What's new

Kava available in Australia

Barryc

My current rankings of those i have tried:

1 Waka kava Australian kava
2 Blue lagoon
3 Pauls green gold
4 Fijikava

Up next is root and pestle kelai. Thanks all for the reviews and suggestions.

BLK.Matt

Blue Lagoon Kava
Australian Importer
Great to hear, looking forward to trying some of the other cultivars.

In your opinion, which one has the mildest flavour? The original kava you stocked had great effects but I found it hard to drink because of the flavour.

At the start it wasn't to bad, but I did struggle to get through the KG lol
Hey Mate

Glad to hear you enjoyed it besides the taste - but what kava tastes good :) . Pure lateral root is always going to be the least palatable. We talked about softening the taste with the farmer by adding some basal root (lawena) but opted to introduce ourselves with a bang.

Out of the 4 we now have, I personally find the Damu to be the most palatable. Keep in mind, this cultivar is much more on the heavy side.

Last edited:

Sunset_squash67

Aus kava enthusiast
Hey Mate

Glad to hear you enjoyed it besides the taste - but what kava tastes good :) . Pure lateral root is always going to be the least palatable. We talked about softening the taste with the farmer by adding some basal root (lawena) but opted to introduce ourselves with a bang.

Out of the 4 we now have, I personally find the Damu to be the most palatable. Keep in mind, this cultivar is much more on the heavy side.
Thank you for the info. And it's great that you have different sizes now so it's easier to try.

Once I get through my current bags of Kava, I will try the Damu. I enjoy heavy kavas so this sounds very promising.

the_wilderness

Kava Enthusiast
My current rankings of those i have tried:

1 Waka kava Australian kava
2 Blue lagoon
3 Pauls green gold
4 Fijikava
Been meaning to do this! Here's mine
1 Melo melo Australian kava
2 Blue Lagoon
3 Lami kava
4 Wakanavu Savusavu
5 Paul's green gold
6 Borogu Australian kava
7-9 random sellers i can't remember the name of xD
10 Fiji kava

I've had my kava hut too but made the mistake of getting 100g sachets--so never broke through my RT (have it switching strains). Seemed like decent stuff, not too bad tasting but very fine.

The website doesn't say much, unlike a couple of other websites that had extensive information on the products they are selling. So I bought from them. No info= no sales.

Basic info like kava strain, if known, and what percentage of lateral and basal roots is in the product being offered should be the bare minimum. Additional information like what sort of effects the kava will produce would be great too, whether there is a euphoric feeling, whether it is fast acting or slow to kick in, whether noble kava was used, heaviness, body effect etc.

Waka Kava from Australian Kava was a hit! This is now the benchmark.

Good to see offerings from Classic Kava, Kava Calm and Nesian Kava.

I would like to try the following next:

1) Vanuata Lateral Roots from Classic Kava, 1 kg for $160 and with discount code becomes $144.
Notes: "This kava is a mix of 6 year old, 100% lateral roots. Featuring a peppery taste, this kava is enjoyed by those who like a strong effect for a reasonable price. This kava is a mix of several varieties of 100% noble, lateral roots."

2) Premium A grade waka kava from Kava Calm, 1 kg for $159.99.
Notes: "Premium quality, 6.5 year old mature A grade Fiji waka kava. 100% pure, no blends and all natural, organic high grade lateral root powder. Brown in colour, smooth, slightly creamy in texture with an earthy smell and high potency. Manually pounded very fine powder, makes straining easy, quick to prepare
and little residue."

Anyone tried either of the above? What is appealing for me is that both are 100% lateral roots and priced well. The one drawback with the Kava Calm product is that the powder is very fine - which I guess could be a good or bad thing depending on your preference. I think I prefer a traditional medium grind not a fine powder.
I decided against Kava Calm because the website shows you one price, and when you check out it shows you a different price with GST added. Not on. Australian consumer law requires prices to be inclusive of GST, and not for GST to be sneaked in at the very end when a customer is about to make payment. I believe this is breaking the law:

Karans Kava

Quality Kava At An Affordable Price !
Australian Importer
The website doesn't say much, unlike a couple of other websites that had extensive information on the products they are selling. So I bought from them. No info= no sales.

Basic info like kava strain, if known, and what percentage of lateral and basal roots is in the product being offered should be the bare minimum. Additional information like what sort of effects the kava will produce would be great too, whether there is a euphoric feeling, whether it is fast acting or slow to kick in, whether noble kava was used, heaviness, body effect etc.
That's unfortunate you gave us a miss, in any case, thanks for your feedback :)

Sunset_squash67

Aus kava enthusiast

I think kava vendors really need to take note of this. Early on, we would just take what we could get. Now we have some fantastic options and it's easier to make informed decisions.

