What's new

Kava available in Australia

the_wilderness

Kava Enthusiast
How have you been @the_wilderness ? What kava have you been sipping (more like chugging) these days?
put my top 10 up a few posts back. I'm mostly on a rotation of Blue Lagoon, Wakanavu and Lami at the moment. Looking forward to trying some Root + Pestle instants in the mail. Getting a lotta nausea lately and suspect it's because I drink a litre of kava upfront...all that liquid. yeuch. doesn't work the regular way for me tho, only get effects from the first chugload. instants will likely help with that (fingers crossed)

Sunset_squash67

Aus kava enthusiast
put my top 10 up a few posts back. I'm mostly on a rotation of Blue Lagoon, Wakanavu and Lami at the moment. Looking forward to trying some Root + Pestle instants in the mail. Getting a lotta nausea lately and suspect it's because I drink a litre of kava upfront...all that liquid. yeuch. doesn't work the regular way for me tho, only get effects from the first chugload. instants will likely help with that (fingers crossed)
I don't know how you do 1L straight up lol.

Yeah I got some root and pestle coming in the mail to. I added some instant aswell since I've only had traditional grind thus far.

How do you get on Blue Lagoon (taste wise)? My mates found the taste fine it seems like I'm the only one who feels it's super strong lol.

the_wilderness

Kava Enthusiast
How do you get on Blue Lagoon (taste wise)? My mates found the taste fine it seems like I'm the only one who feels it's super strong lol.
It tastes bad, but only regular bad...pretty normal for a dark kava. The blonde Fijian and Hawaiian kavas are the easiest to get down, I find, but I'll take bad tasting for good effects.

Classic Kava

Kava Lover
Australian Importer
Hi Everyone,

We are looking for 5 people to review some samples of our kava to help get the word out. These are free samples that we will send to you.

We have nine varieties of kava and will send a random sample of one variety to each of the five people.

Criteria:
* Must live in Australia
* Must have tried kava at least five times before
* Must be aware of the preparation required
* Must be willing to post a review on Kava Forums & one other location (google, facebook, reddit etc). It can be the same review, copy and pasted.
* Review can be honest feedback, good or bad.

If you are interested, please email: [email protected] with your name, address and phone number. We will send the samples out to the first 5 people who contact us.

Thanks and happy Friday!

Sunset_squash67

Aus kava enthusiast
Hi Everyone,

We are looking for 5 people to review some samples of our kava to help get the word out. These are free samples that we will send to you.

We have nine varieties of kava and will send a random sample of one variety to each of the five people.

Criteria:
* Must live in Australia
* Must be willing to post a review on Kava Forums & one other location (google, facebook, reddit etc). It can be the same review, copy and pasted.

If you are interested, please email: [email protected] with your name, address and phone number. We will send the samples out to the first 5 people who contact us.

Thanks and happy Friday!
Happy Friday! I just sent an email with details

Lotalife

Kava Curious
Hi Everyone,

Criteria:
* Must live in Australia

Thanks and happy Friday!
Sounds great to me, I’ve just emailed you. Happy Friday!!

B0rt

Comfortably Numb
Hi Everyone,

Criteria:
* Must live in Australia

Thanks and happy Friday!
Happy to provide my feedback/experience with classickava;

I purchased some Fiji Loa Waka from Classic Kava back in February and was fairly unimpressed with the product, happy to write it off as a bad purchase...
Until..
I received an email from Classic Kava explaining that they had had a quality problem with their first shipment and offered to send me a replacement from their upcoming Vanuatu shipment as compensation for the low quality of the Loa Waka.
Colour me impressed.
I have since almost finished the free Kelai that they sent through as well as some Melo Melo that I purchased at the same time.
A short review;
I bought the Melo Melo because I had previously had the instant Melo Melo from Root and Pestle. Let me assure anyone that the effect profile between Root & Pestle and Classic Kava is the same....except that I find traditional prep hits noticeably harder than the instant.
I REALLY enjoy what Melo Melo has to offer. It's a "balanced" kava, except that it has a noticeable euphoric start for me, followed by a delayed but very significant sedation at the tail end. It's kind of more of everything compared with, for example, a Paul's Green Gold (which I also enjoy).
Now to the Kelai;
I got this as a freebie and probably would not have bought it otherwise. Being well known as a very heady cultivar, I would have naturally avoided it as I have significant anxiety issues and generally don't enjoy the "come up" of some stronger Fijian kavas, but......
Kelai is amazing!
There's no anxiety/edginess at all, just excellent chilled out ear ringing buzziness behind the eyes. It wears off within an hour of completing the session, with very little sedation. Perfect for daytime shenanigans.

As a vendor Classic Kava seems to do better than most, I've had pretty good shipping experiences so far.

Overall it's a thumbs up from me.

For reference, my "rankings" for the offerings I've tried;
1. Classic Kava Melo Melo
2. Root & Pestle Melo Melo instant
3. Classic Kava Kelai
4. OzKava Gold Blend
5. My Kava Hut Jif Instant
6. Paul's Green Gold
7. Kings kava
8. Classic Kava Fiji Loa Waka

Classic Kava

Kava Lover
Australian Importer
Hi Everyone,

Criteria:
* Must live in Australia

Thanks and happy Friday!
Thanks very much for all the replies and emails. Just letting you know that we now have five people for the free samples. We may do this again later in the year so will let you know again then. Thanks!

