What's new

Kava Fact of the Day Kava and Cholesterol.

Wanted to keep noting for you guys what I'm learning and the process. Hoping this may help others. These are my lipid profiles from last physical. and that was 2021. So, these should be a good indicator of some of the values. And these values are after years of drinking Kava.

LIPIDS
05/05/2021
Cholesterol - Total169.0 mg/dL
LDL Cholesterol108.2 mg/dL(<130.0 )
HDL Cholesterol39.0 mg/dL(>39.0 )
Triglycerides109.0 mg/dL(<150.0 )
Chol/HDL ratio4.3(<5.0 )

These numbers seem okay.
I"m learning that it's the inflammatory markers from the bloodwork that are important.

"The three most commonly used inflammatory markers are called C-reactive protein (CRP), erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR) and plasma viscosity (PV)."

So, I'm going to try to have that done and see what these indicate. IF they are high, may curtail Kava just for a bit to see what that does to those figures. But, I"m not anticipating that. For all I know... The plaque could have gone down from the check that was done years ago. Will talk with doc. But, Just wanted to keep posting findings to help better understand Kava and cholesterol.

Last edited:
Wanted to keep sharing information discovered with research. I came across this scientific journal article and it's pretty cool.

"A follow-up screening conducted a year after the initial screening found those who had taken Aged Garlic Extract had slowed total plaque accumulation by 80%, reduced soft plaque and demonstrated regression (less plaque on follow-up) for low-attenuation plaque."

Just an update. Got back the most recent cholesterol work. The 2021 lipid panel was good (listed above). This is the 2023
LIPIDS
05/01/2023
Cholesterol - Total172.0 mg/dL
LDL Cholesterol111.2 mg/dL(<130.0 )
HDL Cholesterol38.0 mg/dL(>39.0 )
Triglycerides114.0 mg/dL(<150.0 )
Chol/HDL ratio4.5(<5.0 )

So not bad.. the doc said there was no increase in the MINOR plaque in carotid. I really believe this was from a life of not taking care of myself (55). But, the last 5 years have been great diet and exercise. And 5 years of Kava. So, the Kava hasn't been really affecting my lipids in a negative way. Do need to work on getting my HDL up a bit. So, it's time to drink some shells and be happy.

Tumarumaru

Gunga la Gunga
Just an update. Got back the most recent cholesterol work. The 2021 lipid panel was good (listed above). This is the 2023
LIPIDS
05/01/2023
Cholesterol - Total172.0 mg/dL
LDL Cholesterol111.2 mg/dL(<130.0 )
HDL Cholesterol38.0 mg/dL(>39.0 )
Triglycerides114.0 mg/dL(<150.0 )
Chol/HDL ratio4.5(<5.0 )

So not bad.. the doc said there was no increase in the MINOR plaque in carotid. I really believe this was from a life of not taking care of myself (55). But, the last 5 years have been great diet and exercise. And 5 years of Kava. So, the Kava hasn't been really affecting my lipids in a negative way. Do need to work on getting my HDL up a bit. So, it's time to drink some shells and be happy.
Thank you for sharing!!