What's new

Kava and coffee revisited

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
As I haven't been drinking alcohol for a while I thought I'd give coffee a go again as when I was drinking I just couldn't drink the stuff. Uppers and downers clashing maybe? So for other reasons I've not had kava for a week or so but owing to my addictive personality I'm quickly up to 3 or 4 cups of coffee a day. Is there a way to incorporate both into my routine? I'm a bit reluctant to start drinking kava at the level I was again considering I'm normally still feeling pretty buzzed come my usual kava time. Is it a better idea to just give up the coffee or maybe try a cup mid morning and then leave it alone before kava early evening? Anyone got any experience, advice tips on this? Thanks.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I drink coffee first thing in the morning and stop by 10 am. That way it's half life is complete by 4pm. Kava @ 5. I also take a L-Theanine supplement to help blunt the effects of the caffeine in the afternoon.
Ok thanks, do you notice any enhanced effect of the coffee from the kava you drank the night before?

Crowe

Kava Curious
Ok thanks, do you notice any enhanced effect of the coffee from the kava you drank the night before?
Not that I can really say. If I do it's very mild. I had cut back on my coffee before starting kava and I actually drink more now. Lol

kavakarma

Kava Enthusiast
Great to revisit this topic. Since last time we discussed it, I have noticed a strong reaction to coffee and kava in my body. If I have them at the same time, or have kava before or after coffee, it makes the effect of the caffeine stronger. Way too strong. Cold sweat will drip from my arms and I'll have shallow breath and loud heartbeat maybe even shake. I don't find any recreation in this combo, however these experiences are completely preventable so long as I finish drinking coffee well before sundown or at least six hours before I drink kava. Then I may have as much kava as I want. I think if you were to use a little almond butter or coconut oil in your last cup of coffee for the day it might have a laster longing effect if that is what you're going for.

at first I didn't really notice what was happening with this combo, say, years ago, all I knew is something weird and difficult to enjoy would happen if I had coffee and kava within the same hour. After reading and thinking about it, I realized this is something I do by accident occasionally. After having a coffee some mornings, I'd make kava for the evening and have a taster shell. Then at work I'd be second guessing how many beans I ground because of too much energy. Gladly I figured it out so I can have one or the other on polar sides of my day if I choose. I usually don't have tea or coffee if I got a good night of sleep from kava anyway, it is a habit of mine to drink coffee on random days. Seasonal habit.

Edit: Try Bula Coffee from Fiji Vanua if you want to taste coffee that grows in the same islands where kava is grown. Juan Valdez original Columbian coffee. If you like dark roasts, Hammer by Adirondack Bean-to, or Wadhamz!, a wood fired, smoky bean from another Adirondack coffee roasting company.

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
As I haven't been drinking alcohol for a while I thought I'd give coffee a go again as when I was drinking I just couldn't drink the stuff. Uppers and downers clashing maybe? So for other reasons I've not had kava for a week or so but owing to my addictive personality I'm quickly up to 3 or 4 cups of coffee a day. Is there a way to incorporate both into my routine? I'm a bit reluctant to start drinking kava at the level I was again considering I'm normally still feeling pretty buzzed come my usual kava time. Is it a better idea to just give up the coffee or maybe try a cup mid morning and then leave it alone before kava early evening? Anyone got any experience, advice tips on this? Thanks.
To answer your question on a serious note, first of all I'd say that uppers and downers can absolutely be combined with success.
I am not promoting alcohol specifically. But in general, you can combine uppers and downers, not only without bad side effects, and not only with success, but with excellent complementary effects.
I think the combination gets a bad rap, because in theory, it may not sound good.
But it's all about the right proportions.
And also the right proportions for that particular individual's body chemistry. And for that reason, it takes some experimentation to find the right ratio and formula that works for you.
In theory, someone might say uppers and downers would just cancel each other out.
But in practice and reality, it's not that simple.
That's because the brain is a complex structure, and in a certain person's brain, one compartment may need to be "upped", while another compartment needs to be "downed".
And it goes back to experimentation to find that perfect balance. A simple way of proving this, is to actually take an upper and downer, and ask yourself, "do I feel the same way as before ?" Likely the answer is No, and therefore they don't simply "cancel each other out". That theory is just over-simplifying a very complex brain.

jewalker7842

Kava Curious
I stop drinking coffee by around 9 AM. I typically start hitting the root between 12 PM and 3 PM. I'm sure a little caffeine is still in my bloodstream, but I don't seem to have much of an interaction with it. You could always drink decaf.