What's new

Kava for benzodiazepine withdrawal

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Welcome aboard, Castillo. There are several members who have used kava to help them get off benzos. Hopefully one of them will comment. It is an effective and nonaddictive anxiolytic.

Making your own from powdered root is much more effective than pills and candy. I highly recommend obtaining a strainer and a sample pack from Bula Kava House or Gourmet Hawaiian Kava.

castillo

Thank u for the welcome. I hope they do come around and add their insight. I was thinking of a sample pack from bula kava but how convenient is it? Does it have to be taken throughout the day? I basically don't want to just mask my symptoms from withdrawal but more so to heal my brain chemistry. I heard kava can upregulate gaba but then there is conflicting info about it being a gaba agonist. I have every anxiety in the world right now but the worst would have to be agoraphobia and social anxiety.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Looks like BKH is sold out of their sample packs. GHK's gift pack is still there, it includes the best instant on the market (IMO) as well as micronized which are both mix-and-drink. A lot of no-prep products out there are outright bunk, but all of the vendors who post here are legit. Straining powdered root is pretty inconvenient but you can't beat it for cost effectiveness, and you can always do it in advance. I know several people have reported a multi-day anxiolytic effect, so if you're one of those lucky folks you might not need to worry dosing during the day.

Last edited:

castillo

OMG stupid stupid me. I thought it would be a good idea to throw in a quarter of a pill of kava and see what happens for my benzo withdrawal. I completely regret it. I still haven't slept and there's this nervous energy running down my limbs and in my chest. The kava is 30% at 400mg.

I was doing so well on rhodiola and relora and I had to do this for myself!! WHY???? Usually I take a relora to calm down my adrenals if I get anxious but I'm too scared to take anything. I took the kava about 5 hours ago. Would it be okay to take a relora? Are there interactions with kava? Please help!!!

D

Deleted User01

Welcome to the Forum Castillo. The Kava Candy may have more Kavain in there. I have some Candy myself. You may need something with more sedating effects. Kava has three main effects depending on the type you get: Analgesic (muscle pain), Sedating, and Heady (High Kavain Types) I like Mapulehu from GHK for something mildly sedating or Hiwa for something stronger. This is a great example of where a Sampler of Micronized and/or instant would come in handy. Chris, are listening out there? It's probably too early in Hawaii. Maybe he can make a recommendation. Both Kavadude and I are recommending Micronized and Instant because you check out the Kava right away without having to learn preparation and dealing the somewhat nasty taste of powder. I use either Micronized Kava for Instant Kava in my recipes which are posted here on the forum. Just plain fruit juice with a tablespoon of Micronized or Instant should go down easy for a Beginner. But you have to find the right Strain.

I know there are guys here that have gone thru Benzo Withdrawal and there should be lots of existing posts already.

castillo

Out of sheer curiosity, can anyone do some research and find out what kind of kava Life Choice brand has??? That way I know what NOT to get in terms of kava. Not completely sure but I do feel like my muscles are really heavy..BUT THIS IS AFTER 7 HOURS!! is this even possible?

D

Deleted User01

That's the age old problem Castillo. There are so many Kavas and Kava byproducts for sale and you have no idea where they came from, how they were handled, or what was mixed into them prior to being packaged. You can try sending Life Choice an email and ask them.

D

Deleted User01

Ask them what strain they use and if they have the chemotype (6 digit string). Then tell them this: By strain I mean is it Hiwa, Moi, Borogu or what. That way there can't be any misunderstanding. Whatever they give you then bring it back to us and let us know.

TidyMinion

Kava Padawan
Out of sheer curiosity, can anyone do some research and find out what kind of kava Life Choice brand has??? That way I know what NOT to get in terms of kava. Not completely sure but I do feel like my muscles are really heavy..BUT THIS IS AFTER 7 HOURS!! is this even possible?
I Googled this and saw this post: http://newhope360.com/trends/unauthorized-natural-choice-health-products-found-canadian-market

"Health Canada is advising consumers not to use any unauthorized health products sold under the brand names Natural Choice Vitamin B-17, Natural Choice Kava Kava and Natural Choice Lithium Orotate. These unauthorized health products have a similar identifying image on their label (below). Consumers should note that the above-mentioned products may also be available under the brand names Life Choice, Doctor's Choice, Your Choice and Healthy Choice as these products have been marketed under a variety of brand names."