Classic Kava

Kava Lover
Australian Importer
Happy to provide my feedback/experience with classickava;

I purchased some Fiji Loa Waka from Classic Kava back in February and was fairly unimpressed with the product, happy to write it off as a bad purchase...
Until..
I received an email from Classic Kava explaining that they had had a quality problem with their first shipment and offered to send me a replacement from their upcoming Vanuatu shipment as compensation for the low quality of the Loa Waka.
Colour me impressed.
I have since almost finished the free Kelai that they sent through as well as some Melo Melo that I purchased at the same time.
A short review;
I bought the Melo Melo because I had previously had the instant Melo Melo from Root and Pestle. Let me assure anyone that the effect profile between Root & Pestle and Classic Kava is the same....except that I find traditional prep hits noticeably harder than the instant.
I REALLY enjoy what Melo Melo has to offer. It's a "balanced" kava, except that it has a noticeable euphoric start for me, followed by a delayed but very significant sedation at the tail end. It's kind of more of everything compared with, for example, a Paul's Green Gold (which I also enjoy).
Now to the Kelai;
I got this as a freebie and probably would not have bought it otherwise. Being well known as a very heady cultivar, I would have naturally avoided it as I have significant anxiety issues and generally don't enjoy the "come up" of some stronger Fijian kavas, but......
Kelai is amazing!
There's no anxiety/edginess at all, just excellent chilled out ear ringing buzziness behind the eyes. It wears off within an hour of completing the session, with very little sedation. Perfect for daytime shenanigans.

As a vendor Classic Kava seems to do better than most, I've had pretty good shipping experiences so far.

Overall it's a thumbs up from me.

For reference, my "rankings" for the offerings I've tried;
1. Classic Kava Melo Melo
2. Root & Pestle Melo Melo instant
3. Classic Kava Kelai
4. OzKava Gold Blend
5. My Kava Hut Jif Instant
6. Paul's Green Gold
7. Kings kava
8. Classic Kava Fiji Loa Waka
Thanks very much for your review, its great to hear your feedback!

Agador

Today is only yesterday's tomorrow
I feel I need to warn other forum members about OzKava's gold blend medium grind .........

I purchased a a 500g bag. After it arrived, that evening, I duly measured the normal 2 to 3 heaped tablespoons I usually prefer for my first session and poured a bowl. I like to down 2 to 3 bowls first up. BIG mistake. After being blown into the lounge chair for half an hour I emerged light sensitive, suitably chastened and with a new respect for this quality kava.

This is powerful, potent stuff!

I have drunk kava for the last 15 years and this is the strongest I have tried. Although the pricing is at the top end of the kava market, it represents great value in that you only need half of what you would drink for an average kava and you are consuming a high quality product (Forney Enterprises origin).

Highly recommended. (I'm going to try OzKava's instant next!)

Sunset_squash67

Aus kava enthusiast
I feel I need to warn other forum members about OzKava's gold blend medium grind .........

I purchased a a 500g bag. After it arrived, that evening, I duly measured the normal 2 to 3 heaped tablespoons I usually prefer for my first session and poured a bowl. I like to down 2 to 3 bowls first up. BIG mistake. After being blown into the lounge chair for half an hour I emerged light sensitive, suitably chastened and with a new respect for this quality kava.

I have drunk kava for the last 15 years and this is the strongest I have tried. Although the pricing is at the top end of the kava market, it represents great value in that you only need half of what you would drink for an average kava and you are consuming a high quality product (Forney Enterprises origin).

Sounds amazing. I'm so happy to see quality kava appearing on the Australian market!
Forney enterprises with the hits!

the_wilderness

Kava Enthusiast
I'm always curious about instant guidelines; teaspoons of instant rather than tablespoons. I've never felt much with instant in anything less than about 2-4 tbsp and 4 hours fasting. How much do others take? (I'm talking quality instants from reputable vendors).

Sunset_squash67

Aus kava enthusiast
I'm always curious about instant guidelines; teaspoons of instant rather than tablespoons. I've never felt much with instant in anything less than about 2-4 tbsp and 4 hours fasting. How much do others take? (I'm talking quality instants from reputable vendors).
My instant kava arrived today, but I decided to brew up some traditional Melo Melo instead.

I'm sure I'll have a crack at the instant by the end of the week, and I will report back

Is there a minimum amount of water you need to mix the instant into? Because less liquid is better for me

OzKava

The wonderful kava of Oz
Kava Vendor
Australian Importer

Yes, it is potent and long-lasting. ::wow2:: We do mention on our FAQ page that consumers may need twice the quantity with other kava brands. Thank you very much for your honest review @Agador we greatly appreciate it. ::tipshat::

Peter, ozkava.au

KF approv - Forney logos 31-3-22.png

Last edited:

B0rt

Comfortably Numb
Just made up a shell of Melo Melo instant;
One HEAPING teaspoon in a small cup of cordial.
I measured that to be 8g of instant powder in 200ml of liquid.
This hits about the same as a shell of traditional prep for me.
(Traditional prep I do 40-50g in 1000ml total over 2 washes)