What's new

Kava and Living in the present

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
Definitley if you ever wanna talk you can pm me. Typically when people ask me specific questions about presence the answer comes through pretty effortlessly. Ecspecially since your the one asking.

For instance this is what the shamans of the Pacific would do... drink the awa then let it take over. Let it disinhibit your ego so the source can talk. Perse... that's why I want to bring it into kava.... when we discuss it and people are drinking kava the kava will get to flow into our subforums questions and give better answers.

I believe the definition for shaman in the Pacific actually is those who know how to use the kava

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
But otherwise I prefer to have a nice strong line of threads.. more and more people are starting to wake up and this thread will acknowledge that and their questions regarding kava and meditation. We could call the thread "listening to the kava" because that's where that comes from anyway ! A whole thread dedicated to listening to the kava .. yes I like the sounds of that

wanderingwoodsmith

Kava Enthusiast
Thats very interesting, @Mrbinx69! I have tried doing some research on the topic, but never found much of a connection with kava and shamanism. I mean, I knew there had to be some link between Kava and some sort of basic, indigenous or tribal spiritual practices. I have seen and heard a lot about the Tongan, Fijian, and Samoan ceremonies. I know it has to go much deeper than that though. I love listening to plants, especially Kava! The ability to take in a plant's essence and see through its own "eyes" is an amazing thing that many people overlook, even myself on a daily basis. But its nice to slow down and feel the relaxing "lifestyle" that the kava plant might experience, or the upbeat, mellow glow that a Yerba Mate bush may experience.

Two books you might want to check out.
Thich Nhat Hanh- The Miracle of Mindfulness.... The book is so simple. But, yet so profound.
Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche. The Joy of Liiving. The most succinct description of meditation and living in the moment from a Buddhist perspective.

Squanch72

Kava Vendor
Two books you might want to check out.
Thich Nhat Hanh- The Miracle of Mindfulness.... The book is so simple. But, yet so profound.
Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche. The Joy of Liiving. The most succinct description of meditation and living in the moment from a Buddhist perspective.
I was just going to ask for a good book or method of meditation to check out. Woke up way too early this morning and couldn't fight the thinker off as hard as tried, I really need to learn how to meditate.

I was just going to ask for a good book or method of meditation to check out. Woke up way too early this morning and couldn't fight the thinker off as hard as tried, I really need to learn how to meditate.
The Joy of Living is amazing. I have never truly understood what meditation actually means until I read that book. It truly goes to the root of it all.

kilakila

Kava keeps me going.
The Joy of Living is amazing. I have never truly understood what meditation actually means until I read that book. It truly goes to the root of it all.
I agree. Yongay Mingyur Rinpoche also has a number of videos available which are easy and fun to listen to. Also check out tergar.com for meditation guidance.

Huebras

Kava Newbie
If anyone is interested in learning how to meditate, I recently read a great book on the subject. It's called "Turning the Mind into an Ally" by Sakyong Mipham. It's basically a step by step guide written through the authors own life lessons and experiences so it reads more like a story than a text book. He is a Buddhist but only brings Buddhism up a few times for historical reference only so I wouldn't classify it as a religious book. I've been interested in meditation for the past twenty years and have read plenty of books on the subject without ever really "getting it". This book opened my eyes as to the how and the why.

Sacred Journey

Kava Curious
The thing about living in the present and intoxicating substances is a point that Eckhart brings up often in his books and videos. I have been immersed in Advaita Vedenta/Self inquiry now for nearly a decade. It is often referred to as the most direct path in spirituality and also the most challenging. Eckharts realization was definitely inspired by the Great Sages including Ramana Maharshi who I feel has a much more in depth over standing. Eckharts writings are a good introductory though. The key is basically not to turn the teachings in to an intellectual understanding but to move into an actual experiential realization. Now to Kava and Self Awareness or living in the present moment. While intoxicating drugs do seem to help one be more present in the moment the effects are actually not conducive to Self Realization. This is because when under the influence of any substance you are actually descending below thought into a more animal or vegetative state as opposed to transcending thought or rising above it. This is a point Eckhart and many sages stress. If you have any questions about this please feel free to ask.
I wouldn't necessarily agree with this. Intoxicating substances or "entheogens" as I prefer to call them, have been used in religious and shamanic contexts for thousands of years. Like anything in the physical world, there have both positive and negative effects. The key is to make the most of the posiitive effects and avoid the negative as much as possible though wise use.

Contrary to how you are making it sound, there is more than one way to progress spiritually. I have great respect for Ramana Maharshi and advaita vendanta but I have also studied many other teachings and I practice both self inquiry along with the path of devotion to God which incidentally, is what Ramana Maharhsi recommended (I mean he recommended one follow both paths simultaneously, not saying he recommended devotion over self inquiry). I have found certain entheogenic substances to be invaluable for contacting God and showing me the areas in my body and mind where I am resisting the work God is trying to do in me. Entheogenic induced insights, have helped me to deconstruct the psychological self, thus resulting in increased awareness of my true being. I can't speak for other people, and its certainly true that intoxicating substances can be a hindrance and distraction for many. But God put them here for a reason, I see them as medicine and kava has been an important part of my spiritual and healing path. it has freed me from many destructive and fear based thought patterns and supplied me with a lot of positive energy. Another benefit of entheogens is they can supply energy to the mentally drained. People who ordinarily lack the energy or will to even do self inquiry, can find themselves suddenly spiritually inspired after the right variety of mushroom for example. There is a lot more I could say about entheogens, spirituality, holy communion and shamanic journeying but I'll leave it at that for now.

Kava is also unique in that one's mind actually remains quite clear under its influence. Its not like opium where the mind goes to sleep and lacks awareness.

Mesh

Kava Curious
Thats very interesting, @Mrbinx69! I know it has to go much deeper than that though. I love listening to plants, especially Kava! The ability to take in a plant's essence and see through its own "eyes" is an amazing thing that many people overlook, even myself on a daily basis. But its nice to slow down and feel the relaxing "lifestyle" that the kava plant might experience, or the upbeat, mellow glow that a Yerba Mate bush may experience.
I love the idea that everything around us (plants,animals,insects,and even rock) may have consciousness of their own. Experiencing the world in their own way.

Which also leads me to think about how different every persons life is to another. Everyone lives in their own world (per say) experiencing it in their own way. Or another way to say it, the world is perceived differently by everyone (shockingly different, depending on how deep you want to go down the rabbit hole.)

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
Ultimately salvia and kava have been responsible for the beggining first glimpse into consciousness without form (salvia) and enough relaxation without being stoned (kava) to go back into presence.
Psychedelics are okay as long as you don't become dependant on them... recognizing the importance of past trips and thinking I need shrooms or lsd to be aware of consciousness ( be yourself) is an illusion. You are saying . I need a form to be formless. Haha how silly ;)

Eckhart said that he would try mushrooms in another life if theirs more cultural context

Status
Not open for further replies.