I'd suggest dumping those pills you may be doing more harm than good. I think it's agreed by the majority of members here that the best way, like Deleted User01 was saying, is to go with the root powder (ground powder, micronized or instant) and stay away from pills or tinctures, especially the kind made with alcohol. These highly processed items are most likely to blame for the liver toxicity reports and why Kava was banned in some countries.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Castillo, I'd guess it's a placebo effect. Kava tends to last 6 hours at the longest. Early on in my kava career I ate an entire bottle of those powdered root pills and all I got for my trouble was peppery burps.

TidyMinion

Kava Padawan
Also found this: if this (http://www.nationalnutrition.ca/detail.aspx?ID=5795) is what you have then you didn't get pure kava in the capsules it also has chamomile extract. I'm wondering if you aren't allergic to one or the other ingredient. Especially since Chamomile is a known allergen... http://nccam.nih.gov/health/chamomile/ataglance.htm:
Side Effects and Cautions
  • There are reports of allergic reactions in people who have eaten or come into contact with chamomile products. Reactions can include skin rashes, throat swelling, shortness of breath, and anaphylaxis (a life-threatening allergic reaction).
  • People are more likely to experience allergic reactions to chamomile if they are allergic to related plants in the daisy family, which includes ragweed, chrysanthemums, marigolds, and daisies.
Maybe you should check in with your doctor?

castillo

Thx guys! I don't think it was placebo cause I went in having great faith that it would work after reading all the positive stories. It could come down to the product. I should be getting the kava candy soon and before I invest anymore money into more products I will give that a trial and see if I get the same effect.

This is the email I got back from Life choice...

"Hello.

The material we use isolates the 6 strains, many suppliers only test for kavain and then apply a factory calculated amount of the 5 other kavalactones. The reliable quantification of the 6 different kavalactones is what we use characterizing all 6 kavalactones in kava, nothing but the very best."

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
Thx guys! I don't think it was placebo cause I went in having great faith that it would work after reading all the positive stories. It could come down to the product. I should be getting the kava candy soon and before I invest anymore money into more products I will give that a trial and see if I get the same effect.

This is the email I got back from Life choice...

"Hello.

The material we use isolates the 6 strains, many suppliers only test for kavain and then apply a factory calculated amount of the 5 other kavalactones. The reliable quantification of the 6 different kavalactones is what we use characterizing all 6 kavalactones in kava, nothing but the very best."
Well at least they replied, but didn't really tell you anything (except of course that it's the "Very Best"). :(

ecech

Hey all...working from a serious benzo position myself...30mg diazapam at least for sleep (and I can never tell if I've actually slept or not) + phenibut + sometimes etizolam. Tried kava (Vanuatu - not sure of the strain) today as a replacement for those 'during the day' panic attacks, and it seems to be working very well. I'd cracked exactly half the bones in my skull 10 years ago...went from opiates (just to make it through the day) to GHB (worked wonders, except I'd sleepwalk, and got multiple DUI's for driving on it at 4am when starving) and now to benzos. These are probably the worst, as the w/d's are unspeakably difficult. I'd spent 3 days locked up (LAST time incarcerated, EVER!) because they wanted to make sure I wouldn't have seizures! I almost couldn't speak at the end of it, but have slowly put myself back in a tight spot.

i'd gotten down to just the 30mg diazapam a night, with almost no caffeine, and was getting along pretty well. Though this was in rehab, where the day's stresses aren't really that much. Now, back to work with many responsibilities (including the care and support of my new wife), I've migrated back to phenibut + diazapam. It's the only time I've actually been sleeping through the night in ages, and dreaming again! But the drawbacks are big: I start to get panicked during the morning, and have a couple grams of Phen to keep me stable - BUT, I manage to HAVE to sleep after every meal, unless I've had HUGE amounts of caffeine or other stimulant (Pseudoephedrine works wonders, but I need to knock myself out with whatever is available if I do that).

