp of micro over the course of an hour or two, with minimal stomach discomfort. And I don't think anyone has gotten dermopathy on their first try...it actually took me about a year or two of daily drinking to finally get it. Also keep in mind, you might not get the full effects your 1st time...if you're not feeling much after 4 tbsp, you should probably stop for evening and pick it back up tomorrow.

Your 'prepare your own kava' hymen will still be intact after these experiments though. Because none of them included putting ground root in a strainer and kneading it by hand. You got a lot of good stuff though, so you'll probably have some pleasant evenings headed your way. ::kavaleaf::

Roaddog

Kava Who?
I agree with the previous answers...1 or 2 Tbsp to start. I'd personally start with 2, wait 20-30 min...and then decide if you want the next one to be 1 or 2. I have a very sensitive stomach and doubt you could possibly get any serious nausea at this rate. I've had 5 or 6 Tbsp of micro over the course of an hour or two, with minimal stomach discomfort. And I don't think anyone has gotten dermopathy on their first try...it actually took me about a year or two of daily drinking to finally get it. Also keep in mind, you might not get the full effects your 1st time...if you're not feeling much after 4 tbsp, you should probably stop for evening and pick it back up tomorrow.

Your 'prepare your own kava' hymen will still be intact after these experiments though. Because none of them included putting ground root in a strainer and kneading it by hand. You got a lot of good stuff though, so you'll probably have some pleasant evenings headed your way. ::kavaleaf::

Ya, this is a good answer. I might add, I hope your enjoy loosing your kava virginity.:sneaky:. Some folks talk about reverse tolerance. I had nothing like that. I felt it the first time. Hope you do to. Just remember to consume on an empty stomach, and you should do fine. Shells up my friend.::happyshell::. Much love. Roaddog....

MikeB

I like Mo'i
Thank you! Sorry to keep asking these basic questions but I'm trying to get my head wrapped around everything... I'm a bit confused because I see all of these different prep methods for micro kavas but I need to confirm I correctly see the big picture behind all this...

To sanity check myself here, my understanding is:

For micro, it seems like the basic "goal" of all preparation methods are to strain the kava, with the goal being to remove fibers and pulp. So the various prep methods for it basically involve some combination of blending and straining to accomplish this. It seems like the point of this to reduce the potential for dermopathy and GI issues, which straining is thought to do. All of this is thought to be less necessary for GHK's kava, because it's extra-micronized due to a proprietary method which removes the makas and etc, but it might still be helpful.

Is that all right?

If so, I was going through prep methods and was also curious what the point of the "micronized syrup" is... the idea is basically to pre-strain a ton of micro so you can easily just throw it in recipes later on, right?

Just trying to make sure I understand the "theory" here! I feel like a "skholar" :D

Bula,
Mike

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Micronized kava, and instant kava are simply an "add and stir" event. Don't worry about straining these. As you've noticed, the kava provided by GHK is already prepared in a way to reduce the need for it. One tip though. When you add your kava to the water, put the kava in first, add a little water, and if you have one of those frother stirrers, use that. It mixes so much easier when you have a little bit of water instead of pouring the kava directly into an almost full glass.

Oh, and you can't ask too many questions for us :D

MikeB

I like Mo'i
Ok, so I threw 1 Tbsp of the micro Mo'i in water, and then ~20 min later threw another Tbsp in water as well. This was on an empty stomach. It tasted very gritty, which I assume is the point of the various straining methods.

Compared to whatever I was drinking before, I definitely got a lot of "heady" effects this time. Colors seemed brighter, I was more calm, and nothing seemed to really bother me. I did NOT feel any physical sensation of heaviness, sleepiness, etc. It was much more mental. I got a slight anxiolytic effect as well, though it was short-lived.

In general the whole thing was very short-lived. Within an hour I noticed it starting to wear off, starting with the anxiolytic effects. By 1.5 in I noticed the bright colors starting to wear off and 2 hours in it was almost completely done, kind of tapering off in waves.

I had no stomach effects but I did have a slight headache when it started to wear off, but I also had a headache earlier so it may be related to that and not the comedown.

This was fun but much shorter-lasting than the stuff I was drinking before. Is 1.5 to two hours a typical length for kava to last? I know the chemotype starts with 46.... if that helps explain.

sɥɐʞɐs

Review Maestro
Yeah, Mo'i is definitely considered a heady one. Chemo types that have 463--- in the front typically behave similarly. The heavy lactones (251) that affect your body and sedate you more, last longer. Some people aren't as responsive to heady strains (like me) as others. You may be one of those people, but there's no way to know for sure yet, cuz it's still only your 1st night with it and you used a pretty small amount.

MikeB

I like Mo'i
Thanks for that - definitely in line with my experience.

How many Tbsp would qualify as a "normal" amount?