I really think that kind of info is the bare minimum - I'm in the same boat as you @bulanydjiboi

Sunset_squash67

Aus kava enthusiast
So I decided to take advantage of Root and Pestles current sale! I still haven't gotten around to writing reviews for their first 2 products I tried, but I was extremely impressed with the quality.

Although...I have a sneaking suspicion that the Kelai gives me stomach issues. Both times I consumed it I ended up quite gassy. I will give it another chance though as it may just be coincidence.

The Borongoru on the other hand is fantastic! Very sedating and slightly intoxicating.

For my next order, I ordered more borogoru, and going to try some Melo Melo! Also, I threw in some Instant Palarasul. I've never had instant kava before, but looking forward to it.

Has anyone tried the Melo Melo or palarasul? The Melo Melo sounded like a nice wind down kava. While borogoru is certainly powerful, sometimes it gets hard to play with my son in the evenings if he's particularly hyped up...hoping Melo Melo can help with that!

Sunset_squash67

Aus kava enthusiast
2 Blue Lagoon
3 Lami kava
4 Wakanavu Savusavu
5 Paul's green gold
6 Borogu Australian kava
10 Fiji kava

I've had my kava hut too but made the mistake of getting 100g sachets--so never broke through my RT (have it switching strains). Seemed like decent stuff, not too bad tasting but very fine.
Woooo look at that variety! I'll add mine
here:

1.Root and pestle kava - High quality, very consistent grind, mild taste, and very strong effects (tried borogoru and Kelai so far).

2. Blue lagoon kava - very nice balanced kava - quite strong but neither too heady nor too heavy. Perfect afternoon kava. Only downside is it has a VERY strong taste. Wasn't too bad at the start, but towards the ends of the kilo I started blending it with other Kava (Tried the original one..I think it was Loa La Kesa?)

3. Green Gold Kava (Paul's Liquor) - I enjoyed this kava, not super strong but does the job. A bit more sedating, so recommend it later in the evening. Bit expensive for what it is though. Tastes fine.

4. BiloVinaka Kava: First kava I ever tried. Felt very average effects, quite mild and balanced. Had to drink quite a bit to feel anything. This could have been reversed tolerance though. On the plus side, it was the easiest to drink (from memory).

5. FijiKava: Putting this dead last, even though I haven't even tried it. Very upset - when I preordered they confirmed via email that it was "traditional grind". What came was not traditional grind, and they didn't respond to my emails after that. Will probably sell for half price on Facebook market, and I'm not touching another FijiKava product again.

Catlady

Kava Curious
So I decided to take advantage of Root and Pestles current sale! I still haven't gotten around to writing reviews for their first 2 products I tried, but I was extremely impressed with the quality.

Although...I have a sneaking suspicion that the Kelai gives me stomach issues. Both times I consumed it I ended up quite gassy. I will give it another chance though as it may just be coincidence.

The Borongoru on the other hand is fantastic! Very sedating and slightly intoxicating.

For my next order, I ordered more borogoru, and going to try some Melo Melo! Also, I threw in some Instant Palarasul. I've never had instant kava before, but looking forward to it.

Has anyone tried the Melo Melo or palarasul? The Melo Melo sounded like a nice wind down kava. While borogoru is certainly powerful, sometimes it gets hard to play with my son in the evenings if he's particularly hyped up...hoping Melo Melo can help with that!
Hey there,
I have purchased the instant Melo Melo from root and pestle and the palarasul and Kelai. I've only been consuming Kava for about 1 month and without proclaiming myself as a connoisseur, I definitely can feel the difference between each.
The melo melo is great, definitely balanced. I didn't get so much muscle relaxation but I could feel the chill factor and it made me slightly dizzy. I did sleep well too. I found it reasonably lasting.
I found the palarasul more heady, with a slow and gradual onset, the best I could describe it is as mood enhancing. The effects didn't last very long, I had 30g in 2 cps of water prepared the traditional way.
I haven't tried Kelai yet.
I also had the Paramaon from My Kava Hut which I found quite heavy. Initially I had a lingering brain fog for a few days but after a few more times it was fine.
I'm out of instant Melo Melo will order again. ✌

Root & Pestle

Vanuatu Kava Exporter
Kava Vendor
Australian Importer
Hey there,
I have purchased the instant Melo Melo from root and pestle and the palarasul and Kelai. I've only been consuming Kava for about 1 month and without proclaiming myself as a connoisseur, I definitely can feel the difference between each.
The melo melo is great, definitely balanced. I didn't get so much muscle relaxation but I could feel the chill factor and it made me slightly dizzy. I did sleep well too. I found it reasonably lasting.
I found the palarasul more heady, with a slow and gradual onset, the best I could describe it is as mood enhancing. The effects didn't last very long, I had 30g in 2 cps of water prepared the traditional way.
I also had the Paramaon from My Kava Hut which I found quite heavy. Initially I had a lingering brain fog for a few days but after a few more times it was fine.
Hi Catlady, Thank you so much for your support. We are happy to hear you are enjoying our products.