So, bottom line is I'm giving Kava a whirl as an anti-anxiety med during the days. Thus far, I haven't been eyeing other pills or powders to calm me down...it's just day 1, but I can see that this really might be the way to get back down to at least a reasonable dose of benzos. Not quite sure if I'm going to quit (I'd like to, but sleep IS a priority)...but getting back to only taking 20-30mg diazapam a night would really be nice, without seeking something during the day.

Blessings, and best of luck to everyone!

Deleted2020_1

Kava Curious
By the way, once you take another dose of phenibut it starts the withdrawal cycle over again. And I experienced a return of acute withdrawal after about a week of going cold turkey.

ecech

Thanks - with you on the Phen withdrawals...I've been there...though they're only short lasting. It's really just a regular, good night's sleep I'm after, and have tried EVERYthing. I'm a little worried about Gabapentin, as I don't want to switch one for another. Even gabapentin says 'don't stop abruptly'...though I have, actually, and not had any terrible bouts of anxiety when used and then not. Used gabapentin secretly in rehab, and it made my days tolerable, but I'd rather not try this substitution just yet.

Yeah, w/d from phen sucks, though I have found that I can get through the day if I put no pressure on myself whatsoever...no caffeine, no work, nada. I can at least get to a point where I can use it only for sleep, and for me, that's ok. Trying kava though for now, as if I can make it through the day without taking anything else, it's really 'just what the doctor ordered' (right?!?). Here's to the natural route...cheers.

ecech

After 8 years of not sleeping due to a severe head injury (cracked half the bones in my skull - car t-bones bike, I'm on the bike), it was finally benzos that saved me. Though I've managed to up my doses rather than reduce...trying to get back to that minimal figure (25mg diazapam/night). Added phenibut and etizolam (big mistake, though the phenibut does allow me, for the first time in many years, to sleep through the night). I just don't want to take ANY of this stuff during the day...and my head sort of screams for it...all is awry, unless I take a couple grams of phenibut.

I REALLY wouldn't recommend ever combining the two (benzo's and phenibut), as it seems this makes me NEED to sleep after a meal with any carbs whatsoever. At night, this is fine, and at a minimal dosage, ie. just for sleep, it's no big deal, but they must share some elimination system which contributes to knocking me out.

Right now, doing what I can on Kava only, with the diazapam only at night. It's only day 2, but I can see the possibilities (actually fast-tapering doses of Phen and Etizolam to a minimum - apparently these are both easier to come off of than 'standard' benzos). Not sure what Kava strain I'm taking (whole powdered root from Vanuatu), though I know I need something longer acting than what I have (getting up and making tea every 1/2 hour at this point!). But as long as I feel the Kava buzz, I don't feel the need to dose on something else. Now scared of phenibut and etizolam, and decided not to order gabapentin (haven't heard of Gabitril!) and use Kava to 'go for it'.

Woke up with a Kava hangover this morning - wasn't the worst thing in the world - I just wanted to stay comfortably in bed (usually not the case - thank god it's Saturday). First coffee in days was probably not the thing to have...didn't feel it right away, and now it's indistinguishable from just plain anxiety from reduced dosages.

Yes, feeling like there's work to be done, and times I'm just going to have to feel like, well, you know...things are messy - even though my 'calculating' mind knows they're not. And I think I've found a great friend in Kava root powder (can't stand the feeling of the gelcaps - spendy, and it's the only time I've been sick). Motivates me to work!

Anyway, to those reading regarding Kava and benzo w/d, I think Kava can attenuate much of the symptoms - and from my research, because it doesn't seem to have any w/d's when stopped, it's a WAY better choice...can help during the taper, and after with PAWS. Lots of water (or coconut water - I get CocoHydro) and b-vits.

Thanks for reading...I really appreciate a group who gets what this is all about - so I can somehow, somewhere, share what's going on. Cheers!