What's new

Kava and psycotic anxiety ?

DaManTheyCallB

Kava Curious
Just to preface since an abusive relationship I get racing mind and very intrusive unpleasant thoughts at times even before substanances. I'm also working on coming off K@ and have dramatically lowered my dose the last two days. I also take DLPA and Agmatine. Well today mixed up 30G Lawena and 30G Balanced kava. Went to make me another batch of some waka and started getting those very unpleasant intrusive thoughts . My question is , is it the heady kava? It has happened with cannabis and mind expanding substanances as well in which I had to abort the expierence. I almost feel like it's PTSD and it's hell. I just dunno what to do I like kava alot and really leaning on it to try and get off K@ (which K@ withdrawal could be another reason why my mind started racing but probably another reason why I leaned on K@ so heavily to numb my mind) . I've considered not taking the DLPA since it's a precursor to dopamine , noradrenaline, norepinephrine becuase I know dopaminergics can increase ocd . Any advice appreciated.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Just to preface since an abusive relationship I get racing mind and very intrusive unpleasant thoughts at times even before substanances. I'm also working on coming off K@ and have dramatically lowered my dose the last two days. I also take DLPA and Agmatine. Well today mixed up 30G Lawena and 30G Balanced kava. Went to make me another batch of some waka and started getting those very unpleasant intrusive thoughts . My question is , is it the heady kava? It has happened with cannabis and mind expanding substanances as well in which I had to abort the expierence. I almost feel like it's PTSD and it's hell. I just dunno what to do I like kava alot and really leaning on it to try and get off K@ (which K@ withdrawal could be another reason why my mind started racing but probably another reason why I leaned on K@ so heavily to numb my mind) . I've considered not taking the DLPA since it's a precursor to dopamine , noradrenaline, norepinephrine becuase I know dopaminergics can increase ocd . Any advice appreciated.
I suspect you’re on to something about the DLPA. Kava has mild moa-b properties which might not be playing with with your system well. Also yeah, the krat withdrawal will give you those thoughts as well.

Jacob Bula

Nobody
I'm not a doctor, but I would suggest tapering to get to a point where you don't take any substances for a least a few weeks or months if at all possible. Find a good therapist if you don't already have one, and let your brain sort out its neurochemistry (rinse off the receptors as Dennis McKenna put it). Then come back to kava after you've had a break from everything if you want to. As for PTSD, there are MDMA trials sponsored by MAPS with very promising results. That may be an option in the future. Whatever you do, just remember that things will get better for you. As long as your still moving and breathing, you're future is wide open.

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
100% what Jacob Bula said. I have to do this myself and don't because I'm stubborn, but really take a break from everything for a while. I found kava after getting off K@, and it worked great, but don't start mixing stuff. Never mix things that you don't have a lot of experience with individually.