Also a question about eating - I know you're supposed to drink kava on an empty stomach. So I did, and 2 hours later as it was wearing off, I was hungry so I ate some pizza. Now it's worn off so I want to drink some more, but I'm not "supposed to" because I ate. So how do people drink kava for a whole night - do they literally fast the entire time? Or is only the first shell supposed to be while fasted and then you can eat for the rest?

Or, are kava sessions very short and different from alcohol in that you drink while fasted and then once you eat you're completely done?

The "don't eat" thing is throwing me for a loop...

sɥɐʞɐs

Review Maestro
For me personally, when i've used micronized, I use 2 tbsp in something like 1 cup or so of water. I usually gauge how it has hit me over the next 10-30 minutes and take 2 more...wait another 10+ minutes and see if I wanna just have 1...or maybe another 2. Sometimes eating something small will boost the effect, especially if the experience was still somewhat lacking.
You should try to get the bulk of your drinking in before eating, but it's not uncommon to at least take a bite of something after you've had a shell or two. A lot of kava will reduce your appetite, so even after your done drinking for an hour or two, when you eat a small meal it feels incredibly filling. That affect usually isn't as strong with 463--- kavas, from my experience.

MikeB

I like Mo'i
Thanks, makes sense...

I did end up drinking 2 Tbsp more after eating two slices of pizza. The effects were pretty much what I expected - less intense, but lasted much longer. This is, I assume, due to the fat in the pizza slowing down the digestion of everything.

It seems like drinking on a full stomach produces effects that are milder but which last longer - that's my impression. If that's right, then I honestly think that if I had done something like 4-6 Tbsp on a **full** stomach that it would have been as intense as the 1-2 Tbsp on an empty stomach, but lasted longer. I'll try that next...

Has anyone else experimented intentionally with breaking from tradition and drinking kava while eating a meal to prolong the effects like this? I assume the people baking kava into various recipes would naturally end up doing this...

And now for 1 Tbsp of instant Nene to knock me out. So far I like GHK's instant more than the micro toss n wash; dissolves better and tastes great without the gritty mouth feel...

KavaCat

Meow.
I actually don't have too much problems eating with kava. It's like you said, the effects are milder, but they last longer. It also seems to help with any potential stomach issues, if I have a little snack time during my kava time. Not a whole lot of food, just maybe 10-15 cheez-it crackers, or similar. I'm just using that because most people are familiar with 10 little square crackers, and what volume that is. I think about an oz of food, or like 30 grams. Also that was my kava snack last week. And if I eat a little snack or two, it prevents me from eating a whole lot of food, which means I can get a little more out of the kava, without being ravenous.

This is just my personal experiences so far.

D

Deleted User01

I'd start with a tablespoon (micro or instant) mixed vigorously with water and consume. Personally, I don't care for micronized.
Ok, I agree with Kavadude and I will add that I love Micronized. Sometimes the grittiness is a turn off for some people but not me. Remember that Micronized is very pure. All the coarse fibers you get with regular Kava Powder have been removed. When I do Micronized, I end up taking a total of about 2.5 tablespoons. I also mix it in ginger ale with some lime or just club soda in lime and I sit at my desk and sip it.

So maybe 4 oz. of water and 1 tablespoon of either Micronized or Instant if you are just going to throw it down. Maybe 2 tabs in a coffee cup with ginger ale, ice and lime if you are going to sip it. The Instant is not as strong as Micronized in my opinion so take that into account. Also know this, you may have a completely different experience then either Kavadude or I and this is also par for the course.

One more thing, be sure to do it on an empty stomach. Maybe at 5PM before supper or eat an early supper and do it at night but I prefer doing mine before supper and then taking a nitecap of Nene an hour before bedtime. So make Nene your nitetime Kava. You will love it for the sleep alone. Nene is not a party Kava unless you are having a slumber party.:LOL:

MikeB

I like Mo'i
The Nene kicked my ass, lol. Slept like a baby...

I think I'm a fan of micro since it's much cheaper. I just hate the grittiness; if I could get rid of that I'd be happy. What's the best way around the grittiness? Filtering? Making syrup?

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity

I think I'm a fan of micro since it's much cheaper. I just hate the grittiness; if I could get rid of that I'd be happy. What's the best way around the grittiness? Filtering? Making syrup?
@Noueky, didn't you buy a 25 micron bubble filter just to filter micronized? I think you said it worked great without loss of potency.

sɥɐʞɐs

Review Maestro

You could Plug it.
Just kidding, don't do that. ::awesomesmiles:: Seriously, a little grit ain't so bad considering how easy micro is to prepare, how much less terrible it tastes and the added potency it offers. I haven't tried filtering micro, but I know some people have. I'd personally never do it because it seems like it must reduce potency. But perhaps it doesn't, somehow. ?