Root & Pestle

Vanuatu Kava Exporter
Kava Vendor
Australian Importer
Woooo look at that variety! I'll add mine
here:

1.Root and pestle kava - High quality, very consistent grind, mild taste, and very strong effects (tried borogoru and Kelai so far).

2. Blue lagoon kava - very nice balanced kava - quite strong but neither too heady nor too heavy. Perfect afternoon kava. Only downside is it has a VERY strong taste. Wasn't too bad at the start, but towards the ends of the kilo I started blending it with other Kava (Tried the original one..I think it was Loa La Kesa?)

3. Green Gold Kava (Paul's Liquor) - I enjoyed this kava, not super strong but does the job. A bit more sedating, so recommend it later in the evening. Bit expensive for what it is though. Tastes fine.

4. BiloVinaka Kava: First kava I ever tried. Felt very average effects, quite mild and balanced. Had to drink quite a bit to feel anything. This could have been reversed tolerance though. On the plus side, it was the easiest to drink (from memory).

5. FijiKava: Putting this dead last, even though I haven't even tried it. Very upset - when I preordered they confirmed via email that it was "traditional grind". What came was not traditional grind, and they didn't respond to my emails after that. Will probably sell for half price on Facebook market, and I'm not touching another FijiKava product again.
Does that mean we are your #1? Yay. Thank you for your support, its great to hear you are enjoying our products.

Root & Pestle

Vanuatu Kava Exporter
Kava Vendor
Australian Importer
Just a (very quick) review of Root and Pestle Kelai.

Arrived at my doorstep just before lunch, so decided to have a small amount wbfore eating lunch.

I put 2tbsp into an aluball shaker, shook for 2 mins then had it over 2 shells, 15 mins apart.

All I can say is WOW. This was my first Vanuatu kava, and first heady kava.
This stuff is super potent. I felt it in my head, and it even left my ears ringing. Very intense considering I usually take 40-50g of traditional method kava.

It was a very nice eurphoric feeling, and evolved into a nice body feeling, which was kinda heavy too. Quite short though,.effects dissipated within half an hour.

Also tastes very smooth and mellow. Didn't need a chsder for it, which is very different from the Blue Lagoon kava which has nice effects, but that I really struggle to drink these days.

Overall , if you want to try a heady kava I would highly recommend.

I will write a full review when I have a chase to take a higher dose using traditional method.

I also have some Borongoru. Unfortunately I won't be able to try it tonight, but will try a good dose tomorrow (traditional method) and report back with that.
That's so great to hear. Thank you for your review. We are so glad to hear you has such a good experience.

Lotalife

Kava Curious
2 Blue Lagoon
3 Lami kava
4 Wakanavu Savusavu
5 Paul's green gold
6 Borogu Australian kava
10 Fiji kava

I just had to share that I’ve just now gone back to the Paul’s liquor green gold kava after a while trying others and gotta say it’s pretty good. Coming from a liquor store I think it’s probably been looked down on (including from me) but it’s greasy which you can tell is packed with kavalactones and gives a very nice chill. It will remain in my rotation!

Sunset_squash67

Aus kava enthusiast
Hey there,
Thanks for the info! Making me very keen to try the Melo Melo it sounds exactly like what I am looking for.

After experimenting with different doses and after a few sessions, I will say that I enjoyed the borogoru quite a bit more than the Kelai. I feel the Kelai is just a bit too short lived and "one note". But if you like heady kava it would be great.

I'm kinda hoping the paralasul will bring some more dimension to the experience

the_wilderness

Kava Enthusiast
I just had to share that I’ve just now gone back to the Paul’s liquor green gold kava after a while trying others and gotta say it’s pretty good. Coming from a liquor store I think it’s probably been looked down on (including from me) but it’s greasy which you can tell is packed with kavalactones and gives a very nice chill. It will remain in my rotation!
the other thing I like about it is it doesn't taste half as 3 of my top 4...some days you just want a day off the taste

Sunset_squash67

Aus kava enthusiast
Thanks for the info! Making me very keen to try the Melo Melo it sounds exactly like what I am looking for.

After experimenting with different doses and after a few sessions, I will say that I enjoyed the borogoru quite a bit more than the Kelai. I feel the Kelai is just a bit too short lived and "one note". But if you like heady kava it would be great.

I'm kinda hoping the paralasul will bring some more dimension to the experience
And of course after I said this....I had a fantastic session on the Kelai today.

Did nothing too different today than the last few days on Kelai...only minor difference is i used hotter water, and added a splash of milk because it was on the bench lol.

I'm getting full body relaxation and my mind is clear but slow in a good way.

Kava is a fickle mistress haha.